Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times

Advertisements

Totally true. Instead of dealing with the problems of the city, those with the means, just built homes farther out. And over the course of the last like 60 years people have just moved farther and farther out. That's why Warrenton is the new "hot spot." Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 PM

238 posts, read 332,368 times
Don't count the city out! While the media didn't necessarily cover it and people therefore didn't comprehend it, the city has ALWAYS had nice areas to live in. Did certain areas go down? Yep, but other areas such as Southwest city kept perking right on along!

It's easier to develop that it is to redevelop and I think that accounts for a certain amount of the boom that is still going on on the fringes, but the closer in areas are starting to hold their own...even areas that did go downhill with the advent of the highway system!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
It's easier to develop that it is to redevelop
I never thought about it quite like that, but it's very true!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM

19 posts, read 30,044 times
Default The City...

"Looking for somewhere to live in St. Louis."

Then the thread goes on and asks for NOTHING in city limits, the further west the better. I'm glad you mentioned this. I wish more people would put thought in to the city if people would get steered there. Unfortunately, people from outside of the city often have a great fear for it.

I regret DAILY moving to the suburbs and getting stuck here. Though, it could be worse, I could have wound up in a Missouri suburb...blech.

Must say that I agree with the sentiment, I grew up in rural Jefferson County, lived in Ballwin for a period of time and now live in LaSalle Park -just north of Soulard and east of Lafayette Square- all three communities together use to comprise 'French Town.' I do not believe I could ever go back to the suburbs. We've been spoiled by living here, I like the diversity of restaurants, pubs, attractions that exist here.

Having worked in new construction in west county for a number of years I cannot help but be reminded of The Monkees song 'Pleasant Valley Sunday.' Please don't misunderstand, I simply find the homogeneity of the suburbs uninspiring when compared to what I've experienced in living in the city...

Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM

It all depends upon what floats you boat. I've lived in a loft downtown (before it became hip or at least expensive) and now I live on an acre in far north county. I enjoyed both and can appreciate what both has to offer.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM

117 posts, read 411,121 times
I knew nothing about LaSalle Park and didn't realize it comprised an area called "French Town" with Lafayette Square and Soulard. I'll have to look into it. Amazing what you can learn on these threads. I guess procrastination has its upside

Glad to hear you've had such a good experience, Photoglyph. I will google LaSalle park almost immediately.

Isn't Benton Park adjacent to these areas too? I've read it's a revitalizing neighborhood as well. Any one familiar with it?

And doesn't Cherokee Street also touch base in that neighborhood. Last time through Cherokee struck me as a place just begging for redevelopment.

All of which brings me, for some strange reason, to Carondelet. Only have the most indistinct memories of the Park and the neighborhood surrounding it, but what I do remember was lovely. Never really went down, did it?

Last edited by anduarto; 02-22-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: diction

Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Benton Park and Cherokee street both are doing much better these days, lots of action, but of course still a long way to go.

Carondelet went a little downhill I'd say, as really all of the city did for some time, but never to the extent of other places. Lots of new development and renewal is going on there as well.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 PM

40 posts, read 144,901 times
Default one native's thoughts

I grew up in St. Louis Hills in the city limits, and that has always been a lovely area. When I moved back to town, we settled on an older Chesterfield home, primarily because I worked near there, and we wanted a decent public high school for our two teens. Like with many boomers, we wanted a good school district, which the city sadly lacks, and we couldn't afford most of the private or religious high schools. But if that's not an issue, and you don't mind commuting a little. I love the older homes around Francis Park. If I was 25-35 w/o kids, and worked downtown, I'd be there now. There are a ton of boomers turning 50 now that are empty nesters and moving back into core central cities all over the country.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 AM

Djeep: You're definately right about the empty nesters moving back into the core areas of all kinds of different cities. Theres no doubt that it's easier to make the decision to live in the city if you don't have sending kids to school as a primary consideration.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 AM

19 posts, read 44,440 times
I agree. I am originally from NYC and would love to live in a part of the city of St Louis that is historic and culturally diverse with much activity. The only catch is I have four children (2.5. 4, 12, and 15) and I need to make sure where we live has great schools and is safe.

Do those exist? If, so please direct me to these neighborhoods so I can check them out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis