Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, he is saying the opposite of what you are saying, as people can afford to stay in their homes up here versus swaths of newer homes in FL just sitting there
great post, thanks! It will take years for the market to absorb the thousands of homes, townhouses, condos, etc. that are underwater, foreclosed or sitting empty. Condos are the most vulnerable and stay on the market the longest. Buyers tend to gravitate toward single-family homes during economic rebounds to avoid maintenance fees, condo commandos, etc.

February 2012 Foreclosure Rate Heat Map (see attached link)
FLORIDA: 26,337 foreclosured properties (1 in every 341 properties)
NEW YORK: 1,716 foreclosed properties (1 in every 4604 properties) *

U.S. Foreclosure Trends and Foreclosure Market Statistics | RealtyTrac

* New York is well below the national average of 1 in every 637 foreclosed properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Outside of thefts, it doesn't look too bad: //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html
More here: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/ucrdata/Search/Crime/Local/RunCrimeJurisbyJuris.cfm (broken link)

Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM

I found this great photo of the downtown Syracuse skyline (courtesy of Centerstate CEO) and thought it was very impressive. I am guessing it was taken from the roof of the Golisano Children's Hospital prior to the completion of construction.

I would like to see a convention center hotel fill the "void" next to the AXA towers and Civic Center.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
It must be frustrating knowing NOTHING!
You have mail.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Missed Cafe Kubal by >< much. I swear I'm never gonna hit that new one, either I just bough coffee elsewhere or like today I'm focused and they are closed. By 20 minutes, rats!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Syracuse's Ephesus unveils chips that could change lights forever | syracuse.com

A Syracuse company has developed technology its president expects to completely change the light bulb business. Ephesus Technologies President Joe Casper wants to build wafers in Central New York, which will require a microchip fabrication plant. The company has 16 employees, Joe Casper said, and is recruiting. By the end of next year, he hopes to have 150 employees, most of them engineers and scientists. If the company does build a chip fabricating plant, the result could be more than 1,000 jobs in the area. “I think it can be done here,” Joe Casper said. “Amy and I have a dream.” Casper was raised in Baldwinsville.

I hope this is not a lost opportunity, "Last year, local economic development officials asked the state to give Ephesus a $500,000 grant to build manufacturing and testing facilities, as well as nearly $9 million in tax breaks. The state did not include the recommendation in its $103.7 million award to the region".

Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Syracuse's Ephesus unveils chips that could change lights forever | syracuse.com

A Syracuse company has developed technology its president expects to completely change the light bulb business. Ephesus Technologies President Joe Casper wants to build wafers in Central New York, which will require a microchip fabrication plant. The company has 16 employees, Joe Casper said, and is recruiting. By the end of next year, he hopes to have 150 employees, most of them engineers and scientists. If the company does build a chip fabricating plant, the result could be more than 1,000 jobs in the area. “I think it can be done here,” Joe Casper said. “Amy and I have a dream.” Casper was raised in Baldwinsville.

Here is the part that disturbs me, "Last year, local economic development officials asked the state to give Ephesus a $500,000 grant to build manufacturing and testing facilities, as well as nearly $9 million in tax breaks. The state did not include the recommendation in its $103.7 million award to the region.
I agree, UrbanPlanner. The state apparently felt it was a better investment to dump $35+ million for low income housing in CNY (more than any other region) than spend $500,000 to actually create good quality jobs for professionals. Not suprisingly the chairs of the CNY Regional Economic Development Council Nancy Cantor and Rob Simpson president of CenterState CEO are silent on this issue. It's obvious providing new housing for an unemployable and illiterate refugee takes significant priority over creating good paying jobs for educated people, including recent grads and those that would like to establish roots or be able to stay in this community. End rant... I'm not against providing affordable housing, but there needs to be a balance. How is someone supposed to improve their socio-economic status if the community does not have quality jobs.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 04-03-2012 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I agree, UrbanPlanner. The state apparently felt it was a better investment to dump $35+ million for low income housing in CNY (more than any other region) than spend $500,000 to actually create good quality jobs for professionals. Not suprisingly the chairs of the CNY Regional Economic Development Council Nancy Cantor and Rob Simpson president of CenterState CEO are silent on this issue. It's obvious providing new housing for an unemployable and illiterate refugee takes significant priority over creating good paying jobs for educated people, including recent grads and those that would like to establish roots or be able to stay in this community. End rant... I'm not against providing affordable housing, but there needs to be a balance. How is someone supposed to improve their socio-economic status if the community does not have quality jobs.
I agree RR, but maybe I read too much into it. Maybe they are going to get the incentives and grant separately, but wouldn't the regional economic plans be a perfect opportunity? All rhetorical questions by the way, I am trying to figure it out.

You raise a good point, why wouldn't Simpson and Cantor (I think they are doing a fine job, esp. after someone like Irwin Davis..remember him?) make this a priority? I hope some bureaucrat is not saying that fabrication plants are only going to Albany or some other part of the state. Despite the fact that this guy wants this cutting edge tech. in his home region of CNY.

I would hate to see an opportunity for 1,000 TRULY hi-tech cutting edge jobs be lost because of some 5-year plan layed out by someone in Albany. An investment like that would be huge and manifest changes taking place in CNY.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-03-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
I agree RR, but maybe I read too much into it. Maybe they are going to get the incentives and grant separately, but wouldn't the regional economic plans be a perfect opportunity? All rhetorical questions by the way, I am trying to figure it out.

You raise a good point, why wouldn't Simpson and Cantor (I think they are doing a fine job, esp. after someone like Irwin Davis..remember him?) make this a priority? I hope some bureaucrat is not saying that fabrication plants are only going to Albany or some other part of the state. Despite the fact that this guy wants this cutting edge tech. in his home region of CNY.

I would hate to see an opportunity for 1,000 TRULY hi-tech cutting edge jobs be lost because of some 5-year plan layed out by someone in Albany. An investment like that would be huge and manifest changes taking place in CNY.

The fact that the president of Empire State Development (ESD) has yet to set foot in Syracuse despite being in his position for more than a year is pretty concerning. His comment that nanotechnology is poorly suited for Syracuse is certainly enough to raise some red flags, especially considering this Baldwinsville nanotech company was the only project approved by the regional council that did not receive funding from the state.
New state economic development commissioner says Syracuse is no place for nanotechnology | syracuse.com

It's also somewhat suspicious that we haven't heard a peep out of Chuck Schumer, CenterState CEO or any politician in more than two months since Chuckie came to town announcing that a California chip maker was interested in setting up a nanochip plant in Salina. I wonder if ESD and Cuomo are now trying to steer this plant to Marcy or Canadaigua, two areas that the state has made considerable investment to try and cultivate this industry.
Schumer continues push for Syracuse-area computer chipmaker | Innovation Trail

If you look at the ESD website and press releases announcing new job creation, Syracuse has landed one or two grants from the state since Cuomo took office while at least 75 to 100 grants/loans have been given to Rochester and Buffalo companies. Other projects that received funding from ESD and show up in recent documents were approved during the Patterson administration.

As far as Irwin Davis, I would agree that just about anyone could do a better job. Irwin looks like he has benefited from 30 years worth of free lunches and 10 course meals.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The fact that the president of Empire State Development (ESD) has yet to set foot in Syracuse despite being in his position for more than a year is pretty concerning. His comment that nanotechnology is poorly suited for Syracuse is certainly enough to raise some red flags, especially considering this Baldwinsville nanotech company was the only project approved by the regional council that did not receive funding from the state.
New state economic development commissioner says Syracuse is no place for nanotechnology | syracuse.com

It's also somewhat suspicious that we haven't heard a peep out of Chuck Schumer, CenterState CEO or any politician in more than two months since Chuckie came to town announcing that a California chip maker was interested in setting up a nanochip plant in Salina. I wonder if ESD and Cuomo are now trying to steer this plant to Marcy or Canadaigua, two areas that the state has made considerable investment to try and cultivate this industry.
Schumer continues push for Syracuse-area computer chipmaker | Innovation Trail

If you look at the ESD website and press releases announcing new job creation, Syracuse has landed one or two grants from the state since Cuomo took office while at least 75 to 100 grants/loans have been given to Rochester and Buffalo companies. Other projects that received funding from ESD and show up in recent documents were approved during the Patterson administration.

As far as Irwin Davis, I would agree that just about anyone could do a better job. Irwin looks like he has benefited from 30 years worth of free lunches and 10 course meals.
Nanotech company introduces new LED chip - YNN, Your News Now

Well, Ephesus seems to be getting a lot of press lately! Watch the video, I noticed Simpson, Cantor, Magnarelli, Buerkle, and others in the audience. If they want the Tech Garden to have merit, it will have to show results beyond the incubator phase, i.e. research to manufacturing. I think the Clay Business Park on rt. 31 would make a great location at full production, which could turn into a hi-tech corridor like rt. 128 outside Boston. I found this on Ephesus's web-site: awarded a $50,000 grant from the State; has moved to a 40,000 sq.ft. facility in the Radisson Business Park and; is hiring:

http://ephesustech.com/?p=830
http://ephesustech.com/?p=597
http://ephesustech.com.s87654.gridserver.com/
http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...exaY3--_A.cspx

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-04-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area