Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

For those that may be interested in how the community can find ways to have local government provide services in a more efficient and proper manner, these meetings may be of interest to you: Shaping the Future of Syracuse and Onondaga County | Urban CNY

Here's the website for ConsensusCNY: https://www.cgr.org/consensuscny/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Boom Boom Mex Mex is closing
Report: Boom Boom Mex Mex restaurant in Camillus will not reopen this year | syracuse.com

I never understood why that place was so popular. My friends and I went there once and it definitely wasn't worth the 20-30min drive. It's sort of out in the middle of nowhere too, so it's not like you're just in the neighborhood and it's easy to stop by.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Boom Boom Mex Mex is closing
Report: Boom Boom Mex Mex restaurant in Camillus will not reopen this year | syracuse.com

I never understood why that place was so popular. My friends and I went there once and it definitely wasn't worth the 20-30min drive. It's sort of out in the middle of nowhere too, so it's not like you're just in the neighborhood and it's easy to stop by.
I never went, but it appears that the place has quite a few positive comments. Do you think a place like Alto Cinco or even Ponchitos was better? It was out of the way and I wonder if its location had something to do with it closing. I guess Mesa Grande will have to be the choice for Tex-Mex for people on that side of town, once it opens in Township 5.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I never went, but it appears that the place has quite a few positive comments. Do you think a place like Alto Cinco or even Ponchitos was better? It was out of the way and I wonder if its location had something to do with it closing. I guess Mesa Grande will have to be the choice for Tex-Mex for people on that side of town, once it opens in Township 5.
Never went to Ponchitos, but yes Alto Cinco was definitely way better. Since Boom Boom was cafeteria style, I'd imagine they were just pumping out high volumes of ok food. I remember I had a taco salad and the edible taco bowl tasted so stale and just blah. I mean, I guess for what it was it was ok - cheap mediocre food.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Never went to Ponchitos, but yes Alto Cinco was definitely way better. Since Boom Boom was cafeteria style, I'd imagine they were just pumping out high volumes of ok food. I remember I had a taco salad and the edible taco bowl tasted so stale and just blah. I mean, I guess for what it was it was ok - cheap mediocre food.
Interesting and I also think that it is/was a matter of being one of a few in terms of Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants in the area. It kind of reminds me of Juanita's when it was open. I never understood what people were raving about.

There was also a more authentic restaurant by the name of Jalapeno's that was really good, but never got a lot of buzz.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting and I also think that it is/was a matter of being one of a few in terms of Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants in the area. It kind of reminds me of Juanita's when it was open. I never understood what people were raving about.

There was also a more authentic restaurant by the name of Jalapeno's that was really good, but never got a lot of buzz.
There really aren't a lot of Mexican places in the Syracuse area. I know that's something that TJ has commented on before. I have been to The Mission once as well and it also wasn't anything to write home about. Now I'm spoiled in Philly with a million restaurants in every cuisine you could think of There's a really good Mexican place 2 blocks from my house, I normally take anyone visiting me there and it's always been a hit.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
There really aren't a lot of Mexican places in the Syracuse area. I know that's something that TJ has commented on before. I have been to The Mission once as well and it also wasn't anything to write home about. Now I'm spoiled in Philly with a million restaurants in every cuisine you could think of There's a really good Mexican place 2 blocks from my house, I normally take anyone visiting me there and it's always been a hit.
While there are a couple of solid choices in the area, if someone came along and brought good, authentic Mexican food to the area, it could/should do well around here.

Philly being the size that it is as the 6th biggest city in the US, allows it to have a lot of food options. Eventhough there isn't a relatively high Mexican percentage, there is a big enough population as to where they can have their share of good Mexican restaurants.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:28 AM

I can imagine what the traffic will be like later in the afternoon/in the early evening on University Hill once the games start: Available Articles | East Regional is big business for Syracuse

Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 AM

Unfortunate news for Cortland: Jets Not Returning to SUNY Cortland for Training Camp Come Summer

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 AM

After finding out about this news and the fact that it is a participating school involved in the Say Yes to Education program, I wonder if some kids that graduate from a SCSD high school will consider looking into going there for college.

Stanford just made tuition free for families earning less than $125,000 per year

Partner Colleges | Say Yes to Education - Syracuse

Admission will be tough and competitive, but it is just a thought. This would also go for Buffalo, which also has the Say Yes program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area