Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 07:19 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I put exactly what I want within 25 miles.

No results found.

I've got a stack of houses that are perfect for us out of state we can afford. My wife is in charge of the NY hunt. She hasn't been able to find one yet. I keep saying if you can't even find one in NY and I'm finding dozens out of state maybe NY isn't affordable for us. But the hunt continues
What happened to the Camden house that you said that fit what you were looking for? It may not be affordability, but more of an issue with the homes available in relation to what you are looking for.

What about something like this: CNYHomes - 717 Oneida St Sullivan 13037

Or this: CNYHomes - 8 Beechnut Ter Whitestown 13492

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-24-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Camden house is very much on the hot list. With closing costs it's over budget. I don't know how much give the price has yet. If you look at what he paid just a couple years ago and all the updating he did even at full price he's taking a awful beating.

I would like to stay under that ammount if possible. I been thinking about that payment. It's a scary amount. Not saying I wont do it but it's well outside the comfort zone.

Most affordable houses in NY are packed in ghetto areas like Oneida and Rome. Not to say all those cities are ghetto but once your in a decent area you have to add a zero to the check.

For example in Oneida there is one house under 100 that's not in the ghetto and it has neither a garage or a basement. If you check you will see two but the other one has sold. It was actually a sweet little house. The sold one was a complete package at a price that was doable even with some jaw dropping taxes.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Camden house is very much on the hot list. With closing costs it's over budget. I don't know how much give the price has yet. If you look at what he paid just a couple years ago and all the updating he did even at full price he's taking a awful beating.

I would like to stay under that ammount if possible. I been thinking about that payment. It's a scary amount. Not saying I wont do it but it's well outside the comfort zone.

Most affordable houses in NY are packed in ghetto areas like Oneida and Rome. Not to say all those cities are ghetto but once your in a decent area you have to add a zero to the check.

For example in Oneida there is one house under 100 that's not in the ghetto and it has neither a garage or a basement. If you check you will see two but the other one has sold. It was actually a sweet little house. The sold one was a complete package at a price that was doable even with some jaw dropping taxes.
Again, it may depend on what a person needs. Nice areas of cities around here aren't necessarily really high, as you may find something in the 90-110,000 range. I don't know if anyone can view this, but here are some homes in both of those SD's between 75-110,000: CNYHomes - Homes for Sale in Syracuse and Central New York - Your Search Results

Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
Quote:
That new Runnings store in Rome is a must see for all straight males. Don't know a lot about it but near as I can tell its a small chain with at least Rochester and Rome. It's one stop shopping for men.
I have drove by it a few times on the way to my parents, have not stopped yet.

Quote:

Where do you and your wife work? Which cities - I mean.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:47 PM

We both work in Oneida. Different hours but we may be able to get hers changed so we aren't waiting for the each other long.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Opening day for Syracuse-area Costco: What you need to know | syracuse.com

Old 10-24-2014, 02:31 PM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
Quote:
We both work in Oneida. Different hours but we may be able to get hers changed so we aren't waiting for the each other long.
Do you both plan on continuing to work in Oneida, or stay in this area?

I would try to get within a commutable distance of Syracuse. Utica is dead. Seems like the closest place to get a job to Oneida would be Syracuse.

Camden is a bit of a drive (go there for off roading events some times), but doable!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:45 PM

We rarely go to Utica and never Syracuse so no interest in closer to either.

Camden is a half hour drive to the village and about 40 minutes to that house. The first half is annoying driving through Oneida and the beach but the second half is easy highway driving. We go there fairly often anyway so everyday isn't a major change. My wife's car is good on gas but not that comfortable. My truck is like a cloud but the v8 likes to be fed. So we would take the car except when it snows which in Camden is often.

In between would be ideal but the beach area is a meth ridden cesspool and Vienna doesn't have a lot of houses.

And we don't have a clue when FEMA will come through.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
We rarely go to Utica and never Syracuse so no interest in closer to either.

Camden is a half hour drive to the village and about 40 minutes to that house. The first half is annoying driving through Oneida and the beach but the second half is easy highway driving. We go there fairly often anyway so everyday isn't a major change. My wife's car is good on gas but not that comfortable. My truck is like a cloud but the v8 likes to be fed. So we would take the car except when it snows which in Camden is often.

In between would be ideal but the beach area is a meth ridden cesspool and Vienna doesn't have a lot of houses.

And we don't have a clue when FEMA will come through.
OK......What about the other direction like Madison, Hamilton, etc?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:25 PM

We've talked of that. The answer is no. To move to an area with a long commute where we have no family or friends is a bad idea. So either near Oneida for the short drive or to Camden to be near family and friends.

We don't wanna drive a lot for no gain in other words. We don't know a soul to the west so that's out. East and north is best followed by near by south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area