Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,103,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
cincinnati hands down. It was eerie when i went to stl over the summer then came back. They even drive like cincinnatians!
Yep...this is true. Having known many people from cincinnati, they swear St. Louis is a carbon copy, although I would say Cincinnati is a bit more influenced by the south than St. Louis. Many from Cleveland actually feel St. Louis is a carbon copy of their city apart from the winters and summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,040,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Culturally, religiously, politically, and in terms of speech patterns, the two cities are polar opposites. Louisville is very much a Southern city with Midwestern influences...St. Louis is the exact opposite. Neither city played that large a role in the Civil War so much as the states they resided in, both of which again like the cities are now opposites of each other. The rest of the similarites you point out are pretty generic. With the weather, the seasons I agree are fairly similar, but Cincinnati's winters are more like St. Louis' than Louisville. Louisville generally doesn't get as much snow as St. Louis, nor quite as cold in the winter. Louisville is a booming city of the New South...St. Louis is a manufacturing Rust Belt city that is still attempting to recover from massive decline. The baseball connection is pretty generic as well..other than the Cards having a minor league team there. As far as fireworks displays on rivers...that kind of comes with the territory. And again, many cities are situated on rivers across from other states...Omaha, Cincinnnati, Kansas City, Wheeling, etc. Kshe95 is right....there are more similarities than differences. I felt like I was on another planet in Louisville...their way of life and demeanor is just not like St. Louis. It's Southern, and very much like Nashville and Richmond. St. Louis is more like Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, Indy, and Detroit. Even Kansas City, Minneapolis Omaha are more similar as far as culture and way of life are concerned.
Not to mention the food culture is completely different.
No similarities at all.
What the locals cook and eat in their own homes in Louisville is much more Southern influenced than anything I have ever seen and eaten in STL.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 AM

219 posts, read 510,987 times
I would agree with Cincy... unfortunately they've taken better advantage of their downtown with a usable waterway and that great museum/theater/landing/dining area.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
I would agree with Cincy... unfortunately they've taken better advantage of their downtown with a usable waterway and that great museum/theater/landing/dining area.
No argument there. Their skyline puts our's to shame. St. Louis needs to break with the tradition of not building higher than the Arch, or find a way to do it without ruining our skyline. As big a city as we are, we are just aching for a 1000 foot tall building. I think Cincy may have among the most impressive downtowns in the Midwest.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Not to mention the food culture is completely different.
No similarities at all.
What the locals cook and eat in their own homes in Louisville is much more Southern influenced than anything I have ever seen and eaten in STL.
Agreed. It's night and day.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 PM

242 posts, read 1,002,908 times
Quote:
No argument there. Their skyline puts our's to shame. St. Louis needs to break with the tradition of not building higher than the Arch, or find a way to do it without ruining our skyline. As big a city as we are, we are just aching for a 1000 foot tall building. I think Cincy may have among the most impressive downtowns in the Midwest.
You must haven't travel that much, just in the Midwest alone, you said "Cincy may have among the most impressive downtowns in the Midwest."

Have you ever heard of a city in the Midwest call Chicago? Maybe you should visit Chi-Town, then later come back here & post the most impressive downtowns in the the Midwest.

You might find it not only the most impressive in the Midwest, but the Country for that matter.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,040,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
You must haven't travel that much, just in the Midwest alone, you said "Cincy may have among the most impressive downtowns in the Midwest."

Have you ever heard of a city in the Midwest call Chicago? Maybe you should visit Chi-Town, then later come back here & post the most impressive downtowns in the the Midwest.

You might find it not only the most impressive in the Midwest, but the Country for that matter.
Um....helloooooooooooooo.............this thread is about cities most like STL.
Everyone knows STL and Chicago arent in the same league, at least as skylines go.
You did know that, right?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,652,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post

I would think "among the" is the key phrase in that sentence.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,021,618 times
Quote:
You do not need tall buildings to create a nice skyline. You need unity. The StL skyline is disjointed, with many gaps and "sore thumb" buildings.
The arch should stand out and be the tallest building.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You do not need tall buildings to create a nice skyline. You need unity. The StL skyline is disjointed, with many gaps and "sore thumb" buildings.
The arch should stand out and be the tallest building.
I'm not even going to respond except to say that that is a matter of opinion...no one person can express as a fact what the best St. Louis skyline would be. The Arch isn't even technically a building. It's a monument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis