Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times

Advertisements

We won't be staying here, but the 2 years we have been here STL has made us very happy. There is much to do, and you can't beat Forest Park.

... and lol at a realtor telling someone they have to live in a certain part of the city. That's when you report that realtor and move on to another one.

I have not met one racist person yet (white or black), but we have stayed mainly in "center city", "south city", "downtown", "u-city" or "mid-metro". Don't know much about south county or west county or north county.

Outside of a few areas, the city is pretty segregated (both racially and economically). However, anyone ever been to a city that is not segregated to some point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM

266 posts, read 464,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromatlanta View Post
I'm happy, hope you're happy too. I have lived in the West county suburbs for 6 weeks, and no one has threatened to kill me for being white yet. When I moved to the black mecca of Atlanta 21 years ago, it only took about a week for that to happen, and all I was doing was eating by myself in a Church's Fried Chicken in the heart of Midtown Atlanta. I can't count the number of times I was threatened while living there and I was assaulted once, and told that I was a white devil by the kid sacking my groceries at Kroger one day. The manager of the store did not even care enough about the incident to reprimand the guy. Maybe Venomous should move to Atlanta, I suspect he will fit in well there. I think I'll stay here. The place is clean, beautiful, the people I've met have been friendly and helpful and there are plenty of recreational opportunities here in the burbs. If I choose to go downtown to take advantage of the many cultural amenities, at least I'll know what areas to avoid. Black people killing black people is a shame and a tragedy, but it does not happen because white people are racist.

Maybe because West County is predominately white? I live here, and the area I live is all white. Anyway St. Louis is sort of a segregated city, and while racism does exist here, it exists in other cities too. I love St. Louis anyway.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,989 times
Well, after living here three months, I would say that most people here are not happy. Most people here are rude, narrow-minded, somewhat racist, crabby and in poor health. The local cuisine appears to be tobacco, thin beer and grease.

Recretaional activities in St. Louis include sitting in the garage on a lawn chair and smoking cigarettes, rushing off to church and then the buffet, and watching a lot of television.

Last edited by Mr Perfect; 02-07-2010 at 08:30 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Perfect View Post
Well, after living here three months, I would say that most people here are not happy. Most people here are rude, narrow-minded, somewhat racist, crabby and in poor health. The local cuisine appears to be tobacco, thin beer and grease.
Way to generalize, I think it has a lot to do with where you live. When I first moved to STL I lived in an area in the burbs that I hated. If I had left the STL area right after that I would not have been happy with the area. I moved to the city and couldn't be happier. Our neighborhood is extremely open minded, very mixed, we have 5 microbrewerys within a mile of my house and a vegan restaurant I can walk to. Our neighborhood is very active with a huge chunk of our neighbors biking downtown to work. When the weather is decent, you can find a ton of people out in the parks exercising, playing kickball, soccer, etc. Maybe you should explore a little bit and find a neighborhood you like. Three months is not a long time, especially since you have just been here in the winter time.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
Quote:

Recretaional activities in St. Louis include sitting in the garage on a lawn chair and smoking cigarettes, rushing off to church and then the buffet, and watching a lot of television.
Where in the world are you living? I can guarantee my CITY neighborhood is nothing like this. You talk about people being rude? You sound extremely rude and judgemental.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Quote:

I know you think you're clever. You just sound close-minded and judgmental yourself.

If you really want to experience St. Louis, get out of the suburbs.

I do think every place is what you make of it. If you come to St. Louis determined not to like it, then you won't like it.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
You should expand your social circle. I hated it here at first too--the only people I knew well were my roommate and her group of friends. They were racist, unhealthy, rude--pretty much what I classify as "white trash." These people exist in St Louis, but the majority of people are at least nice, average folks. In the right areas, you'll find pockets that remind you of larger cities.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
Quote:

St. Louis is obviously not perfect like you.

Sounds like you live in a poor man's retirement community.

Give St. Louis a fair shot. I think your perceptions will change once the weather warms up. It really is a very active city.

Last edited by moorlander; 02-08-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis