Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 85,007 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have just moved to St. Louis by Tower Grove Park. I have visited the places that tourists and new arrivals visit, the botanical gardens, the loop, forest park, etc. It occurs to me that all of this is in south city. So, what is there to see and visit north of town? Is anything worth the drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
North city is mostly residential. Not a lot of touristy things to see there. There is the standpipe water tower in North City (St. Louis has 3), but I'm not sure that one does tours (there's another tower at Compton Reservoir Park I think). There's Crown Candy Kitchen, which I've is very good.
Crown Candy Kitchen :: www.crowncandykitchen.net

And welcome to St. Louis!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:12 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Olivia - if you want to go further north, might wander up to Pere Marquette State Park - Grafton, Illinois, enjoying the drive itself and the destination.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,053 times
Let's say that North St. Louis is VERY rough compared to the areas of the city you have seen so far. Since you're not far, I suggest taking one of the main thruways of the city north of Delmar, like Grand or Kingshighway, and you can see what I'm talking about. Blocks and blocks of empty green lots, abandoned industrial buildings, and dilapidated houses that were once some of the most beautiful in the entire city.

I don't think there are any real tourist attractions in the area like there are the farther south you go. As STLBluesCards said, Crown Candy Kitchen on St Louis Ave is a fantastic place to go (much better than Ted Drewes in my opinion), but you have to go through a hell of an area of town to get there, since Old North St. Louis feels all but disconnected from Downtown, even with renovations taking place as we speak.

There is nothing there I can recommend to a passing tourist, but if you are curious, I recommend that you take a drive through the area to see what it's like nowadays. Just remember to lock your door!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Smile St. Louis...a great city in many ways

Hello: might try clicking on this link. Perhaps something will attract your attention:

........//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...ecreation.html

Welcome to my hometown!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Crown Candy!!

It's a St. Louis tradition ... anyone been over there since they've been building the new development? I'm curious to see how it's going...

Old 01-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Old North St. Louis Restoration Group | Working to build an Urban Village on the Edge of Downtown St. Louis :: Home

http://onsl.org/blog/

Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM

214 posts, read 691,843 times
I lived at the Park Plaza in the late 1980s and drove through on Kingshighway many times. There were beautiful homes, stupendously beautiful homes in fact and in such disrepair. It makes an architectural buff such as myself damn near cry. I'm moving back to STL in June and interested in getting involved with a restoration group--I'm a decorative painter by trade.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM

That's good to hear. There's probably some kind of contact number on that webpage I have if you want to get in contact with ONSL restoration group.

http://onsl.org/contact/

Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 PM

215 posts, read 712,887 times
Crown Candy is the best! Best chocolate milkshake I've ever had. Wish I could have one right now! I don't know if they still have it, but they used to have a challenge where if you can drink 5 of their milkshakes in 30 minutes, then they are free and you get your name on a plaque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis