Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 01:38 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

As you get older your body does not convert it as efficiently.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 04:03 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I'd expect a Dr. to understand that things like Iron and Chromium are elements, not vitamins. Vitamins by definition are organic compounds.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:54 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,104,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why can't you get Vitamin D from food?
It is difficult to get adequate amounts from food or cod liver oil(which I highly recommend for real vitamin A) if you are looking to get close to 50 ng/ml

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/doc...chart-in-ngml/

Notice 3 points at the bottom of the chart, 25 is avg for US and Canada. Tribal Africans are at 47 and outdoor workers are around 49. 40-60 is recommended for disease prevention

There are alternative sources besides sheep wool though
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vitamin+d..._ts-doa-p_3_13

Old 06-11-2022, 09:47 AM

761 posts, read 447,731 times
As an 81 year old vegan I take a small (160mcg) B12 supplement because, otherwise it is only provided by animal protein. That's considered a very small amount but my blood work, for the past 17 years, has always been good for B12.

I also take 1,000 IU of D3 two days in a row, and then I skip a day. That averages out to 666.6 IU per day. My blood level for D3 is about 29 and that's where I'm satisfied. Too much D3 can cause a buildup of calcium in your blood and be toxic.

I don't eat seafood where most iodine in the diet comes from and I don't use iodized salt. So I take one drop of a liquid iodine supplement. That's 150 mcg.

Most zinc comes from animal protein, so I take a small supplement of 5 mg twice a day.

All of the above is based on what I believe my needs are, because my diet consists of about 99.9% natural whole plant foods.

I eat a wide variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, a variety of nuts and 2 teaspoons of olive oil with salads and other vegetables.

I don't believe in the shot-gun approach - taking a multi-vitamin in a futile attempt to make up for eating a poor diet.

There's very little that can make up for eating a poor diet. For example, your body is not fooled into "thinking" a vitamin C tablet is the same as a piece of fresh fruit or broccoli. You can't fool mother nature. :-) That's because most vitamins work in concert with other fresh-food substances.

It's called synergy: The interaction of two or more substances to produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects.

https://www.google.com/search?q=syne...CABDIFCAAQgAQy

Old 11-25-2022, 12:42 AM

6 posts, read 4,815 times
Definitely vitamin D3 isn't a waste of money. Something like 35% of adults in the U.S. have a vitamin D deficiency (and a higher percentage worldwide).

Most "one a day" type multivitamins include too little vitamin D3, so I think a lot of people consider doses above 1000 IU high. It's not. Several thousand IU a day is fine, and for a severe deficiency a knowledgeable health care provider might recommend 50,000 IU of vitamin D once a week for up to 8 weeks (a sort of "loading dose"). This PubMed article provides more on that: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30611908/

Old 12-09-2022, 01:18 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,900,201 times
The author doesn't know the difference between a vitamin and an amino acid.

Quote:
Cox says L-arginine isn't the vitamin to turn to.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:58 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Other than vitamin D3 & liposomal vitamin C, I don't take any of the others, so good! I haven't been wasting my money all these years! I've taken vitamins pretty much my whole life.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:47 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
That list is accurate. The only supplements that really need to be taken on their own are magnesium (everyone) Vitamin B12 (if you are on PPIs or a vegan diet) and perhaps D3 (during the winter)

A basic cheapo "great value" multivitamin without iron for men, with iron for women, is plenty... and a separate magnesium supplement... magnesium citrate. I read the posts on the previous page about synthetic vitamins. I haven't done significant DD on the effects.

I also consume glycine, for collagen production. It tastes almost like sugar, so it's easy to mix into anything.

Also, I use tretinoin on my face, probably for life.

Once I use up the rest of my other "fancier" supplements I'm not going to replace them. I'll simply continue my high antioxidant diet (coffee, cocoa, ceylon cinnamon, berries, etc.)

I also have Vitamin K2 MK-4. It remains to be seen if Vitamin K2 is actually needed or not. Suppose to clear out calcium from the arteries. Frankly both my grandparents lived well into their 80's without any of these supplements, but I'd rather hedge my bets with a couple.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:57 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
I remember an old TV infomercial where he said his friend is in the portapotty business and would find all the unmelted vitamins in the bottom of the waste tanks.
Stomach acid is far more powerful than anything you will find in a septic tank. The only thing it can't break down is stomach lining.

I have heard those old wives tales that you can't digest vitamin tablets or you have to take liquid vitamins to get the maximum benefit. As if you have to take liquid aspirin or Tylenol or Advil to get any benefit.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:24 PM

690 posts, read 640,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

...But I think if you are tested for your vitamin and mineral levels it's smart to go ahead and supplement...
I agree with this. I prefer not adding things unless I have an initial baseline. My doctor will order any tests I want. Whether insurance pays for them or not is another matter, but I think it's worth the investment. I will ask him to order D3 for me. Any other suggestions of things to test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements