Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Yes! Bigger is not always better! Quality over quantity. Besides, why would an urban city want to annex suburbs that are supposedly so unsustainable, inefficient and expensive to maintain. The only reason would be to make numbers look better on paper and partly disguise/dilute problems, and perhaps "redistribute" wealth in one way or another. Disguising/diluting problems, basically ignoring them, isn't going to solve anything.

Also, I tend to think power being in more people's hands, as in each municipality having it's own governance, each school district, etc. is better than centralizing power. Then cities can choose to go different routes, try different things, and learn from one another, set examples, and have their own flavor.
I also like this!

I don't understand some folks desire to have such monolithic entities of centralized power. Although, I do like alliances in which separate entities can cooperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,471 times
Why do you keep liking your own posts?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
I think school districts are exactly an example of how inefficient super small entities can be. I know this is an issue the state of Illinois has had to deal with because many Chicago suburbs have extremely small districts.

That means you have a superintendent and an assistant superintendent making six figure salaries (and get pensions) while their districts only have a few hundred kids.

The state has been trying to force consolidation -- a plan Quinn thinks could save $100 million a year. Then again, Quinn is kind of a moron so I'd take that stat with a grain of salt.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
Why do you keep liking your own posts?
Because I had forgotten I posted in this thread and when I went through it I saw I had written exactly what my thoughts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think school districts are exactly an example of how inefficient super small entities can be. I know this is an issue the state of Illinois has had to deal with because many Chicago suburbs have extremely small districts.

That means you have a superintendent and an assistant superintendent making six figure salaries (and get pensions) while their districts only have a few hundred kids.

The state has been trying to force consolidation -- a plan Quinn thinks could save $100 million a year. Then again, Quinn is kind of a moron so I'd take that stat with a grain of salt.
Interesting. Yes, smaller entities = more management, putting that management's focus on a smaller workload, and in my mind allowing said focus to be more narrowly focused on specific needs. This is exactly the approach I believe would be effective in turning around the KCMO school district and similar districts. Microdistricts. Although, I tend to peg the size of each microdistrict at around 3-4K because my model is somewhat based on small-town district sizes and applying that to neighborhoods in cities. As for efficiency, I guess you have to decide on whether the benefits are worth it. Although, I tend to think it's obvious more management focusing on more specific needs would be beneficial in the case of a difficult to manage entity like the KCMO school district. Maybe if we were putting our focus on things like this in the real world we'd be making six figures. Haha.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Whoever mentioned the annex, the annex happened in 1876, so 1880 is actually a relevant comparison. First off, St. Louis was a manufacturing city that experienced the rust belt effect combined with white flight when African Americans came in during the Great Migration. The decline of heavy manufacturing along with white flight is responsible for St. Louis' state today. As far as 1880 goes, St. Louis was a booming city then, and still contained the majority of the MSA's population. St. Louis, St. Charles, and the Metro East have urbanized and helped keep the city in its declined state.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Whoever mentioned the annex, the annex happened in 1876, so 1880 is actually a relevant comparison. First off, St. Louis was a manufacturing city that experienced the rust belt effect combined with white flight when African Americans came in during the Great Migration. The decline of heavy manufacturing along with white flight is responsible for St. Louis' state today. As far as 1880 goes, St. Louis was a booming city then, and still contained the majority of the MSA's population. St. Louis, St. Charles, and the Metro East have urbanized and helped keep the city in its declined state.
If St. Louis was able to annex St. Louis county then it would be mission accomplished right?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM

I don't think, in the long term, that a full merger makes that much sense for anyone. St. Louis city reentering the county and allowing for smart annexation where desired would make sense for both.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If St. Louis was able to annex St. Louis county then it would be mission accomplished right?
Oh at the time they thought the mission was accomplished...St. Louis County was mainly rural at the time of the annexation. From a modern standpoint the move was suicide. St. Louis City has effectively cut itself off from the vast majority of the middle to upper class citizens in the metro area, and limited its size to only 60 square miles. Downtown Clayton is stealing business from Downtown St. Louis, etc. In essence, because of the annexation, the county is slowly but surely eating the city alive.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't think, in the long term, that a full merger makes that much sense for anyone. St. Louis city reentering the county and allowing for smart annexation where desired would make sense for both.
For the city it would be an enormous benefit. Schools would improve with the extra tax dollars, the decline would slow up, etc. For the county, however, there is no reason for the merger. All it would do is increase taxes and potentially stifle our growth.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM

^The county is not growing -- it's actually shrinking -- so it didn't take the city to "stifle growth" for the county.

Additionally, combining school districts is a whole other issue entirely. There are multiple school districts in Kansas City currently, so there's no resaon to suspect St. louis schools would see any revenue increases from reentering the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis