Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay33 View Post
Okay.... Jay33 is Back...

Dudnt dah da duuuunnnnn....

I HAVE A FEW PEOPLE TO RIP APART.

E.
TomeServo-
I don't even know why I should bother. You're blowing things overwhelmingly out of proportion.
I'm not a History basher, I'm just stating that St. Louis can and will never be what other cities have amounted to and will amount to. It's History is a Key Element which prohibits wholesome progression for the mass. Alot of the things you mentioned weren't and aren't even History. They're aspects of this city, found in tons of other cities as well. It's not about the Physical Structures, but the Spirit.
[MOD CUT]

The only way I believe St. Louis will see true growth is when tons of people on Earth just suddently disappear. I mean half of the population will just vanish. Who knows from what. Maybe that second coming or just the fact that the Earth Rotates/Flips Completely from North to South every 24,000 years. That is happening in 2012.
St. Louis will be reckoned with.

" GOOGLE 2012 "

And yes, that cobble stone should be removed, or at least touched up. I mean half of the bricks are so worn down, it's amazing no one has seriously hurt themselves. At least not to my knowledge. St. Louis does things half A**.

If you're going to do it do it BIG.

And another thing. What is Ted Drewe's?
Oh, a Gooey Butter Ball

That's why Missouri was ranked the 9th FATTEST STATE OUT OF THE 50.

Get it together Native. I bet you don't even use 5% of those things you've listed on a consistent basis.

Come on, Get Real. I've touched everything on that list and they're not great. Let alone History.
I have no idea why you would think I'm blowing anything out of proportion. It was a quick response off the top of my head of a few thing that make St. Louis a "treasure" to me. I use all of the above...and then some... at least a couple of times a year. They're all great, and they all have some aspect to them that does make them unique to our city.

I was having fun with you regarding the history digs.

Even that "gooey butterball" Ted. Woo-Hoo! Top 10, baby! I love his custard stand, and it's a major reason as to why I have to spend so much time running the Forest Park bike path... but I digest.

Earth Flips, eh? Well, then count me as one who is looking forward to 2012. I'm so tired of Christmas in the Winter. It will be a nice change of pace, dontcha think?

I honestly don't mind you tearing into my city. It's been amusing to say the least.

Oh, and if you ever feel the need to hang out with some St. Louis natives, just let me know. I'd welcome you to come chill with my friends and I over a plate full of Sybergs wings and a few pitchers. We need more diversity in my circle of friends. Plus, I'm tired of being more black than our two African American friends, and I need someone who can help bring balance to the group. Whattya say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,796 times
Cool Are you serious?

I have lived in stl all my life and I am not aware of any racism ffom blacks to Asians, however that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Do you havre any contact with other asian-americans? If so ask them about their experiences. Just a thought!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:18 AM

11 posts, read 40,980 times
Lightbulb -- Where Art Thou? --

Oh My..... I Digress, but only with this small statement.

Madam ~

There could be some added nature, but didn't see the need to look like everyone else. There are about 175 Homes in my subdivision. 60% of them have personally stopped by, just to compliment me on having the Greenest, Best, Grass in the neighborhood. Probably my town for that fact, but won't bask in my own abilities too much.

Landscape... Smandscape...

Anyone that's paying you $500 CLAMS for that miniscule piece of advice, deserves to be nailed with that Ridiculously Unacceptable Quote.

$500 Bucks... You won't be laughing to the bank with my Green Backs.

I did some research though. Maybe these guys would be appreciative of your services. Lawn Service Company Now Hiring! (http://tinyurl.com/2wqyyy - broken link)

You're right though. Over-exposure is for the small. I don't know where my head was. Getting caught up in that Good Ol' St. Louis catch 22.

Enlightening Profile Description.

Degreed up I see.

Oblique -
1. Lying at a slanting angle

2. Indirect

I don't like to speak, unless I can say what's truly on my mind, in a direct fashion. Not one for euphemisms.

But I am one for a nice Shiraz, mixed with friends and frolic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
jay33, could you possibly shed some light on this oblique comment? How exactly did I "clean" aragx6 up? That is rather a broad comment about casulties, I see no welling wounds upon my person....

It's those of us whom one does not pay attention to that one must watch out for, we'll get you every time.
I did not state your home was nice, it really needs some landscaping, and that IS a professional opinion, consider that a freebie, I usually charge about $500 for that.
If you didnt wish to be exposed, you should not have laid the groundwork to make it so easy.

Last edited by Jay33; 03-28-2008 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: Spell Check

Old 03-28-2008, 05:51 AM

81 posts, read 254,387 times
Quote:

C.
Kat750 -
You may have very welled just nabbed the Gold Medal for [MOD CUT]

Are you kidding me? Blacks,.. oh, excuse me.. Poor Blacks being the most racist people in the world. The entire Universe. The Galaxy. The.. Whatever...

Do we need to go back just a couple of decades a go. Jim Crow Laws. Slavery, indoctrined/legal -- non-education of blacks. They'd be killed for it by whom...?
What Was Jim Crow?

Can we say Black Wall Street?
Whenever Blacks excelled in history, whites were right there to try and knock them down. It has happened and is still happening.
Here is a nice article to add to your Worldly Understanding.
OR GOOGLE " BLACK WALL STREET "

Greenwood, Tulsa, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Wall Street - Black People And Their Place In World History

Black on Black crime to me is analagous to: A parent showing 1 child more love than their siblling. It creates a rivalry. That was how the Willie Lynch Laws were SetUp.
THE WILLIE LYNCH SPEECH OF 1712 (http://omnist.com/COFE/lynch.htm - broken link) ( Google This Too )

Black People are strong. Blacks have been taking hits for 100's of years and are still here. I don't know if any other group would be here, if the tables were turned.

Lets not point a finger at any group being the most racist. It's a human thing. Brought about from insecurity and fear. Read Up Sonny!
Of course its a human thing. Im really not debating that. But i do feel strongly that black/reverse/whatever racism is very real. And i do believe its really hurts the community with all the misplaced anger/distrust/victimization of themselves.

Those links are all from the 20s and older. Of course that stuff was wrong, and ever since the 60s its pretty much been over.

This will turn into a pissing contest soon, we can go back and forth all day, find me some links of in the past 40 years. I understand the distrust, but i think some of your own advice needs to be followed, read up and see whats going on NOW instead of the early 1900s. Its pretty optimistic, Black incomes are up, crime is down.

IMO this is a non issue. There are plenty of whites in the same boat. Except its classism, which is really where i think the confusion comes in in regards to black people thinking racism is such a big issue. Its mostly classim at this point.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Oh My..... I Digress, but only with this small statement.

Madam ~

There could be some added nature, but didn't see the need to look like everyone else. There are about 175 Homes in my subdivision. 60% of them have personally stopped by, just to compliment me on having the Greenest, Best, Grass in the neighborhood. Probably my town for that fact, but won't bask in my own abilities too much.

Landscape... Smandscape...

Anyone that's paying you $500 CLAMS for that miniscule piece of advice, deserves to be nailed with that Ridiculously Unacceptable Quote.

$500 Bucks... You won't be laughing to the bank with my Green Backs.

I did some research though. Maybe these guys would be appreciative of your services. Lawn Service Company Now Hiring! (http://tinyurl.com/2wqyyy - broken link)

You're right though. Over-exposure is for the small. I don't know where my head was. Getting caught up in that Good Ol' St. Louis catch 22.

Enlightening Profile Description.

Degreed up I see.

Oblique -
1. Lying at a slanting angle

2. Indirect

I don't like to speak, unless I can say what's truly on my mind, in a direct fashion. Not one for euphemisms.

But I am one for a nice Shiraz, mixed with friends and frolic.

You are in dire need of a stager, thats what the $500 remark was about....... since you noted the degrees, one would think you would take advantage of anything to sell your home in this market, and get thee off to warmer climes.
-chuckilng- Really, you arent speaking your mind? Heaven help us all!

Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I don't even remember what this thread was about... shall I sing some more Joni Mitchell?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't even remember what this thread was about... shall I sing some more Joni Mitchell?
heh heh....hopefully the kids have all settled down by now

(sing away )

Old 04-05-2008, 02:13 PM
mtc

11 posts, read 31,700 times
I was visiting St. Louis at Christmas and a strange thing occurred. As I was in the check out line at Trader Joe's in Des Peres, I began a harmless conversation with the guy bagging my stuff about the fact that one could buy wine in his store in Mo,but in the Northeast,, where I reside, one can not buy wine in Trader Joe's. Inexplicably, he turned the conversation to the fact that he was much better treated as a black man in Boston vs St. Louis. The chit chat continued just a few minutes with him going on to his experience as a West indian transplant and the diffuculty he had here being taken seriously. As I walked out of the store, I was at a loss to understand the conversation. Do people in St. Louis regularly discuss their issues with race with that much abandon? To strangers?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I've heard that Boston also has issues about race relations.

But that is strange that someone would just strike up that kind of conversation with a stranger. Maybe he needed to get something off his chest.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:06 PM

17 posts, read 100,792 times
St. Louis is probably the most racist major city in the country (aside from Cincinnati). I'm originally from Atlanta, and when I moved here I was surprised how less tolerant people are here. As has been mentioned by a couple replies, St. Louis and Missouri as a whole suffers from the lasting effects of race and it's contribution to the development of the State. I don't think it's fair to offer slavery as simply the explanation for the state of race in St. Louis. Though there were many others slave states, few retain the same mindset of those in St. Louis. After all, the settlement of Missouri was a race between pro-slavery and anti-slavery forces. As we all know, the pro-slavery forces ultimately outnumbered the anti-slavery faction. So in essence the modern day Missouri (and St. Louis) was settled by not only proponents of slavery, but the most die-hard of them. Perhaps this helps to explain the continued state of race relations in St. Louis.

I'm sure I'll be attacked by some of the natives of St. Louis. I'm not saying that St. Louisans of today are the same ignorant "backwater" type of people that insisted on having slavery here. However, the racism of today doesn't occur in a vacuum, there are obviously remnants of the past that have been perpetuated (whether willingly or unwillingly) through to the current generation.

On a personal note, I am a African American male who has encountered more racism in St. Louis than in any other place I have lived. If you're black in St. Louis, you learn pretty quickly that you're not welcomed in St. Charles or Jefferson counties. Of course not everyone in St. Louis is racist, but is that of any comfort when you've just been discriminated against for nothing more than your skin color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis