Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,905 times

Advertisements

I just need some opinions from those who grew up here. My husband and I live in St. Charles, and have lived there for 6 years. We really like the feel of the town, as we both grew up in small towns in Northern IL where people were nice, you could get to things easily, and you just felt good being there. However, we like that Kirkwood seems to have some of that feel while being closer in to the city with better schools (we're looking to start a family soon). I'm just not sure I can leave St. Charles and the easily-friendly feel I've noticed without knowing more from the locals who grew up in Kirkwood. I've only been there a few times but it seems like a great place too. Any opinions would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Both areas "feel" pretty similar to me. If you are just looking to be closer to the city then Kirkwood would be a better choice. I don't think that price and taxes would be signficantly different except that maybe property taxes may be a little higher in Kirkwood.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
Without question Kirkwood is much different than St. Charles. From the street grid, to the housing stock to the people. I grew up in Kirkwood/Des Peres. Kirkwood has a very strong sense of community, great housing stock at a variety of price points, and a fun walkable downtown. Proximity to Webster, West County Mall, Clayton, and StL City are strong selling points.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM

102 posts, read 708,440 times
I would take kirkwood any day over st charles.....but you must like older homes. There are new homes in kirkwood with very high prices. Kirkwood is convenient, friendly, has tree lined streets and feels like a small town. You get away from the cookie cutter big box subdivisions in kirkwood.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
^
I agree with Momule, Kirkwood is a WAY better place to live than St Charles, From, the people, stuff to do, housing stock, etc.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Kirkwood is more expensive than St. Charles on the whole. Housing is difficult to compare, because it is so different, but I might guess housing of equal quality is perhaps double in Kirkwood what it would be in St. Charles. I looked at Kirkwood when house shopping recently and I was quite surprised at how much it cost to buy a decent quality home there. $200+ per square foot not at all uncommon.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
Yes, but homes in kirkwood have more charm and curb appeal in my opinion.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 PM

308 posts, read 427,498 times
While I feel they are very similar, I think K-Wood is way overrated. If you are happy in St. Chuck you will be happy in K-Wood.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_harri View Post
I just need some opinions from those who grew up here. My husband and I live in St. Charles, and have lived there for 6 years. We really like the feel of the town, as we both grew up in small towns in Northern IL where people were nice, you could get to things easily, and you just felt good being there. However, we like that Kirkwood seems to have some of that feel while being closer in to the city with better schools (we're looking to start a family soon). I'm just not sure I can leave St. Charles and the easily-friendly feel I've noticed without knowing more from the locals who grew up in Kirkwood. I've only been there a few times but it seems like a great place too. Any opinions would be helpful
Kirkwood is a nice community. Very convenient to the rest of the metro area. Predominately older homes, fewer subdivisions.

From your original post, I assume you live in old town area of St. Charles, which strikes me as looking very similar to Kirkwood.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 PM

21 posts, read 39,501 times
I would most definitely move from St. Charles to Kirkwood. No questions asked. Kirkwood is pricer but has better small town feel. My gf's daughter went to their school's for years & they have a great school system to top it off. I feel it's safer as I know St. Chas has some shady areas, Kirkwood really doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis