Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabetteInSTL2 View Post
Also, Louigi's pizza on Arsenal and I think Old Watson Road? The pizzas were square and really good.

My mom talks about the tamales they sold down on broadway. Anyone know that recipe?
I'm bad because I don't know the name of the place at this moment, maybe someone will chime in with it, but Luigi's pizza is again available. One of the family members has a restaurant on St. Charles Rock Road and has been advertising that their pizza is the original square Luigi's pizza, in fact a Post-Dispatch reviewer recently reviewed it and agreed with how great it is. I used to go to the Luigis on Manchester at 270 and the one on Watson, just south of Arsenal. I have got to get to the new place.

Your mother isn't the only one who talks about those tamales. My brother in law who is in his upper 70s also talks about them selling from carts near Fairgrounds Park. Swears there is nothing like it.

EDIT: Here's the new place: http://megliositalian.com/ AND Meglio's Italian Grill & Bar User Reviews - Hazelwood, MO 63044 - Citysearch

Luigis story (careful, the pizza picture will bring back unbelievable memories: Luigi

Last edited by RickMG; 06-18-2008 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
I'm bad because I don't know the name of the place at this moment, maybe someone will chime in with it, but Luigi's pizza is again available. One of the family members has a restaurant on St. Charles Rock Road and has been advertising that their pizza is the original square Luigi's pizza, in fact a Post-Dispatch reviewer recently reviewed it and agreed with how great it is. I used to go to the Luigis on Manchester at 270 and the one on Watson, just south of Arsenal. I have got to get to the new place.

Your mother isn't the only one who talks about those tamales. My brother in law who is in his upper 70s also talks about them selling from carts near Fairgrounds Park. Swears there is nothing like it.

EDIT: Here's the new place: http://megliositalian.com/ AND Meglio's Italian Grill & Bar User Reviews - Hazelwood, MO 63044 - Citysearch

Luigis story (careful, the pizza picture will bring back unbelievable memories: Luigi
Rick, please post a review, I am gonna be in Mo in August, I would love to have some Luigi's!
Daddy used to bring it home for us when I was a little girl, loved it!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
I found out that The Arena was called Oakland Arena. I knew it was called the Checkerdome. But I didn't know it was called the Oakland Arena.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I found out that The Arena was called Oakland Arena. I knew it was called the Checkerdome. But I didn't know it was called the Oakland Arena.
Wow, when was that? I remember it being the Checkerdome, that was in the '70's, dont ever remember it being called the Oakland Arena.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
It was on Oakland Ave.

Some site I read said it was called Oakland Arena.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
It was on Oakland Ave.

Some site I read said it was called Oakland Arena.
could you pm me a link to the article? i honestly dont remember it ever being called that, and we had season tickets to the Blues while my daddy was still living, went to a bunch of concerts there, too. maybe i am getting youngheimers?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,093 times
Actually, it was the Arena forever before Ralston Purina bought the Blues in the '70s and changed the name to the Checkerdome. It was changed back to the Arena after Ralston sold the Blues. As for it being called the Oakland Arena, I didn't know that, but the arena has been around a lot longer than I remember. As a kid my dad used to take us there for the Ringling Bros. Circus and for rodeos. I saw the Three Stooges there as a kid too. Oh the memories. By the way, I was born in 1950, so I'm not that ancient.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Maybe should have a thread devoted to this grand building by itself?

//www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...ml#post4167413

Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Maybe should have a thread devoted to this grand building by itself?

//www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...ml#post4167413
you with the links, I love it! I always remembered it as just the Arena, or the Barn... damn, it was always cold in there, even in the summer.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM

10 posts, read 54,952 times
I miss the circus at the arena too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis