Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,442 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm from Saint Louis born and raised, but lately my spouse and I (25 & 30) have been considering moving to somewhere a little farther south with perhaps less crime. We don't want to be too far from Saint Louis as my parents are here and not in the best of health..we've tossed around the idea of Nashville, Louisville, Lexington, Asheville, Greenville. I am an RN with my BSN so a good hospital/healthcare system is important, we have three large dogs so somewhere with decent land is also important, we're foodies and love bar hopping so a walkable city would be fantastic. Has anyone made the leap out of Saint Louis, if so where did you move and did you regret it?
It's a huge decision, thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 02:24 PM

858 posts, read 424,313 times
I would suggest moving this thread to the general US forum, as this forum is pretty lightly trafficked.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:19 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I recommend anyone to leave their hometown for someplace different. St. Louis isn't the only great place to live.

I moved to North Carolina when I left St Louis in the early 90s. I found it to be different and definitely a learning experience. One thing I quickly learned is the grass wasn't always greener on the other side. Crime is everywhere. But it forced me out of my comfort zone and met some really cool people. Within 6 months I learned how to enjoy the new experience.

I would recommend that you look at your pay vs cost of living when considering any city to make sure that you are moving to a comparable or better life.

Now I've been back in St. Louis since 14 and can really appreciate the good things about the city.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Nashville is the only city I've been to out of that list. It's a fun city, but the traffic is a nightmare. They do have a commuter train, but it doesn't seem very popular. You can stop the car in Paducah about half-way there for a decent variety of restaurants.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:49 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I like the cities you mentioned, headed to Louisville tomorrow for a short weekend vacation with DW. Nashville’s traffic IS horrible, that’s a truth. They’re also going through a major boom right now, their downtown is adding offices and hotels at an alarming rate, while the median home price is increasing dramatically. I’ve seen entire neighborhoods on the western side of town get scraped for new home construction, it’s kind of crazy.

I haven’t been to Asheville for any real length of time, and honestly can’t remember if I’ve even gone through Lexington. Greenville was nice, and quiet. I guess if I wanted to live in a bustling city, it’d be Nashville and if I wanted quieter it’d be Louisville...and both are definite “Cities” by any definition. The others on your list would be more “large, small towns” and I’d be interested only if small town living, with bigger city amenities was what I was after.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:16 AM

6 posts, read 4,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I guess if I wanted to live in a bustling city, it’d be Nashville and if I wanted quieter it’d be Louisville...and both are definite “Cities” by any definition. The others on your list would be more “large, small towns” and I’d be interested only if small town living, with bigger city amenities was what I was after.
Having visited both Greenville and Asheville, I can definitely agree with this. I'd do some research and visiting (if possible) to get a better feel for the towns. I'm not quite sure either town has nearly the events/food/culture/sports scene that STL has. So, it depends on how important those things are to you. Ex: if you really enjoy cards games, or the STL symphony, or Ethiopian food- you may be driving to ATL for these types of things.

If you spend your free time outdoors, then Asheville seems to be a good place to be. I've often considered relocating there as well. Greenville has more amenities. Either place seems to have enough transplants to where you can still make new friends and have a social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: