Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:05 AM

56 posts, read 197,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Overall, are the people who live in Saint Louis happy? Do you like living in St. Louis?
I did hard time there so I can say whatever I want - and NO. NO NO NO NO NO.

Not only was I miserable, but I went to work everyday in corporate wonderful america and lived in my pretty little house out in the burbs with my pretty little neighbors in their pretty little mini-vans and their pretty little 2.5 kids and golden retreivers. And were those people happy - LOL. Have you ever seen the episode on SNL called "Debbie Downer"... if you consider Debbie Downer happy, then you'll love STL. Everytime I think about my old life I do the Debbie Downer sound - "WAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh WAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina23 View Post

Not only was I miserable, but I went to work everyday in corporate wonderful america and lived in my pretty little house out in the burbs with my pretty little neighbors in their pretty little mini-vans and their pretty little 2.5 kids and golden retreivers. And were those people happy - LOL. Have you ever seen the episode on SNL called "Debbie Downer"... if you consider Debbie Downer happy, then you'll love STL. Everytime I think about my old life I do the Debbie Downer sound - "WAhhhhhhhhhhhhhh WAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
So let's see, you come on here complaining in pretty much all of your posts, ...lol...about other people's state of happiness. Perhaps you should look in the mirror?

Those people according to your expereince were Debbie Downer...what does that make you for complaining about them?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:54 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina23 View Post

Now you live in the Mecca - DENVER, CO! Loser. You describe a suburban life like it was so horrible. Your attitude sounds like you very well may be a "project chick" so I can see where it might have been disturbing to live with decent people.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:05 PM

33 posts, read 187,174 times
I relocated here 4 years ago and have enjoyed this city tremendously! I love that six flags is so accessible, and next to that there is skiing at hidden valley, if it gets cold enough to make snow in the winter!

Forest park is wonderful and very easy to get to and easy to get around in and offers some of the best entertainment ever! The Zoo is wonderful and FREE. The History Museum is very interesting and worth an afternoon visit and it is FREE. The Art Museum is FREE. The Science center is FREE. The Muny offers shows for FREE.

Outside of the park, but also easily accessible, is the the Botanical garden and it's sister parks which only cost a couple of dollars, the same as The Magic house and Butterfly House. Grants Park is $6 for parking and then FREE. The St. Louis Symphony offers very inexpensive seats and family shows for reasonable prices. And the City Museum is one of a kind and worth a visit! Can't forget Loumeir (Sp?) sculpture park is a great place on a cool day.

We have neighbors who boat and I believe there are some great rivers for that kind of recreation. We have driven less then an hour west and kayaked on three of them almost privately. It was beautiful and peaceful.

I could go on and on about what St. Louis has to offer, we have had a great time here and still have not done everything we want to. I would say we have been very happy in St. Louis! We are relocating again and I am sure that where we are going will not afford us the life style we are used to here with the easy accessibility we have here.

The hardest thing for us has been the summer weather but we just change our activities to suit it and the choices are definitely here.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:21 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
migrating - that was so to hear. Thanks for the positive remarks, and reminder that StL has so much potential to those that want to look and appreciate her.

oh, as to the summer... lol, I recall someone leading a pack of people to the Landing on occasion, placing our chairs in the Mississippi River, dipping our legs in that murky water, coolers filled w/ drinks and vittles, watching boats, people, etc in the hazy lazy afternoons & evenings...

Old 09-01-2007, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 28,695 times
Default What in the world...

The OP asked for our opinion and I gave mine. If you seriously have a problem with that then you may need to take that up with someone else, as I will not now nor ever change the way I view things. We were all asked if we were happy living in St. Louis, and my reply then was no and it still is NO. I respect the opinions shared on here, and I for cannot understand why people cannot just agree to disagree when it comes to my thoughts. If I were indeed racist I would have stated I hate (insert ethnic group of people here), and then I would have talked about them using racial slurs. That is not me, so maybe you Juice shouldn't throw the word racist around like it has no meaning. I gave an account of what I have seen over the years to the OP, and I do believe I will always see the world differently from others. Again, it was my opinion and I will not apologize or kiss anyone's butt to make them feel better for expressing myself.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:02 PM

200 posts, read 632,792 times
Well VenomousDrippings I kinda understand what you're saying a little bit, but not to the extreme to which you're taking it. I'm a young African-American male and grew up in St. Louis my whole life. While St. Louis no doubt is still pretty segregated I've lived all over and been treated fairly wherever I lived. I stayed in North and South County for a while. I work for a company that requires me to drive around ALL of St. Louis so I know this whole area pretty well. Out of all the different places I've been too I've always felt I was treated fairly and equally except maybe a few instances (usually it was by some old bat stuck with its old values). St. Louis just like everything else in life is what you make it, if you think everyone is out to get you because of your color than thats about as far as you're going to get out of life. Anyways I love St. Louis and the people in genereal from the STL and I would recommend this city to anyone.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,811 times
I agree with VenomousDrippings that everyone should be able to state their experiences. Just because you like something doesn't mean everyone else has to or that something is wrong with them for disagreeing or having a different experience. I personally have mixed feelings about St. Louis. It all depends on what you like. If you like sports, the suburban life and very middle of the road people, you will like St. Louis. I like how the people are down to Earth there. But I like bigger cities and I enjoy diversity so like living in Atlanta. And I am white. Every place that is black is not 'ghetto' or bad as a lot of white people on here are implying. Actually, I didn't realize there were so many racist white people in St. Louis til I read this forum, kind of disheartening;p.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 AM

165 posts, read 451,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestateofmind View Post
I agree with VenomousDrippings that everyone should be able to state their experiences. Just because you like something doesn't mean everyone else has to or that something is wrong with them for disagreeing or having a different experience. I personally have mixed feelings about St. Louis. It all depends on what you like. If you like sports, the suburban life and very middle of the road people, you will like St. Louis. I like how the people are down to Earth there. But I like bigger cities and I enjoy diversity so like living in Atlanta. And I am white. Every place that is black is not 'ghetto' or bad as a lot of white people on here are implying. Actually, I didn't realize there were so many racist white people in St. Louis til I read this forum, kind of disheartening;p.
A two year old thread?

Well, I kinda like sports, I like the urban life and I like very exceptional people...and I like St. Louis. If you can't find diversity in St. Louis, you are not trying very hard.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
A good friend of mine, who grew up in Carbondale, vowed to never move to St Louis because he perceived it to be too crowded and dangerous. Then he got a job offer here that he couldn't refuse;
so he moved to Fairview Heights and didn't think it was too bad there.
As he became more familiar with the area (thanks to me in part), he discovered all of the great things about St Louis. And his former perceptions were pretty much erased. Now, he's been a city resident for about five years and says he's been "converted"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis