Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM

41 posts, read 85,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
@ Noo Yinzer - I am more in the daydreaming stage for now; I love Boston but barring a dramatic change in fortunes I wouldn't ever be able to afford to buy anything here.

Idealist is great for Boston and New York but last time I checked for St. Louis, there was only 1 job posted on there and it was for one of those shady door-to-door canvassing operations! That's why I was wondering what the "go-to" sites were for St. Louisans.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck with your move! St. Louis has so many interesting neighborhoods and IMO (based on a short visit) one of the most unique cities in the Midwest. And the bang-for-your-buck factor for real estate and rental prices looks like it can't be beat.
Well, I don't know what you're looking for in the nonprofit sector, but if it's a specific field, like the arts, you could always just google museums in the St. Louis area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStLouisan View Post
You might also want to look at the areas near Tower Grove park, particularly Southwest Garden, Tower Grove South, and Shaw. Maybe even Clifton Heights. While I love living in CWE, and I think it's more walkable than the neighborhoods I just mentioned, it can't hurt to check those places out (they're all very nice neighborhoods!).
I have looked at the TGP area, seems nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
I have lived in the CWE and currently reside downtown. Both are great areas but I prefer downtown. There are more places of variety to walk to and find its easier to live without a car. Plus downtown is on a major upswing and continues to add amenities.
Sounds good! I hate needing to drive. I don't drive now because I don't need to. I'd like to limit my usage of a car when I move to as little as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYinzer View Post
glamatomic,

I'm mildly excited! I don't know what to expect and I honestly have not heard a lot of good things about St. Louis besides affordability. It doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation because of crime but coming from NYC, I know that crime tends to be concentrated in specific neighborhoods.

Anyway, hopefully one of the positions I have applied for (or will apply for) will turn out to work in my favor considering the situation.

I'll look into the lofts you mentioned. I'm pretty open to where I end up living since I know it'll be an improvement from NYC's expensive closet spaces that people seem to go crazy for here (sigh).

I'll also look into the CWE more than I am now. It's closer to Forest Park, which I think I'd like for running.

I'm aware of the car situation. It actually breaks my heart but I'll live and become a big boy that drives like the rest of America! That's actually one of the reasons I preferred to live downtown, especially Gentry's Landing. Everything seems to be within walking distance, including two grocery stores and one shop that would sell organic products. But we'll see!

I do hope I end up liking it.
I bolded that sentence because I am a runner too, and formerly lived on the intersection of Euclid and Maryland. For the running alone, consider living near Forest Park. As for organic stores, there's already a local grocery store called Straubs that I OCCASIONALLY shopped in, I say this because, yes, it is predictably expensive, but also, a Whole Foods Market is being built in this area as well, on Euclid, a block south of Lindell Blvd, or is alleged to be built. I say this because I drove by the parcel recently, and there are no indications that construction has begun, yet. But the lease was signed by WF, and I think that means there will be a future location.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I bolded that sentence because I am a runner too, and formerly lived on the intersection of Euclid and Maryland. For the running alone, consider living near Forest Park. As for organic stores, there's already a local grocery store called Straubs that I OCCASIONALLY shopped in, I say this because, yes, it is predictably expensive, but also, a Whole Foods Market is being built in this area as well, on Euclid, a block south of Lindell Blvd, or is alleged to be built. I say this because I drove by the parcel recently, and there are no indications that construction has begun, yet. But the lease was signed by WF, and I think that means there will be a future location.
Yay, another Whole Foods! The St. Louis area DEFINITELY needs more- the one in Brentwood is always so packed to the rafters with shoppers it's crazy!

I agree that Straubs is good too- expensive- but good! It's not one of my regular grocery destinations, but it's fun every once in a while!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM

85 posts, read 287,968 times
Has anyone managed to live without a car anywhere's south? Tower Grove East or South or Compton Heights or Fox Park or Benton Park West? Is there an area where Post office, bank, grocery store, pharmacy are within near walking distance? We can walk miles but not with groceries.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking9 View Post
Has anyone managed to live without a car anywhere's south? Tower Grove East or South or Compton Heights or Fox Park or Benton Park West? Is there an area where Post office, bank, grocery store, pharmacy are within near walking distance? We can walk miles but not with groceries.
I haven't lived there without a car but I think it'd be pretty easy as long as you're close to South Grand. Pretty much everything you need is along that strip. The only problem would be that there's no Metro access, but the 70 Grand bus runs up to the Grand station and it's one of the better-used busses in the system. I think it runs every ten minutes or so. Every time I'm down that way I see a lot of people actually using the busses, which is not the case in other parts of the city.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks. How far down on Grand does one need to go for the shopping? Down towards Gravois? If one were above the park on Grand, say up to Shenandoah, are there any cross streets with grocery stores, etc.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Are there places to chain bicycles near most shops? I see there is bus 10 on Gravois. Presumably it also runs frequently?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,655 times
The shopping district is mostly between Arsenal and Gravois, with the Schnuck's and Walgreen's located at Grand and Gravois. And yes, there's always somewhere to chain a bike up. That area is big with the hipsters and I always see a ton of them on bikes down there. I've actually ridden the 10 Gravois a few times and I think it only runs every 30 minutes.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks SO much. We are looking on Google Maps down South Grand and see, as you said all we need....plus the bus. Now we know were to look.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM

41 posts, read 85,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Yay, Whole Foods! I love Whole Foods. I do wonder how much cheaper it'd be compared to Manhattan, though!

The CWE seems nice but I guess I honestly won't know whether I prefer it over downtown without experiencing both. I'll just have to deal with whatever I get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis