Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
They are saying this weekend is the perfect time to see the fall foliage in the Adirondacks. I have only been up that way if I had a specific destination in mind. I want to go up this weekend, but I don't really know where to go other than to just head that way and drive around? Are there some spots that are best?
Perhaps Old Forge and you could check out the Old Forge Hardware store, which is essentially a big general store.

Blue Mountain Lake further into the mountains down Route 28 may work too. I haven't been, but the Adirondack Museum is there.

You have this too: Adirondack Scenic Railroad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
They are saying this weekend is the perfect time to see the fall foliage in the Adirondacks. I have only been up that way if I had a specific destination in mind. I want to go up this weekend, but I don't really know where to go other than to just head that way and drive around? Are there some spots that are best?
I gotta agree with the others - Old Forge or Lake Placid were the first ones that came to mind. My family has a house in Forestport, about 30min south of OF so I am up there often. You can pop in the shops at OF like ckh suggested - Hardware Store is a definite stop. The Naked Moose is one of my other personal favorite shops. Lots of good restaurants up there too. I was just up there a few weeks ago and we ended up heading to Big Moose Lake and had dinner at Big Moose Lake Inn - it's right on the water and the food was amazing (I had raspberry chicken crepes)

Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Fun useless fact…

If you look up sunset time and pick a clear day and nice vista, say looking over Oneida Lake, the last pinpoint of Sun will disappear during the exact minute they say it will.

I wasn't aware they had it down that exact.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
We did a pretty big loop yesterday by heading to Old Forge by going through Utica, going up to Saranac Lake, and then coming back through Watertown.
Stopped by the ADK Senic Railroad stations, but missed the train we wanted. Adirondack Scenic Railroad - Home
Old Forge was cute and there were a lot of people out yesterday. you should at least step foot into the movie theater.
Stopped by Sagamore Camp. Great Camp Sagamore National Historic Landmark
Walked up to Buttermilk Falls. Buttermilk Falls
Drove to Saranac Lake. the road to Saranac was beautiful, but the town itself was sad and depressing. The town has seen better days and there are many storefronts available.
I think the biggest surprise for me was how big Tupper Lake is. I had heard of the town before, but it was described as a tiny little town in the Adirondacks. It was much bigger than I thought it would be. If I did the trip again, I would have skipped Saranac Lake and spent more time in Tupper Lake.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
We did a pretty big loop yesterday by heading to Old Forge by going through Utica, going up to Saranac Lake, and then coming back through Watertown.
Stopped by the ADK Senic Railroad stations, but missed the train we wanted. Adirondack Scenic Railroad - Home
Old Forge was cute and there were a lot of people out yesterday. you should at least step foot into the movie theater.
Drove to Saranac Lake. the road to Saranac was beautiful, but the town itself was sad and depressing. The town has seen better days and there are many storefronts available.
I think the biggest surprise for me was how big Tupper Lake is. I had heard of the town before, but it was described as a tiny little town in the Adirondacks. It was much bigger than I thought it would be. If I did the trip again, I would have skipped Saranac Lake and spent more time in Tupper Lake.
Glad you had fun! I was going to suggest the movie theater, but figured you'd want to do more outside things. It's basically a museum in there. And how bad is it that I can never remember the owner's name, but always remember his dog's? (It's Noah, in case you're wondering. His dog before Noah was Argus )

Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Noah was there to greet us.

I have been looking up things in Saranac Lake this morning because the vibe and experience was so bad that it stuck with us. We tried to eat at 3 different places and we walked out of three of them. Two of them were so scary and we knew something wasn't right that we walked out of them because we were afraid to eat there. I have never walked out of a restaurant in my life, so to have back to back experiences was just off. It feels like the whole town has just given up. Check out these reviews at the Saranac Hotel. I have never seen reviews like this. We didn't stay at the hotel, but the vibe we felt is strong at this hotel. Old, dirty, run down, and just there to collect money without offering much in return. This is a run down shack to say the least! - Review of Hotel Saranac, Saranac Lake, NY - TripAdvisor

Old 09-29-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Nice and I've actually heard similar things about Saranac Lake, even though some people go there for vacation.

Man, if I had known that you were going through Watertown, I would have suggested Thompson Park. It is an Olmsted park and there actually is a small zoo there. Watertown, NY - Official Website - Historic Thompson Park

Sackets Harbor is down Route 3 past the mall and shopping west of I-81. You could of checked out Cape Vincent, Clayton and Alexandria Bay too.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:07 PM

This side of the ADK's is pretty run down. It makes me very sad to see how bad it's gotten up there as I spent a lot of time in the Forestport/Old Forge area during the 70's into the early 80's.

The other side on the other hand is great and maybe better then ever. Its prettier by far for one thing. The mountians are more mountiany. The towns are much nicer. Places to eat are like shooting fish in a barrel. Hotels are plentiful and appear clean on the outside and the ones I have stayed at the inside also. They are expensive though, make sure what you think your paying includes the room taxes.

Plus that side has Stewarts all over which I like.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:51 PM

I thought ToeJam said that Old Forge and Tupper Lake were still fine, but Saranac Lake has seen better days. I actually haven't been on the eastern portion of the Adirondacks, but I've heard good things about Ticonderoga, Elizabethtown and the AuSable Valley area.

I wonder what the foliage was like near Watertown.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 PM

She never saw them when they were nice. Nobody is ever gonna confuse the ADK with the Rookies but having seen both I'll submit the Eastern part can pass as mountians until real ones come along. The area leading from the Northway to Lake Placid through Keene is the real deal. This side is more rolling hills then mountians.

Another area I spent a lot of time in that has fallen apart is the area around Black Lake.

Eastern NY seems to be able to use money from the city to get by. All the places to far from the city are dead/dying. I realize you younger people never are just doing the best with what's left but it makes me super sad. It's even more shocking for visitors like my dad. Those of who live here have gotten so we are used to empty storefronts and boarded up houses. When my dad visits an area he hasn't seen in years it's really heartbreaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area