Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Those are all much to expensive or old except the one in Sherril which I been trying to get my mother to buy but I think she's buying one in Herkimer.
Umm, the house in Rome is actually 2 years younger than the Sherrill home and I don't know if homes under are expensive, but may be out of the range you are looking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:13 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Yeah I'm sorry if I implies the houses themselves were to high. To high for me I meant.

Let's say I can get up to the 75k. It will be a zero down weasel loan so I'll need closing costs which will be about 7k so the house is gonna need to be around 67.

Which means a used trailer in a private setting, ideal, or a new trailer in a park, less then ideal.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:18 PM

368 posts, read 831,257 times
I'm trying to figure how this would be a better situation than what you are in now. Do you have to own, can you be a renter for awhile until you have more funds for a more ideal house-location.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:43 PM

The flooding would be the major issue.

Renting is something I can't see ever doing again. For one thing I like dogs. I am currently down to just one dawg but that won't last. Plus all my crap would be in expensive storage. And rent is very high around here so saving would be impossible.

First step is getting it painted the realtor said. Then it's just a matter of how big a loss I take. This house is all brand new with fresh paint. But I owe 50 grand. She's talking high 30's maybe 40. So I gotta cough up at least 10 grand cash. And after rebuilding we ain't exactly awash in cash.

What I wanna do is finishing paying the house off. That's worst case 8 years. Take the first cash offer and buy a trailer in the country. Then retire and move to Florida. But if it floods during that time I am screwed beyound screwed. But my wife is certain the weather is changing and we have to get out now.

I'm actually sick of dealing with this. Everyday looking at houses. That we can't afford. The realtor sites say only so much a month. See honey we can afford this. Sure we can baby if I work seven days a week til I'm 80. I'm not taking a 30 year note out. Anything we can't pay off in 10 years is dead to me. Goddamm flood.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 PM

368 posts, read 831,257 times
Sounds like the flood is dictating all of your decisions. Sorry this is happening to you.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM

Well the crime was driving us out before. But we had a nice sane stable plan in place. It wasn't perfect but like eating an elephant we were taking small bites and we were gonna be outta here in 3 years(18 months ago). It was a decent plan that the lady at our bank helped us come up with.

Now she's all in a panic about the water and of coarse the crime is getting worse, also flood related. So she's willing to do something half cocked. I think if we stay with the plan, understanding our situation has worsened, things can still work out.

But promise the water won't come back?? I can't do that.

Christ she's got a house picked out in Oswego. It's very nice and well within budget and it's got a fantastic shop building. But it's an hour and 20 minutes away.

Another consideration is it's getting very hard for me to drive at night. An hour commute puts me night driving morning and night for half the year. And it's unlikely to improve. May well get worse. Plus as I pointed out that's 225 dollars a week in gas extra. That's an extra grand a month in just gas.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Sounds like the flood is dictating all of your decisions. Sorry this is happening to you.
You can call it that.....

Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Well the crime was driving us out before. But we had a nice sane stable plan in place. It wasn't perfect but like eating an elephant we were taking small bites and we were gonna be outta here in 3 years(18 months ago). It was a decent plan that the lady at our bank helped us come up with.

Now she's all in a panic about the water and of coarse the crime is getting worse, also flood related. So she's willing to do something half cocked. I think if we stay with the plan, understanding our situation has worsened, things can still work out.

But promise the water won't come back?? I can't do that.

Christ she's got a house picked out in Oswego. It's very nice and well within budget and it's got a fantastic shop building. But it's an hour and 20 minutes away.

Another consideration is it's getting very hard for me to drive at night. An hour commute puts me night driving morning and night for half the year. And it's unlikely to improve. May well get worse. Plus as I pointed out that's 225 dollars a week in gas extra. That's an extra grand a month in just gas.
Sean, based on what you said here in the past, I think you might want to rethink Oswego. Doesn't that area get like 180" of snow a year? I think the nice summer weather is making you forget winter

Old 07-14-2014, 03:26 AM

Not me my wife found that one. Not actually Oswego but maybe New Haven??? My wife is from Morth of Camden and thinks of snow differently then anybody on earth except people from that area.

I'm house hunted out. We have checklists from both a realtor amd the bank. Some take time so as they say in AA time takes time. The stuff I can do I have been doing. It's just gonna take awhile. Time is actually on our side. Almost every place we have looked at has had multipul price reductions. We both have stable jobs and prices are going down so we win.

I also think flood danger is over until next March when it's not that bad and next June which is the real danger time. Sooner or later it has to stop raining and she will relax and so will eye.

I do appreciate CK ferreting out all these houses and I have passed them all along. In fact my mom may buy the sherril one.

But I'm gonna try to make it another year. Like they say god willing and the creek don't rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area