Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 32,762 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My hubby and I are native NYers (Binghamton), but have lived in NC for the past 4 years. We are looking to start our family, and would like to move somewhere much closer (but not in Binghamton). I'll try to be as specific as possible about what we are looking for.

1) Within 30 minute commute to Syracuse
2) Home located on 1+ acre of land
3) Home value between $120,000-$180,000
4) Good schools
5) Within 20 minutes or so of a nice town area (restaurants, bars, usual stores, etc).

I hope that is a good starting point, without being too picky. If you all have any questions that could help narrow it down, just let me know! Thanks in advance for your help!

Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I actually would say look in the Western suburbs(Westhill, West Genesee and Marcellus SD's in particular). Your criteria is similar to the area of Onondaga Hill in the Westhill SDthat I grew up in except the commutes are more like 15 minutes, give or take.

Westhill is similar to Chenango Valley, West Genesee is similar to Vestal and Marcellus is similar to maybe Susquehanna Valley in terms of character.

Here's a great website and you may find something in another suburb that may interest you: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

and more good information: The Business Journals

CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source

Fayetteville-Manlius, Baldwinsville, Liverpool and Chittenango are some other examples that may work.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,897 times
Pompey, Jamesville, Cazenovia, Manlius, LaFayette, or Marcellus.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks guys! Ckh- That was especially helpful because we went to CV, so that gives us an idea already.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonanator View Post
Thanks guys! Ckh- That was especially helpful because we went to CV, so that gives us an idea already.
To give an idea of size, if CV went to Regionals for sports, they could potentially play schools like Westhill, Marcellus, Solvay, Chittenango, Cazenovia, Skaneateles and Phoenix in most or all sports. All of those districts would fit your criteria too. Again, I'd say that Westhill fits the most with CV. Both have shopping, a community college and similar demographics within both districts. Both are right next to the center city, but are nice and safe.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,971 times
Default One Acre + Countryside Syracuse NY Home Properties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonanator View Post
Hi all!

My hubby and I are native NYers (Binghamton), but have lived in NC for the past 4 years. We are looking to start our family, and would like to move somewhere much closer (but not in Binghamton). I'll try to be as specific as possible about what we are looking for.

1) Within 30 minute commute to Syracuse
2) Home located on 1+ acre of land
3) Home value between $120,000-$180,000
4) Good schools
5) Within 20 minutes or so of a nice town area (restaurants, bars, usual stores, etc).

I hope that is a good starting point, without being too picky. If you all have any questions that could help narrow it down, just let me know! Thanks in advance for your help!

Jenny
Hello Nonanator,

The one acre of land in that price range puts you a few to several miles outside most villages and built-up suburbs for a newer home. One acre property usually puts you into the countryside unless you are buying a suburban house in the $400,000+ price range. For 1 acre + size countryside property with a NEWER home it will be closer to $180,000 to $200,000; an older countryside house that needs remodelling might be less expensive. Most regular middle-class suburban properties are around 1/4 to to 2/5's acre, although sometimes you can find what I call a "gentlemen's mini-farm" (one to 2 acres) IN an actual suburb; there are a few on Lakeshore Road in Cicero (not for sale). Please remember that property taxes ARE very high, even higher the more land you own. My question is, can you accept a 1/4 acre property or do you definitely want/need one acre + which places you a little out in the undeveloped (fewer neighbors) nearby countryside? I know of a few nearby countryside 5 to 20 acre properties (I might be able to find a place with less acreage) with newer homes in the price range of $225,000 to maybe $270,000; ? maybe you could sell part of the land ?

If you can answer the above, maybe I can send you more detailed info=photos, prices, tax figures. Tell me the minimum amount of land that you can accept and the absolute highest price you want to pay and I will work from that information; no sense me suggesting places that don't fit either of those definite guidelines.

grdnrman

Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 8,734 times
Clay.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 AM

grdnrman- My husband grew up on about 4-5 acres of land, and remembers fondly having trails throughout the property, camping, having bonfires with his family, etc. He'd love something like that again, with room for four-wheeling, things like that. I have lived in the suburbs all my life, so it'll be a bit of a change for me, but a good one after living near a crowded city the past few years. I think we would be looking for something in the range of 1.5-5 acres.

We are ok with something that needs to be updated a bit, and somewhat enjoy projects like that, as long as it is habitable.

ETA- Thanks!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,625 times
You pretty much described Marcellus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area