Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 07:58 PM

23 posts, read 61,274 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to St Louis in May from the East Coast. I'm a bit of a foodie and love to try regional (and otherwise excellent) foods from local/non-chain restaurants. But I will be traveling with my 6 year old, whose food groups include sugar, yogurt, hotdogs/burgers, and Mexican. Lol. Can anyone point out some delish places to try excellent food that also might have something that a picky kid might eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,699,255 times
I've got a 2 year old, here are some favorites:

For BBQ: The Shaved Duck or Salt & Smoke. There are other really great options but they're more fast casual with gigantic lines that we have no patience for with kids, haha.

Pastaria (italian place run by well known chef, but definitely family friendly. same chef runs a fast casual place, Porano Pasta, downtown, but haven't been).

Crown Candy Kitchen (STL institution, known for gigantic BLTs, gigantic milkshakes, and they have lots of sweets, too)

Gribic for Bosnian (huge refugee population here)

Rooster or Southwest Diner for breakfast

Bailey's Range is so popular downtown, but I think the burger patties themselves are not good regardless of the rave reviews--I've been more times than I can count...5 Star or Stacked are way better.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 AM

197 posts, read 266,309 times
Lona's Lil Eats. Not sure about kids menu there, i'm sure they must have something though.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,406,757 times
Reeds American Table in Maplewood is great and comfort food oriented. Your child could definitely get a burger there
The Tavern in the Central West End is also good (similar style) with a kids menu

Picky kids make it hard...mine are older now and can go to more places with us and find something (although my 7 year old is still tough).

My youngest will eat the quesadilla at Seoul Taco, while I prefer the spicier Bulgogi beef tacos. It's a St. Louis place but it's turning into a chain...so good, very casual.

I love Salt and Smoke too, although I like Sugarfire more for BBQ. My boys love ribs though, no matter where they come from

Take your 6 year old to Ted Drewes for sure.

We love City Coffeehouse and Creperie in Clayton for breakfast. My kids love the Nutella and banana crepes. I think they are better crepes than Rooster, but we like Rooster too.

I'll try to think of more places my kids enjoy. We go out to the foodie restaurants more often on date nights though.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:57 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,492,085 times
A really cool place is Fountain on Locust, which is an old-style ice cream parlor that is also serves food and is known for "adult" ice cream related beverages. Great place to bring kids. It's close to Pappy's, which is probably the most famous BBQ place in STL (though can get long lines) as well as Southern, which is an awesome Nashville style Hot Chicken place.

A good resource for "foodie" type places is the Post Dispatch Top 100:

https://graphics.stltoday.com/apps/stl100-2018/

By the way, City Museum is a must when visiting STL with kids.

Last edited by Angus215; 05-03-2018 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 03:24 PM

374 posts, read 567,523 times
I recall The Old Spaghetti Factory having a kid-interesting interior, ~ 1984, pedal cars & airplanes hanging from the rafters. I see they have a kids menu.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,699,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
I recall The Old Spaghetti Factory having a kid-interesting interior, ~ 1984, pedal cars & airplanes hanging from the rafters. I see they have a kids menu.
Ha, my best friend used to work there. It's a national franchise, not very "foodie"

Old 05-04-2018, 12:14 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,884,010 times
I second the Fountain on Locust!!! My kids really enjoy it, as do I!

Also, not exactly "foodie", but check out The Urban Fort just south of downtown. They have a cafe with some pretty decent offerings (for parents and kids), but the main attraction is the big indoor play space with lots of toys, a "fort", etc! It is contained enough that you can sit and enjoy your lunch and coffee while your little one plays.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:22 PM

197 posts, read 266,309 times
Take your child to the City Museum Downtown and they have this restaurant there: Samwiches | Food in the City Museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis