Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 03:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times

Advertisements

8 million huh?? Well maybe if I took a 30 year and used undocumented servants.

Since I'm willing to accept a trailer I shouldn't have to go into the millions.

One thing I looked at was the Thruway. I can drive that at night. The problem is with so few exits it's tough to find a place. Everyone else has the same idea. This is actually a problem more then a benifit. A lot of the rural areas that would be good for me put me against people commuting into the cities.

It is nice having time to test things out before making a bad choice. Drive to camden on a nice summer day with the windows down and the music cranked it don't seem to bad. But do it now when it's dark both ways and it's not just no but hellno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 04:49 AM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
8 million huh?? Well maybe if I took a 30 year and used undocumented servants.

Since I'm willing to accept a trailer I shouldn't have to go into the millions.

One thing I looked at was the Thruway. I can drive that at night. The problem is with so few exits it's tough to find a place. Everyone else has the same idea. This is actually a problem more then a benifit. A lot of the rural areas that would be good for me put me against people commuting into the cities.

It is nice having time to test things out before making a bad choice. Drive to camden on a nice summer day with the windows down and the music cranked it don't seem to bad. But do it now when it's dark both ways and it's not just no but hellno
The list must have included all of the homes.

Route 5 may be an option in terms of looking at homes. Here are some thar may work: CNYHomes - 4385 Canal Rd Lenox 13032

CNYHomes - 3373 Frederick Rd Madison 13402

CNYHomes - 8 Beechnut Ter Whitestown 13492

CNYHomes - 105 Elm St Lenox 13032

CNYHomes - 610 Charles St. Sullivan 13037

CNYHomes - 4377 Canal Rd Lenox 13032

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-26-2014 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 AM

Hmm......'Major concert' coming to Syracuse's Carrier Dome in 2015, but who will it be? | syracuse.com

Old 11-26-2014, 03:03 PM

I've been to see some of those houses.

We are working on a standard house comparison method as applies to us. The taxes in NY can really shift things around.

On that list take the madison house at 85k and the Lennox at 75k.

Which costs more??

Well first lets figger what impact taxes have during the mortgage period. The tax differance between those houses is about 1200 a year so a hundred a month. A 100 a month is about 12k based on a 15 year note at 5% (95$ actually).

So for the same monthly cost as the 75k house you could actualy borrow 87k making the Madison house actually cheaper. Diuringthe mortgage period. After the note is paid you can spend the 1200 on hookers and blow and still be ahead.

Plus a mortgage is a fixed cost you can plan a budget around and taxes will most likely double or triple.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I've been to see some of those houses.

We are working on a standard house comparison method as applies to us. The taxes in NY can really shift things around.

On that list take the madison house at 85k and the Lennox at 75k.

Which costs more??

Well first lets figger what impact taxes have during the mortgage period. The tax differance between those houses is about 1200 a year so a hundred a month. A 100 a month is about 12k based on a 15 year note at 5% (95$ actually).

So for the same monthly cost as the 75k house you could actualy borrow 87k making the Madison house actually cheaper. Diuringthe mortgage period. After the note is paid you can spend the 1200 on hookers and blow and still be ahead.

Plus a mortgage is a fixed cost you can plan a budget around and taxes will most likely double or triple.
That's an interesting way of putting it.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:24 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
I'm in Syracuse this long weekend to hang out with family, and trying to decide if I should make a trip up to Tahawus for some ghost-town hunting. I have 4wd. How bad is it up there right now? I'm certain I'd have the entire place to myself this time of year, which I why I want to go.

If not, how is the snowmobiling right now?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm in Syracuse this long weekend to hang out with family, and trying to decide if I should make a trip up to Tahawus for some ghost-town hunting. I have 4wd. How bad is it up there right now? I'm certain I'd have the entire place to myself this time of year, which I why I want to go.

If not, how is the snowmobiling right now?
We got snow today, but there was higher accumulation totals to the south. I'm not sure about the Adirondacks, but they may have more due to being closer to the Nor'easter.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's an interesting way of putting it.
Our comparisons also factor in other things. Using the same two houses gas becomes a factor. One is 19 miles the other 5. Gas is currently going down but that won't always be the case. For these distances I'm just using gas a tires and such shouldn't be a big factor.

Then comes heat. This is a big one. NG is always gonna win.

The hardest part is the stuff you can't put a dollar value on. The drive home prolly takes the same time. But one is a nightmereish drive down rt 5 at 15 mph following a line of cars most of whom seem to slam on there brakes for no reason at random. The other is a peaceful county drive down 46/20 at about 60. And the simple fact that anyway you slice it Stota is a nasty little dump and Madison is a nice little town.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Our comparisons also factor in other things. Using the same two houses gas becomes a factor. One is 19 miles the other 5. Gas is currently going down but that won't always be the case. For these distances I'm just using gas a tires and such shouldn't be a big factor.

Then comes heat. This is a big one. NG is always gonna win.

The hardest part is the stuff you can't put a dollar value on. The drive home prolly takes the same time. But one is a nightmereish drive down rt 5 at 15 mph following a line of cars most of whom seem to slam on there brakes for no reason at random. The other is a peaceful county drive down 46/20 at about 60. And the simple fact that anyway you slice it Stota is a nasty little dump and Madison is a nice little town.
I don't know about that with Canastota, but I believe that the Madison house is within this rural energy co-op: oneida-madison.coop

Old 11-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Those local power companies are odd ducks. Sherril has one and it's no great deal. Booneville has one and they use electric heat and if it gets to warm they open a window. House right now for sale in Booneville with an unground pool with an electric heater. That's right an electric pool heater in NY. It staggers the mind. Knowing what my hot tub costs on National Grid I doubt Donald Trump could afford to heat a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area