Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 AM

50 posts, read 113,213 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move to St. Louis Metro from Little Rock, AR within a year or two.

I prefer to live somewhere that isn't full of rednecks (no offense) and within 35 minutes away from Downtown.

Based on my research, Arnold/Fenton both sound affordable and Chesterfield/Ballwin/Des Peres/Kirkwood all look like cheaper alternatives for Town and Country.

Clayton is too expensive. Are Webster Groves and Sunset Hills/Crestwood still expensive?

I wouldn't mind living on Illinois side. Edwardsville seems to be a little too far but Glen Carbon and Columbia aren't too far with quick access to the interstate.

What are your recommendations for St. Louis suburbs based on my descriptions above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
I am seriously considering a move to St. Louis Metro from Little Rock, AR within a year or two.

I prefer to live somewhere that isn't full of rednecks (no offense) and within 35 minutes away from Downtown.

Based on my research, Arnold/Fenton both sound affordable and Chesterfield/Ballwin/Des Peres/Kirkwood all look like cheaper alternatives for Town and Country.

Clayton is too expensive. Are Webster Groves and Sunset Hills/Crestwood still expensive?

I wouldn't mind living on Illinois side. Edwardsville seems to be a little too far but Glen Carbon and Columbia aren't too far with quick access to the interstate.

What are your recommendations for St. Louis suburbs based on my descriptions above?
Webster Groves can be expensive, it just depends. It is an older, inner ring suburb. It has a number of turn of the century victorian homes that are quite expensive, but also some smaller homes that are more affordable. Kirkwood is similar to Webster in that regard.

Crestwood is probably more reasonable, but also is an older burb with a lot of brick ranch type houses. Sunset Hills is similar to Crestwood, but has a number of newer, larger more expensive homes.

It kind of depends on your budget and what you want in terms of newer/older homes, are school districts important, do you want as more walkable area or do you want to live in a subdivision, etc.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM

50 posts, read 113,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Webster Groves can be expensive, it just depends. It is an older, inner ring suburb. It has a number of turn of the century victorian homes that are quite expensive, but also some smaller homes that are more affordable. Kirkwood is similar to Webster in that regard.

Crestwood is probably more reasonable, but also is an older burb with a lot of brick ranch type houses. Sunset Hills is similar to Crestwood, but has a number of newer, larger more expensive homes.

It kind of depends on your budget and what you want in terms of newer/older homes, are school districts important, do you want as more walkable area or do you want to live in a subdivision, etc.
I prefer walkable neighborhoods with decent to luxurious affordable rental houses or townhouses that are no more than 35 minutes away from Downtown/Busch Stadium.

I do not have any children so school districts isn't my priority. Family-oriented neigbhorhoods are fine as long there are singles available without having to go to the city for single scenes.

If I get a job transfer, MO pays more than Arkansas so my salary is more likely to be between $37,000 to $44,000 based on the job descriptions I read. Everything I have (furnitures and vehicles) is paid for so I do live comfortably without a tight budget.

I hope this helps to narrow down the choices for me. I look forward to your suggestions.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM

240 posts, read 464,985 times
NaturalARMO, why not move to the City itself? I bet you can get a beautiful home in Lafayette Square for about $200k or less. You could walk to Busch Stadium and Downtown on a nice day, and would be in a neighborhood with a wonderful park and some great shops/bars/cafes/restaurants.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM

396 posts, read 653,846 times
Quote:

Check out Maplewood / Richmond Heights

City of Maplewood - Official Website

Richmond Heights MO - Official Website

Maplewood has a nice walkable downtown - the housing is older, but cheaper than Webster - close to the city, close to Clayton and U-City -Richmond Heights is just to the north of Maplewood and reaches west all the way to the Galleria

Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,790 times
i would second the city itself for the OP. Doesn't seem like you have any reason not to consider the city- most people that have small kids or other reasons prefer the burbs, but it sounds like you would like some of the neighborhoods in the city. I enjoyed living in the Demun area of St Louis- slightly walkable and close to forest park with 5 minutes to downtown

Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
There's really no reason to live as far out as Chesterfield or Illinois if you don't have kids. The outer burbs aren't redneck by any means but you can still see signs of country creeping in every now and then. Try looking in St. Louis proper or the inner ring suburbs (Clayton, University City, Brentwood, Maplewood, Richmond Heights).

Old 08-14-2013, 09:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
NaturalARMO, why not move to the City itself? I bet you can get a beautiful home in Lafayette Square for about $200k or less. You could walk to Busch Stadium and Downtown on a nice day, and would be in a neighborhood with a wonderful park and some great shops/bars/cafes/restaurants.
A 2bd/1bath townhome for under $200k, yes. Bigger places are more. And definitely no SFH that cheap. I've always got my eye on real estate in that area, love it.

Anyways, the guy specifically mentioned the suburbs. I'd try Creve Coeur. I just saw some article that mentioned that 30ish% of that town in single.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 PM

164 posts, read 377,703 times
One would be hard pressed to find many homes in LS, as opposed to townhouses or condos, for less than $200,000 unless significant upgrades are involved. There is an 1000 sq. ft townhouse near me listed for $160,000.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:
I prefer to live somewhere that isn't full of rednecks.... Based on my research, Arnold/Fenton both sound affordable
You would definitely encounter folks in Arnold who "cling to guns and religion" to borrow one of Obama's funnier statements. Fenton is more suburban, but it blends right into Arnold. Both cities are less than 1% African American. I spent a lot of time in Fenton and many people I knew from there seemed to believe St. Louis city is a crime ridden hell hole which is only safe to visit when watching a Cardinals games (I'm only slightly exaggerating). There are communities in west county that are just as lily-white and crime fearful as Fenton/Arnold, but they tend to be less culturally rural than south county and jeff co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis