Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 PM

389 posts, read 902,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I prefer NCAA over NBA as well.
I know you do skip, you strike me as the type that would. I don't care though. You haven't said why so it isn't important to me. Although I'm sure your opinion will fall in line w/ 'scrappy zone defense' and 'passing'.

Robb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4BVl2lZnuw Coach Bobby Knight talking about traveling calls. Sounds like this problem isn't unique to the NBA. Its a great video by the way Knight really breaks it down.
He even highlights 5 steps on Hansborough. Booyah!!! Arch for the win!!!

Last edited by arch_genesis; 05-20-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM

YouTube - Duke travel. How many steps? I count 12! another ncaa blown travel non-call. you're ncaa isn't perfect and with what's left in the nba vs ncaa debate nba wins hands down.

I'd also argue that traveling is more of an NCAA problem as they lack the fundamentals.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:17 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
You didn't address:

zone defense not being a real defensive scheme
a 19 foot three point line
a **** poor talent pool

Please show me the constant traveling you see. You see replays provided to you at a different angle at a different speed most people aren't going to catch that in the game. There is an error when you're dealing with humans.

Nothing wrong with zone defense

The three point line isnt as far because the players in college arent not as physically developed as NBA players. Common sense, they are younger and still not finished growing. They moved it back this season and plan to do it again in the next few seasons.

If the college talent pool is so poor then why does the NBA draft players from it?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I know you do skip, you strike me as the type that would. I don't care though. You haven't said why so it isn't important to me. Although I'm sure your opinion will fall in line w/ 'scrappy zone defense' and 'passing'.

Robb.
YouTube - Knight Watch: Officiating [Ridiculous NCAA Basketball Traveling] - HQ Coach Bobby Knight talking about traveling calls. Sounds like this problem isn't unique to the NBA. Its a great video by the way Knight really breaks it down.

Of course, it is missed from time-to-time.

You are missing my point.

In college it is still considered illegal to travel. Of course it is missed, all calls in every sport are missed.

In the NBA it is not only accepted but it is the norm. The NBA knows that elaborate dunks sell so they dont call travelling knowing that it will increase the amount of dunks because it makes it impossible to defend.

Every single day on sportscenter, they show NBA highlights where player has travelled. Not just one or two steps but several. It is accepted.

I watch a lot of college basketball and the refs are so picky with travelling that I see travelling called when I couldnt even tell they travelled. I am talk about cases where players slipped their foot a couple of inches. That is how the game should be called.

Anyway, I am done with this discussion. You continue to watch your NTA that you consider basketball and I will watch the real sport.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Nothing wrong with zone defense

The three point line isnt as far because the players in college arent not as physically developed as NBA players. Common sense, they are younger and still not finished growing. They moved it back this season and plan to do it again in the next few seasons.

If the college talent pool is so poor then why does the NBA draft players from it?
because out of the thousands of ncaa players the nba can manage to find 60 that are capable of playing in the nba.

60 divided by 1000 is 0.060. Also the nba has pipelines in many other countries. Not even all 60 players drafted are from the ncaa.

Traveling is the norm in the nba. How is it the norm in the nba exactly?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM

YouTube - Jon Scheyer Moon Walks Across the floor: Traveling NOT Called (HD)

how can refs call travel on inches but miss plays like these? These are calls against Duke and UNC two of the biggest college basketball programs going.

Also anybody can hit from 19 feet don't make that excuse its a jumpshot. The WNBA hits those shots and they're not going to be as strong as NCAA players.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
I'll be happy to, I'll let you guys know if I find anything out. I think its an interesting thing to look at. 42 years, there's no NHL team in KC or Memphis Or Indianapolis. I don't know about the blues broadcasting history though, it might not be as impressive as the cardinals but we'll see. Its one of the oldest teams in the league though but they've never played for a stanley cup so it'll be interesting to see where their national following is in regards to non-regional attendance.

I'll let you guys know.
St. Louis Blues broadcasting history: KMOX for a long time similar to the Cardinals, and for decades they had arguably and imo the greatest broadcaster in the history of St. Louis for any sport, Hall of Famer Dan Kelly. And, there have been some great ones. Just look up in the rafters at the Scottrade Center.

The Blues are not one of the oldest teams in the league. They were an expansion franchise in the late 1960's.

The Blues have played in three Stanley Cup Finals, in 1967-68, 1968-69, 1969-70

The Cardinals were founded in the 1800's. The Blues were founded in the late 1960's. Baseball has always had a larger audience than hockey, though hockey has always been extremely popular in St. Louis and near St. Louis since the Blues arrived. The region? Well, the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings were founded in 1926, or about twice as long or so as the Blues have been in existence.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:

Robb.
YouTube - Knight Watch: Officiating [Ridiculous NCAA Basketball Traveling] - HQ Coach Bobby Knight talking about traveling calls. Sounds like this problem isn't unique to the NBA. Its a great video by the way Knight really breaks it down.
Ok Mr. Smartass.

I enjoy it more for multiple reasons.

1. Growing up in the metro east area, I never identified with an NBA team as St. Louis did not have one. However, within 2 hours of me I had SLU, UIUC, and Mizzou.

2. The regular season in the NBA is god awful boring for me, whether they are playing a division or conference game. While in college, just about any conference game in the Big 10, ACC, and Pac 10 is going to be exciting. While there are alot of throw away games prior to the start of conference games, you also get great matchups at the early season tourneys as well as the Big Ten / ACC Challenge.

3. The atmosphere at NBA games is incredibly dull.

4. One on one matchups are boring for me, I paid to watch 10 people on the court, not two.

If you want more i'll be sure to list them.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 PM

Fishtacos I stand corrected. I don't like hockey so I don't follow the blues. Thanks for the information though. That'll put what I'm looking for in better perspective, thanks.

Skip calling me a smartass was uncalled for, I'm not going to seek your conversation anymore, thanks.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
because out of the thousands of ncaa players the nba can manage to find 60 that are capable of playing in the nba.

60 divided by 1000 is 0.060. Also the nba has pipelines in many other countries. Not even all 60 players drafted are from the ncaa.

I know I said I was done but I just cant resist.

The NBA doesnt have the amount of players that NHL, NFL, or MLB has so they can only draft two rounds. If the rosters were larger or if they had more teams, they would draft more players.

Only drafting two rounds isnt due to the lack of talent in college but rather the lack of available roster sports for rookies.

60 each year is 10% of the players in the NBA. I would say that is pretty good. That is likely equivelant to all the other pro leagues in the US.

Quote:
Traveling is the norm in the nba. How is it the norm in the nba exactly?
I explained this earlier. It happens multiple times a game and is excepted. The refs dont call it. It is the norm to take place on damn near every single possession a team has without being called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis