Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:29 PM

543 posts, read 395,538 times

Advertisements

It's the size city I like. I think of it as a medium sized city vs. large or small, and a medium sized city is tops in my book. We have a great zoo, great museums, parks, a wonderful rep theatre. It's easy to get anywhere. Housing is affordable, but more costly than small towns for sure. We get lots of the big concerts and traveling Broadway shows. It's so easy to get around. For a big concert or show, I just leave my house an hour before starting time. // It's big enough that in most generalized professions if you want to change companies there are usually other choices for you.

Maybe I life a sheltered life in my little neighborhood and have rose colored glasses, but it surprises me that there isn't more love for St. Louis on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
it surprises me that there isn't more love for St. Louis on this forum.
Considering how overhyped some cities are, I agree. Some cities posts every little thing their city does and they honestly believe they are the only city with xyz thing.

I love St. Louis for many reasons.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Maybe I life a sheltered life in my little neighborhood and have rose colored glasses, but it surprises me that there isn't more love for St. Louis on this forum.
I think most of the St. Louisans on the forum love it, but the ones who don't make a lot of accounts.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:47 AM

685 posts, read 768,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think most of the St. Louisans on the forum love it, but the ones who don't make a lot of accounts.
We'd be Babylon if we had a dime for every fake account and one-post wonder on this forum.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM

201 posts, read 220,361 times
Quote:
It's the size city I like. I think of it as a medium sized city vs. large or small, and a medium sized city is tops in my book. We have a great zoo, great museums, parks, a wonderful rep theatre. It's easy to get anywhere. Housing is affordable, but more costly than small towns for sure. We get lots of the big concerts and traveling Broadway shows. It's so easy to get around. For a big concert or show, I just leave my house an hour before starting time. // It's big enough that in most generalized professions if you want to change companies there are usually other choices for you.

I agree. I mean, it is big enough to still qualify as a major city, but it is not a huge city, which I feel is a great fit. St. Louis does have a lot to offer and there are plenty of landmarks, foods, etc. that shape its identity as a major city. I think a lot of the bashing it's getting on here comes from people who either had bad experiences or there are only three cities in the country that fit their definition of a big city, so naturally St. Louis doesn't live up to their outrageous expectations.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Over in the southeast FL forum I'm arguing with a lady who makes good money, 80k a year in her St. Louis job and thinks she can move to Miami and be able to live the same as St. Louis and find good housing for the same price as St. Louis LOL and thinks cost of living will be the same or cheaper in SEFL LOL. She's in for a huge shock down here with the housing cost, insurance cost, homeowners insurance and such. Good luck finding the same pay here in Florida for the same job.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Pittsburgh's downtown is actually quite small in land area (you can easily walk to its northernmost, southernmost, easternmost & westernmost reaches without breaking much of a sweat). I've been to St. Louis various times (though it hasn't been since 1981) and, from what I saw of downtown St. Louis, though I didn't systematically explore every square inch of it and its entire strtech of land area, seemed to impress me as that much "bigger" than Pittsburgh's downtown area . . . unless my perceptions and remembrances are incomplete or off to whatever degree.
Downtown St. Louis is bigger, but downtown Pittsburgh is taller and denser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julsstlouis View Post
But you have to also consider the city/county divide. Not too many other areas have 2 downtown districts either. When you factor in Downtown Clayton, that makes up for the large-ness of downtown Cincy or Pittsburgh because that's the only downtown district they have. Take Clayton and downtown St. Louis and you'll get the total feel of what the metro downtown would really look like.
I can't speak for Cincinnati, but Pittsburgh has more than one substantial business district. Two miles east of downtown Pittsburgh is the neighborhood of Oakland, where the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University are. Aside from the academic buildings, there are many highrise and midrise office buildings, and an increasing number of midrise residential buildings. Pittsburgh doesn't have a substantial business district in the suburbs, but it has more than one in the city.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 PM

597 posts, read 667,635 times
It feels urban, but not big. I've been to bigger cities that seem less urban. And, I'm not just talking negative urban - run down property, crime, etc.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:42 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times
To me, after almost ten years of residence, St Louis is humongous in territory (hard to get around in) but small town in atmosphere (friendly, helpful and laid-back in attitude). So, I guess we choose between convenience and social comfort (whatever that is). Just my personal reaction but it seems to be a city where relaxation and fun is more important than working hard for a living and advancement.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,811 times
I don't think population alone tells the whole story. St. Louis was a top 10 city from 1850-1960, which is a stature that the vast majority of American cities have not and will never achieve. That legacy makes the city feel much more urban and seasoned than a lot of the new Sunbelt cities like Austin, Houston, Phoenix, etc that kind of feel like amateurs in comparison (in my opinion anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis