Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:04 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,020,795 times

Advertisements

Does St. Louis do First Fridays? When i was living in Kansas City they did a thing called First Fridays' where (on the first friday of the month) all the art galleries were open, and you could stroll from gallery to gallery looking at people's work, drinking wine, and having conversations with the artists, hippies, yuppies, patrons, professors, etc...was a really good time.

As for the argument on St. Louis or Seattle, i think it basically depends on what you want from life, and how happy you think you can be with what you get.

Some folks say "if you want to own a home, you need to move to St. Louis" but you can probably own a home in either city, the size of the home may be different, but that's how it goes. If you'd like to make some $$ buying a home for cheap and reselling it higher, you'd probably have better luck in Seattle, just because the housing prices are so much higher, that a home in poor condition combined with the failed market would allow greater return on investment. There was a time when i was living in St. Louis making 60k/yr, single, had a new car, and more money than i knew what to do with. For a single 20-something, and 85k/yr salary should go plenty far, and provide you a nice quality of life.

I'd imagine though, that as a single mid 20's individual in Seattle, you could enjoy an equally enjoyable quality of life. As long as you're not strapped down with tens of thousands of dollars in student loans, the vast majority of either your money would be expendable...or give you the ability to save for retirement.

St. Louis City has done a nice ressurgance with the Loft theme. They're everywhere, and they're fairly cheap. A group of friends were renting an awesome 3 Bedroom Loft, 3 stories tall, in Soulard for $1500/mo. My wife and I bought our second home here (our first was in Olathe, KS) for around 140k with 1600 livable sf, and a 3 car garage, sitting on a half acre lot in St. Louis County (not west county, we're in the "hood" of North county, lol.).

All in all, if you're used to looking out the windows and seeing the mountains. And do some "true" mountain biking, sking, parasailing on the ocean, etc you'll probably miss seattle. That's even more true if those things are major parts of your life. If you think you'd be happy biking, running, boating, etc here in St. Louis you'll be fine. My stepfather is from Portland, OR, and i know he misses the West Coast on a daily basis and would LOVE to get back there permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis