Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM

220 posts, read 454,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Tons of places to rent in Maryland Heights along Bennington/McKelvey area off the Page Extension.
These are the areas I want to be in for commute times to work (right off of Page)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
kc chris- there are a lot of apartment blocks in Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur which have townhome configurations for some of their floorplans (ie: 2 stories). Would that suffice?
Possibly, I'm specifically looking for a garage and washer/dryer hookups, which I figure a townhome is more likely to have than most apartment complexes. Has anyone seen much of that around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I haven't lived there without a car but I think it'd be pretty easy as long as you're close to South Grand. Pretty much everything you need is along that strip. The only problem would be that there's no Metro access, but the 70 Grand bus runs up to the Grand station and it's one of the better-used busses in the system. I think it runs every ten minutes or so. Every time I'm down that way I see a lot of people actually using the busses, which is not the case in other parts of the city.

I DID live in Tower Grove East for four months WITHOUT a car. My two beaters self destructed over a three week period. It is doable if you are working downtown or within walking distance.

However, the major grocery is at Grand and Gravois and it becomes very tiresome to drag your groceries roughly thirty minutes or to take them on the bus. The buses run every TWENTY minutes in non-peak times.

Personally, I am not too keen about the Grand Station area, especially late at night.

Fortunately, both my wife and I were traveling for business during that period!!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:37 PM

41 posts, read 85,136 times
Well, it turns out that there is now officially a 100% chance that I am moving to St. Louis!

I'm quite excited, and I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful comments.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:46 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYinzer View Post
Well, it turns out that there is now officially a 100% chance that I am moving to St. Louis!

I'm quite excited, and I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful comments.

Yay!!! I'm so excited for you!!! It will be a big transition after New York, but given the chance, I know you'll love it here. St. Louis has a LOT to love!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,974 times
Two of my neighbors are from Manhattan and opening a restaurant in our neighborhood! She has been here 10+ years and one of the biggest STL supporters I know. Just get to know the area and don't expect it to be like NYC. I also second living in the CWE, Downtown, Soulard area. The Central West End is my favorite! I would be living there now, but I need/want a single family home, and those are very expensive in the CWE. I'm in Fox Park, which is also awesome, but unless you are working Downtown, would be difficult without a car.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 10,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Yay, another Whole Foods! The St. Louis area DEFINITELY needs more- the one in Brentwood is always so packed to the rafters with shoppers it's crazy!

I agree that Straubs is good too- expensive- but good! It's not one of my regular grocery destinations, but it's fun every once in a while!
Tower Grove has a grocery that carries many organic products, but more importantly, carries LOCAL products from local farmers. Meats, produce, etc. Local Harvest Grocery, also has a cafe across the street called Local Harvest Cafe that is only local and in season on the menu........it is AWESOME and the menu has both meat / veggie dishes and sandwiches, but also has vegetarian / vegan items on the menu. I have eaten just about everything on the menu and there has not been anything I haven't liked as of yet.

Local Harvest Grocery, LLC - Purveyors of Local and Organic Groceries in St Louis, Missouri

Local Harvest Cafe Tower Grove | Keeping it local.

I am not impressed with Whole Foods as they won't stand up to the Evil Empire and denounce GMO's.......

Trader Joe's does and has though, so I do frequent the Trader Joe's in Brentwood weekly along with Local Harvest Grocery.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,588 times
Why not move here . They treat out of towners better anyway. We're like Vegas. What goes on here stays here too. I guess. They need to work on treating us better. I would move to a bigger city if I were you. St. Louis is conservative really we are. Move to Chicago or a larger city if you want that type of life style, okay. St. Louis want to stay a conservative city. Really.

The truth is in this message, bottom line......

Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,588 times
I would like to here back from you on this comment answered.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:12 AM

188 posts, read 376,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavailableforthis View Post
St. Louis want to stay a conservative city. Really.
There are plenty of young people in the city, including myself, who would say that we've always been quite progressive and would welcome forward thinking people into our city. Many of us would deny that St. Louis is conservative (we are very progressive compared to the rest of the state), and even if we were conservative, we wouldn't want it to stay that way.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:25 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,655 times
I also deny that St. Louis is a conservative city. The suburbs might be conservative (as is the case in most cities), but St. Louis proper is fairly progressive. It's certainly no Portland or SF, but more like your average, garden-variety, mid-sized city liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis