Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times

Advertisements

I spent two years in Oregon and really enjoyed how beautiful it was and all the outdoor opportunities. Unfortunately, my wife and I both spent the entire winter seasonally depressed. It simply was not possible for us to stay with the weather there.
Some people will have no issues with the weather in the PNW, but just like here, the weather is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
I read the Portland forum a lot and it seems almost every new transplant is strongly encouraged to do light therapy the first year or two they move there. There is one large thread where someone listed about 6 paragraphs of how much they loved it but they had to move because they had seasonal affective disorder (SAD) really bad.

It's pretty crazy that the weather can have that kind of effect on people but it's obviously very real.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
I think I get that here in January...

Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
I'd argue that it's many more than 18 days. You are including night time by dividing by 24. If you divide by say, 15 hours of daylight, that's an additional 28 days.
Totally true! It's usually my math not my logic skills that fail me!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSmith05 View Post
Hi - I have two job offers and I am kind of confused as to which one will help me make larger savings. 98k in seattle or 85k in St. Louis.

I do know that cost of living in St. Louis is pretty low but will it help me make larger savings even in 10K less salary then what I can make in Seattle.

FYI - I will be moving with my wife who is a home maker. We don't have any children yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
STLCardsBlues1989 kindly answered your question.

If you have any other questions regarding St. Louis...and/or St. Louis and Seattle, go ahead and ask. ...if your decision includes many more things than the money mentioned.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,704 times
I feel that St Louis is probably a nice place to visit once every year, but I have lived here my entire life and I'm ready for a change. The things I find most important might not be the things you find important (I am looking for an artistically rich community that embraces diversity). I would go to Washington if I were you. St Louis weather is unpredictable and people get freaked out any time the weather changes drastically (which is pretty much every day). Wiki St Louis because the info there is very informative about what to expect.

Go to Washington.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 AM

^ How old are you and what part of town do you reside where diversity is not embraced? No matter where someone lives I'd always suggest moving somewhere else for a while to experience new things. Living here without a car is certainly doable. I have several friends who are carless or who RARELY ever drive.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL2Newhere View Post
I feel that St Louis is probably a nice place to visit once every year, but I have lived here my entire life and I'm ready for a change. The things I find most important might not be the things you find important (I am looking for an artistically rich community that embraces diversity). I would go to Washington if I were you. St Louis weather is unpredictable and people get freaked out any time the weather changes drastically (which is pretty much every day). Wiki St Louis because the info there is very informative about what to expect.

Go to Washington.
Leaving the St. Louis area was the only thing that made me realize how fanstastic St. Louis really was.

Definitely get out and live somewhere else for a bit! You might find sooner than you think that you're missing the Great Forest Park Balloon Race, hot summer nights at the Muny, girls who actually like and understand baseball and gooey butter cakes.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 AM

^ and not always sitting in traffic, and a gorgeous condo I can actually afford, and a decent public transit system, and a fun free event almost every weekend, and....

StL certainly isn't perfect but is the art scene really that bad. I have 2 family members (one artist and one quilter) who make good. I was rather impartial to StL when I left, but after spending time in all 4 of the major cities in Texas, I missed gritty old brick beauty.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM

No the art scene in St. Louis isn't bad at all. It's no Chicago or NY, but there's plenty going on. There was a thread maybe a month ago by a woman considering moving to the area that detailed a lot of the St. Louis art scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis