Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM

93,428 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiana123 View Post
You all have been great. ProulXFamily--THANK YOU for that advice RE the Lake. I was thinking that not necessarily to swim, but more of a stroll if it is park like, but if it is that polluted--suggestions for other leisurely strolls in this regard? lol

I appreciate all of your advice. I also appreciate the inclusion of diversity comments--and the schools. Black/non-black ratio is not so much a big deal (we don't really care or see color as much as some others do around us) as long as it is an inclusive mindset in general that is most important. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will get a chance to come and see for ourselves some of these areas and look at houses, etc... I haven't looked yet at the North area in terms of schools, but based on your suggestions have researched a little more on the J-D, and F-M, and Liverpool areas for living and schools and all three seem to be excellent school systems at least as far as HighSchool academics are concerned.

Is it me, or do the pics from the J-D areas seem a little run down for houses? Keep in mind, I have two sons--one nearly in HighSchool and one in elementary so I really would like SAFE neighborhoods to live in as well as EXCELLENT schools. I know--what can I say, I'm a mom and a woman--I want it all!
J-D may have some older homes that need work, but it actually is one of the most affluent school districts in the area and probably Upstate NY. It is largely safe too. So, you should be fine there. An area that district you may like is Bradford Heights or the area near Tecumseh Elementary close by.

Also, are there any extra curricular activities that your sons participate in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Also, don't be afraid to walk at Onondaga Lake/Longbranch Park as many do so. Green Lakes, Ryder Park in DeWitt and the Erie Canal Trail are some good places to go for a walk. Here is some information: Home » Onondaga County Parks

Town Of DeWitt - Onondaga County, New York. Established Since 1835.

Central Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Erie Canalway - Things to Do - Erie Canalway Trail

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,617 times
Strolling is fine. It's a beautiful place... very old trees of all sorts, a skate park, different kinds of pedicabs for rent, games, sports fields, AWESOME playgrounds, dog park, running/biking/rolling ONLY street, and a water sprayer just to.get.wet on those really hot days. And restaurants all around, to watch it.

You just can't swim in it.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,617 times

Onondaga Lake Park - YouTube

Old 06-23-2013, 05:32 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
I live in the Village of Liverpool and absolutely love it. If there's anything specific you'd like to know, questions, etc... I would be glad to help. When I was first looking at areas to live, the lake was a huge plus as I thought it was swimmable... after some quick Googling however, I found out that's not the case. But regardless, the Village is still a fantastic place to live even if you can't swim in the lake

Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 AM

19 posts, read 43,409 times
You all have been great. I love the park video and that makes me feel excited about the move. As for my kids, my oldest who will be in 8th grade, is really into computers/technology and video production. He has been taking classes on writing scripts, video editing and shooting etc and he has loved doing this-- so if there is a communications class offerings that would be good. He also plays basketball, runs cross country, soccer and swimming, but here in the Midwest we don't really have a huge lacrosse market and he tried it once in a "sports club" that toyed with various activities and he enjoyed it so my guess is that with the lacrosse market there beig prevalent it may be something he picks up. My youngest going to kindergarten swims, soccer, dance/music, and gymnastics-- he's so young but he is very strong busy and athletic-- so I have to keep him active lol. As long as the curriculum is good and teachers are inspiring my oldest is an average a/b student and my youngest right now is very advanced for his age--and when in pre-k here they didn't accept him for public pre-k bc he was too advanced and already placed well into kindergarten level... They said they had to reserve public pre-k for the needy students who needed more work..
Anyways that is about my boys any advice for extracurricular with curriculum will be great (especially for my teen more than anything with his age I have to keep him engaged)

Thank you again. On a other note, I have found some townhouse rentals in Liverpool called eagles nest and saddle club--any comments on these complexes? Or other townhouse neighborhoods that are good any may in/around the school systems you are mentioning?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM

Since you mentioned video production, you may also want to consider East Syracuse-Minoa, which has a video production program. East Syracuse Minoa CHS | High Schools | School Profiles

Jamesville-DeWitt has Media Production classes too. http://www.jamesvilledewitt.org/tfil...ullSummary.pdf (Tech info starts at page 55)

I know that Baldwinsville's Baker High has its own radio station and may be of interest to you. WBXL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's some more information: Liverpool High School

The Sutton Companies | Hampton Estates Townhomes

Grenadier Village Apartments for Rent - Liverpool, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

Rivers Pointe Apartments for Rent - Liverpool, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

Pinecrest Manor Apartments for Rent - Liverpool, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

Brentwood Village Apartments for Rent - Liverpool, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

Franklin Park Apartments Apartments for Rent - East Syracuse, NY Apartments | Apartment Finder

Baldwinsville Apartments for Rent - Apartments in Baldwinsville, NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiana123 View Post
Thank you again. On a other note, I have found some townhouse rentals in Liverpool called eagles nest and saddle club--any comments on these complexes? Or other townhouse neighborhoods that are good any may in/around the school systems you are mentioning?
I don't have kids so can't speak about schools, but I'm familiar with all the complexes in the area.

Eagles Pointe Townhomes is decent and they are really nice on the inside (I know because I checked them out before). I have friends that live there as well and they say it's generally fine. Saddle Club I normally tell people to stay away from. There's a group of about 15+ complexes all right in that area and they aren't separate - the roads go right through them all. It's not that there's problems with Saddle Club directly, but some complexes attached to the area have been known to have many problems. There was a poster on here that did end up staying there because it was only for a year or less and they did perfectly fine. So really, it's hit or miss. There are much better places than Saddle Club though.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM

19 posts, read 43,409 times
Becca--when I look online the Saddle Wood apartments don't seem too bad. Would you say the place is bad for overall issues with property management or neighborhood, safety, crime, cleanliness, etc.?

What I am really wanting is someplace that is safe, where I can feel good about being at home and around with my boys--my husband will be working alot with his position--and/or for my sons to go out an play with friends. We own our home where we are at now and in a nice safe neighborhood and since we are not planning to buy right away I am going to be in a transition from owning to renting as it is. I don't even necessarily need Liverpool, but from what I am gathering between the schools and diversity of people, culturally tolerant, etc.--Liverpool seems to be where people are saying would be good for our family. Either that, I am also interested in the Jamesville/Dewitt area for school--which I am still researching a little more on schools thanks to a previous poster.

By the way, anyone have any thoughts on income tax, etc.? I have already read about the high property taxes in the area, but how about state/local taxes?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 AM

I know that Pinecrest Manor has a small park next to it and it is right behind the Taft Road Wegmans. There's also a swimming pool and a tennis court on the grounds. It is in the Liverpool SD. Grenadier Village in Liverpool has the Elmcrest Elementary School playground close by and has swimming pools, a tennis court and a beach volleyball court on the premises. So, those 2 may work.

As for other taxes, this should help: https://www.retirementliving.com/tax...yoming#NEWYORK

If you don't mind me asking, where would you be coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area