Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

I wonder how this will go this weekend? Eddie Money, Starship, Lou Gramm headline 34th annual Jamesville Balloonfest | syracuse.com

Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Life is a gamble and flood insurance is one of the biggest.

Contents flood insurance is extremly expensive and well over what I owned.

So I rolled the dice and declined contents. So I have nothing. Big picture I broke even. If I had insurance I wouldn't have an stuff. Now without insurance I still have no stuff.

Prolly the part that hurts most is that hot tub. I bought in time with zero interest. And now its gone ( literally gone it floated away)

Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

So I rolled the dice and declined contents. So I have nothing. Big picture I broke even. If I had insurance I wouldn't have an stuff. Now without insurance I still have no stuff.

Prolly the part that hurts most is that hot tub. I bought in time with zero interest. And now its gone ( literally gone it floated away)
You have your life and that is the most important thing.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM

I played fast and loose with that today making sure daughter and dawgs were safe.

I'm not gonna give a lot of details but lets say I found a canoe and went into the flooded area?? Cops all over on jet skis but lets say I was an old outlaw that spent a lot of time canoeing in Forestport?? I'd be able to tell you its so much worse then the news shows. I'd also be able to say I think Herkimer is much worse.

Still waiting for Obama to roll the FEMA trailers in.

I heard there are pictures of my hottub floating down the street.

All the trees I planted in 11 years all gone. The fence I built. My bed. My computer!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:

Sad to hear you were involved in the flooding that happened today. Hang in there! You are safe and healthy.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Sean -

The Red Cross has opened shelters in case your family or anyone you know needs a warm, dry place to stay tonight.

Red Cross opens shelter in Madison County as severe flooding pushes people from homes | syracuse.com

City of Oneida - YMCA on Seneca Street

Jorgensen Center at Mohawk Valley Community College

If you need a ride, they are offering bus transportation. Just call this number and they will help you out - 315-866-0974.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 AM

Water is down to the first floor this morning. Cops only let me look for a minute from a distance. My house was on higher ground so I'm better then most but when we have all lost everything I'm not sure how big a victory that is.

Alnight long it just keeps going through my head how I have had this feeling of impending doom about staying in NY. Next person that gives me any boo hoo crap about other states having natural disasters is gonna be laying on the ground quick like.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
Water is down to the first floor this morning. Cops only let me look for a minute from a distance. My house was on higher ground so I'm better then most but when we have all lost everything I'm not sure how big a victory that is.

Alnight long it just keeps going through my head how I have had this feeling of impending doom about staying in NY. Next person that gives me any boo hoo crap about other states having natural disasters is gonna be laying on the ground quick like.
I'm glad that you and your family are safe BUT, Sean...

You live in a flood zone, next to a creek, in a low-lying area. People in your area have been saying how you get a lot of flooding anyway but this was just a LOT. And of course it floods a lot... that strip between Syracuse and Albany gets the watershed of several very hilly/mountainous regions. This year has trended for storms and flooding. When we started getting tornado watches last year, I called our insurance company and upped our coverage, to make sure that we'd be covered if the roof ripped off or the huge trees surrounding us fell onto our home... I didn't do that for flooding because we're high above flooding risk. In the winter, when getting into an accident is more likely, I pay more in insurance fees to have an extremely low deductible. If you're in a flood-prone area, you cover the things you'd be devastated to lose. That's what flood insurance is for. The things you insure are protected from loss. You didn't insure your possessions and now they're gone.

It's awful!

But it's not NY State's fault. Your personal, impending-doom-in-NY cloud is a self-fulfilling prophecy. With good insurance coverage, you'd have had enough to move to Montana or at least re-build in a better (higher) area. The people who insured the very-likely risk of flooding are doing a happy dance... better house! New stuff! Exciting! But again with the self-creating doom, you recently re-staked yourself to NY by marriage. If you wanted to leave, then you should have DONE it. You have been the only one stopping you.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 AM

Actually my wife gas been the stoppage.

Contents insurance was 1500 a year. I have been there 11 years. That's 16.5. Plus 2k.

I lost about 20k in covered stuff.

So a check for 1500 bucks makes you do a happy dance?? To me that a weeks pay with OT.

Keep in mind at no times does flood insurance pay for hotels and such.

1500 bucks for a happy dance?? He'll if I found that much in an envolope I'd turn it in.

Now factor in that if I would have payed the insurance I wouldn't have had the stuff to insure.

Any way you slice it NY sucks ass.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:

Any way you slice it NY sucks ass.
Then leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area