Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,765,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Based on the comments from the executive producer, I'm inclinded to agree with you. The fact that all of the characters are blue collar and have no education does not inspire confidence that the show will be balanced. According to the most recent coverage, one of the characters will be working as a janitor at St. Joe's. How classy!! If the pilot turns out as predicted, hopefully it will not be picked up by any cable outlet. The Roseanne and Grace Under Fire shows were two of the scummiest sitcom's on television, in my opinon.
And being a janitor is bad because...? Can janitors not be classy? Is Syracuse classy to the extent that a show about it needs to be? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM

93,741 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Yeah, the lack of balance was something I was afraid of. You would think that the show would highlight the higher education presence in the area, along with the blue collar character.

I also wonder if natives that have gone on to some fame will be mentioned or brought onto the show?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, the lack of balance was something I was afraid of. You would think that the show would highlight the higher education presence in the area, along with the blue collar character.

I also wonder if natives that have gone on to some fame will be mentioned or brought onto the show?
Agreed. Since it's such a low budget operation, I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to get an A or B list celeb with Syracuse ties so they we're stuck with E-lister Siobhan, speech impediment and all. I also wouldn't be shocked if Siobhan's family is one of the investors in this silly production.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I also wouldn't be shocked if Siobhan's family is one of the investors in this silly production.
I would be very surprised. You don't acquire wealth by flippantly throwing it into possible sitcom hits. Some people get rich that way... but they don't amass multi-generational wealth by that method. Her family are all local, well-respected professionals.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,535,690 times
Why doesn't everyone just watch the pilot on Thursday and then come to conclusions? At this point, no one knows what the show is exactly - just based on what you hear. I'm going to make my opinions after I watch tomorrow

Old 01-26-2012, 07:15 PM

406 posts, read 1,452,492 times
Default Upstate pilot

Did anyone get a chance to catch this tonight? I just found out that the pilot along with a "making of" Upstate was shown for the first and only time on channel 9. I really wanted to see it, am very bummed that I read nothing about it prior. Oh, well. Maybe it's good enough that it will make it into production.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,620,205 times
The good? The B-roll footage showed a lot of areas around Syracuse.
The bad? The storyline, character development, acting, and lighting.

I have no clue who the characters are or how they relate to each other. It is hard to connect to characters when you know nothing about them other than the job market sucks and they can't find work. It feels very amateur. I don't know if it is a rough draft or finished product. While the dialogue was filled with local references, it was flat and far from funny. Pretty depressing for a "comedy".

Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The good? The B-roll footage showed a lot of areas around Syracuse.
The bad? The storyline, character development, acting, and lighting.

I have no clue who the characters are or how they relate to each other. It is hard to connect to characters when you know nothing about them other than the job market sucks and they can't find work. It feels very amateur. I don't know if it is a rough draft or finished product. While the dialogue was filled with local references, it was flat and far from funny. Pretty depressing for a "comedy".
I was EXCITED to watch... and my mental stamina only permitted 10 minutes, before I turned it off. Pretty bad. Dry and run-on. blech. I'm hoping it was better than the first third.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 PM

406 posts, read 1,452,492 times
Oh, well. I don't care too much for most of what passes for entertainment on the tube these days. I was hoping that this may have been an exception. Sounds like I did not miss much. Thanks for the critiques.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,535,690 times
I watched as well and thought it was decent. But I'm really not into sitcoms, and it didn't really keep my attention. I'd give it another shot if it went big time. Tom Seeley seemed very excited about it and was adamant that he wanted to film/represent Syracue, so I appreciated his tenacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area