Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 02:48 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman5 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'm single with no immediate plans of having kids so I'm not too concerned about school districts. I just do not want to be in too crummy of a neighborhood. It would be nice to find a house in Syracuse or a surrounding town at least under 90k if possible. It looks like this is very possible, but I do appreciate opinions from people who live in and know the area.
What kind of area/neighborhood would you prefer, if you made the move to the area? That can help to narrow in on particular parts of the area. Just to show examples, here are some homes in areas that are fine in a variety of settings: CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S277815

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S271802

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S268823

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S267139

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S276212

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S265837

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S252856

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S268770 (that part of street is fine, but down the hill may not look as good)

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S275624

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274153

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S273882

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S276228

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S266096

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S273653

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S272507

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S272310

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S277959

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S271728

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S276957

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274398

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274197

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S261275

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S264559 (I don't know what is up with all of the other stuff in the pictures)

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S278072

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274350

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274499

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S273664

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S258794

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S263978

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S276086

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274314

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S273275

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S275440

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S270314

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S268532

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S272043

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S265369

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S274920

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S270521

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S269181

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S272929

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S275215

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S267896

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S272763

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S256333

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S271302

and many more...... CNYHomes - Homes for Sale in Syracuse and Central New York - Your Search Results

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,652 times
Default Start looking at $85,000 for a suburban home. $110,000 will be a sucessful suburban price. Syracuse suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman5 View Post
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been posted but I can't get over how cheap the prices of houses are in Syracuse. How cheap can you go and still be buying a house in good condition that's also in a reasonable neighborhood? I've seen houses as low as $50,000 that look reasonable, but it almost seems too good to be true. With that said city-data says that the average price of a house price in Syracuse is $84,000 so it would it seem that at least going a little bit below that will still give you a decent home.

Is crime really that bad in Syracuse? Are there certain areas where you really do not want to live? If so, where are those areas?

Also, how tough is it for some with a masters in accounting to find a job in there field here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hello danman5,

In my opinion, $50,000 is a home price to avoid anywhere in Metro Syracuse & Suburban area. It is either in very bad condition or in a very undesireable area= in either case it equals problems.

You should start looking at the asking price of $85,000; you can always make a lower money offer.

In the recent past, I've seen nice smallish homes in decent middle-class neighborhoods with an asking price of $85,000 to $99,000 and of course they sell pretty quickly depending on circumstances/factors. Most of these homes would have been built in the 1950's & 1960's or older and be a Cape Cod style or small one floor Ranch style home either style home with one bathroom built on a small sized lot; some with basements and some built on concrete slabs=I don't recommend concrete slabs but that is up to you. These $85,000 to $99,000 priced homes have been available in the Liverpool area on streets off Electronics Pkwy. near Old Liverpool Rd. & on streets southward off 7th North St. (Lvrpl), OR in the village of North Syracuse on streets off Allen Rd./Bear Rd. & off Bailey Rd., OR in the Franklin Park section of East Syracuse village on streets off Kinne St., sometimes you can find this priced home in the Fairmount & Camillus & Solvay suburban areas OR sometimes there is a smaller home on streets that run off Downer St. in Baldwinsville. Get yourself a Metro Syracuse/Suburbs street map (at AAA or book store or grocery store) and "highlight" those areas with a yellow marker that I just listed for you.

When you start looking at an asking price of $110,000, then you can find existing homes built in the 1960's/&after in the (Cicero) Brewerton Rd.-Rt. 11 area & in the Lakeshore Rd. area & off Thompson Rd. area of Cicero; also areas of Fairmount & Camillus & parts of Liverpool & parts of North Syracuse & parts of Brewerton.

In regard to employment in your line of work. If you search and keep on searching job listings and applying for jobs and going for interviews for jobs in the Metro Syracuse/Suburban area, I think in time you would find a job in your line of work depending on your qualifications and possible work experience. Just don't get discouraged. Keep on looking/applying/interviewing for that job until you land one. Best of luck to you.

grdnrman

Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The phrase "If it is too good to be true, it probably is" exist for a reason. Houses under $100k are usually run down, in a bad location, or have sky high taxes.
Lets say you need a new cordless drill.

Home Depot has the DeWalt 18V Li-ion for 229$.

1/2 in. 18-Volt Compact Li-Ion Cordless Hammerdrill Kit-DCD775KL at The Home Depot

Harbor Freight has a 18V drill for 29.99$.

18V Cordless Drill - Save big on this 18V Drill

Most people understand you get what you pay for. Some people don't.

People in the later camp like Syracuse. Many of them try to sell used HFT drills on CL for 35 bucks.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The phrase "If it is too good to be true, it probably is" exist for a reason. Houses under $100k are usually run down, in a bad location, or have sky high taxes.
Not necessarily true, as many are just in areas that aren't in as much demand(i.e.-may be an older suburb or an urban neighborhood(that is still fine)) and can still be fine, because they could have had one owner. You get that quite a bit in this area, actually. I just posted many examples and grdnrman's information is spot on.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

1/2 in. 18-Volt Compact Li-Ion Cordless Hammerdrill Kit-DCD775KL at The Home Depot

People in the later camp like Syracuse. Many of them try to sell used HFT drills on CL for 35 bucks.
I don't know if that is a good comparison, as it will depend on many factors(how many times you use it, the kind of jobs that you use it for, etc.).

Old 08-18-2012, 04:44 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,652 times
Default Suburban Syracuse Homes Priced Below $90,000

Hello danman5,

Here are some examples of homes for sale right now, 8-18-12 for under $90,000.

Click on lines to read full details and the money necessary to buy each individual home listed.

North Syracuse NY. Good area. (Priced over $90,000)
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...72273&AgemtID=

Cicero NY. Good suburban area. Priced $30,000 below value. A steal at this price.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...66096&AgentID=

East Syracuse NY.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...75676&AgentID=

Camillus NY. Decent neighborhood.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...70073&AgentID=

Fairmount NY. Good location.
... http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...64107&AgentID=

Those are examples of decent lower priced homes located in safe middle-class suburban neighborhoods.

I hope you liked seeing these examples.

grdnrman

Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 AM

20 posts, read 35,264 times
Okay, I'm seeing a lot of BS in these responses. We've been buying properties in Syracuse for investment and living purposes for the past ten years and, while you do have to do a lot of shopping around, we've had no trouble at all finding properties for around $40,000 and upgrading them very nicely for about $20,000 (8 years ago we got two for under $17K in somewhat bad neighborhoods, but ended up with fine tenants). Add another $10,000-$20,000 and you've got a super home. We've just done this in Eastwood, a neighborhood that is decidedly better south of James Street than north. If you shop in the right places - I recommend Eastwood, Tipp Hill, outer Sedgwick, outer Strathmore (like, beyond all the really expensive homes), the university area. Buy the "dog on the street" and fix it up and you'll have a heck of a deal on your hands. If you live in half and rent the other half, you have a money maker, too. Let your tenant pay mortgage and taxes. It's great.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Okay, I'm seeing a lot of BS in these responses. We've been buying properties in Syracuse for investment and living purposes for the past ten years and, while you do have to do a lot of shopping around, we've had no trouble at all finding properties for around $40,000 and upgrading them very nicely for about $20,000 (8 years ago we got two for under $17K in somewhat bad neighborhoods, but ended up with fine tenants). Add another $10,000-$20,000 and you've got a super home. We've just done this in Eastwood, a neighborhood that is decidedly better south of James Street than north. If you shop in the right places - I recommend Eastwood, Tipp Hill, outer Sedgwick, outer Strathmore (like, beyond all the really expensive homes), the university area. Buy the "dog on the street" and fix it up and you'll have a heck of a deal on your hands. If you live in half and rent the other half, you have a money maker, too. Let your tenant pay mortgage and taxes. It's great.
Great point for those that are willing to put in the work and I believe that Court-Woodlawn, outer Sedgwick(between Schiller Park and say DeWitt Street) and Lincoln Hill(north and east of Lincoln Park closer to James and Teall Streets) would probably work too.

There are also home improvement programs that people can look into as well. Home HeadQuarters

Eastwood - People's Equal Action and Community Effort - P.E.A.C.E., Inc.

Onondaga County Community Development Division

Active Energy Efficiency Savings Assistance and Incentives for Onondaga County NY

Syracuse NY Home Loans Financing Grants Ownership Improvement Programs. | cnyrealtor.com

Old 08-19-2012, 01:02 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

Dewalts are the best drills, no doubt. But for most people, a Ridgid or Porter Cable works really well for them. Just as I believe CNY can work well for some people. So, I wouldn't put CNY down with a Harbor Freight model (the proximity of Syracuse to the northeast megalopolis alone puts it in a higher category). Syracuse seems like a good, solid Craftsman drill- old school and cheap enough for the average person to own, but without the incredible durability, precision, and price of a Dewalt.

BTW, I just spent a week in Colorado for work. Life is definitely not better there. Other than a swath of Colorado from Denver westward to about Glenwood Springs, Colorado is among the worst states I've ever been to. Talk about meth issues. Every local radio station was pray for my son, he's on drugs. Every little podunk downtown had billboards concerning drugs, welfare, "you must pay child support, our kids are suffering", or completely in Spanish. No jobs anywhere except drilling for gas and hauling grain / livestock. The smell of factory slaughterhouses permeates the air in so many areas. Many foreclosed properties. I've never seen poor until I went out there, so many angry people. Mitt Romney commercials in Spanish. When people talk about how great Colorado is, they mean very, very select areas like Boulder, Denver, Aspen, etc. Because outside these areas, I can't see the allure. Eastern Colorado is the Harbor Freight model, IMO.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I wish I could get my innocence back and think like you. The crime here just broke me. Funny for me to think back less then 10 years ago I used to be on a different forum known as a defender of NY. Alot has changed in NY for the worse in just afew years. Its staggering how bad its gotten so fast.

On a good note the other night I was in Syracuse with a group of friends that had never been to Syracuse except like the mall or fair. We were in Nedrow and instead of getting back on 81 we drove right up the South side. Holy crap I didn't realize there were even areas like that in the US. For the first time in years I was actually happy to get back to Oneida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area