Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 12:33 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB123 View Post
From a fellow Californian, go back home. Bigotry (self-hate, phobic, closed minded) is deeply ingrained in STL. It's not only racism, but women are not respected here either. If there is anything that is different about you, other than being a white male, you will find trouble here in STL. Move back to civilization, you will be happier and healthier. I'm sorry this happened to you.
I'm a White Male and I find trouble here all the time, especially after Last Call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Again with this SBC123 guy? Dude try as hard as you want to say otherwise, but there are plenty of educated, healthy, open minded, non racist people here. I literally do not know of anyone who meets your description of the people here. AGAIN, I will point out how you have probably not even come across .05% of the people living here yet you have no problems stereotyping the entire region. If racism makes you so uncomfortable why do feel it's ok to perpetuate negative stereotypes based on geographical location? That's rather hypocritical if you ask me.

Keep trying though, it is almost amusing. Too bad some sad sap might take your ignorant posts seriously.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
Default Stl

Is this post officially dead? I found the comments about the city quite informative. I am a...how you say...transplant and I am really looking to boards like this to help get me up to speed on what to look for.

Thanks to all who took the time to comment.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
^No thread is ever truly dead, thought this one has certainly been beaten to nearly that point. Do you have a specific question?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 PM

91 posts, read 164,369 times
Well when I moved here in Dec 2009 from Pittsburgh, it was clear this city is pretty segregated. Just on the Metro you will see people often elect to stand rather than sit next to someone of a different race. In Pittsburgh, people sit wherever, its a different vibe here. Quite a bit of racism, lots of poverty and crime, people resentful of their current circumstances.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
It seems to be that a lot of transplants see a lot of racism here in St. Louis. I don't notice that much, but i'm from here. You wouldn't be the first transplant i've heard say these things if that makes ya feel better.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolas70degrees View Post
Well when I moved here in Dec 2009 from Pittsburgh, it was clear this city is pretty segregated. Just on the Metro you will see people often elect to stand rather than sit next to someone of a different race. In Pittsburgh, people sit wherever, its a different vibe here. Quite a bit of racism, lots of poverty and crime, people resentful of their current circumstances.

This seems like a strange assumption to make. If I get on public transit and there is little seating left, I often stand instead of sitting next to someone of any race. I figure I'm a young healthy woman and id prefer to save that seat for someone who actually needs it.

St. Louis is a rust belt city and it absolutely has racial issues bc of that history, but race relations have historically been less contentious here than in other places like Chicago and DC that had serious riot incidents. I see little reason to suggest race relations in St. Louis today are any worse than other cities with a similar history of northward black migration and the subsequent segregation.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This seems like a strange assumption to make. If I get on public transit and there is little seating left, I often stand instead of sitting next to someone of any race. I figure I'm a young healthy woman and id prefer to save that seat for someone who actually needs it.

St. Louis is a rust belt city and it absolutely has racial issues bc of that history, but race relations have historically been less contentious here than in other places like Chicago and DC that had serious riot incidents. I see little reason to suggest race relations in St. Louis today are any worse than other cities with a similar history of northward black migration and the subsequent segregation.
Race relations are a two way street. I've listened to black radio personalities in St. Lous named Onion Horton and Liz Brown (not sure she's still around). They were as openly racist against whites as anyone I've ever heard. Shocking, really. In fact, if a white person said similar things about blacks he or she would have been arrested, I suspect, or at least fired. We have had white flight from the city, but the census data shows we also have black flight. This is consistent with other midwestern/northern cities. If we want to become color blind we need to expect more from all races.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
Quote:

St. Louis also has a few issues that are unique as well due to being a city in a border state. The only other city that really has the combination of issues would be Baltimore.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM

91 posts, read 164,369 times
Quote:

Its not really an assumption, because a reasonable person can realize there is a difference between near capacity and when there are mostly just aisle seats open, which is what I'm talking about.

And to say, were no worse than Chicago or DC isn't saying much. This city has serious issues and most people realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis