Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times

Advertisements

We moved from Long Island late '06. We are paying the same taxes as we did on L.I., on a house 3 times larger and property 10 times larger with a school system that is better than many on L.I. Taxes are too high, but at least the infrastructure here is well maintained. Also, we were very pleasantly surprised at the wonderful parks in the area, maintained much nicer than the ones on L.I. It is a case of getting what you pay for, somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
what town are you in ?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,551 times
Property taxes are A LOT MORE INEXPENSIVE (in Syracuse) than Long Island. I now live in Long Island (south shore). Taxes are so outrageous that I can not afford to buy. I am definitely considering moving back to Syracuse. The rent I am paying here ($ 1300-One Bedroom) could easily be used for my potential mortage in Syracuse.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 PM

59 posts, read 200,180 times
ARIE83..You obviously have not paid much attention to the property taxes in Syracyse if you think they are inexpensive. The Syracuse area had been cited as having the highest taxes per property values in the country in the past several years. I work for a mortgage company reviewing mortgage funding packages and it is common to see houses bought for $150,000 with $5,000 in taxes in the Syracuse area. This is over 5% of the house value. If you think this is inexpensive, I want some of what you are smoking. You are living in the LI area where everything is more expensive. Check the percentage of taxes per purchase price and decide if Syracuse is inexpensive.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty514 View Post
ARIE83..You obviously have not paid much attention to the property taxes in Syracyse if you think they are inexpensive. The Syracuse area had been cited as having the highest taxes per property values in the country in the past several years. I work for a mortgage company reviewing mortgage funding packages and it is common to see houses bought for $150,000 with $5,000 in taxes in the Syracuse area. This is over 5% of the house value. If you think this is inexpensive, I want some of what you are smoking. You are living in the LI area where everything is more expensive. Check the percentage of taxes per purchase price and decide if Syracuse is inexpensive.
Actually, I believe Monroe County/Rochester, NY area.... has higher taxes per property values than Onondaga County/Syracuse, NY area.

Last I heard the ranking was Niagara County, NY #1, Monroe County, NY #2 and Onondaga County, NY #3 for highest property taxes.

New York State really needs to lift the Medicaid burden off the County governments in Upstate NY!

Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIE83 View Post
Property taxes are A LOT MORE INEXPENSIVE (in Syracuse) than Long Island. I now live in Long Island (south shore). Taxes are so outrageous that I can not afford to buy. I am definitely considering moving back to Syracuse. The rent I am paying here ($ 1300-One Bedroom) could easily be used for my potential mortage in Syracuse.
I guess you did not read my post. Taxes here Onondaga County are a lot more per property value than those on L.I. A house worth $550,000 on L.I. may pay $10,000, about the same as a house worth $350,000 here. That said, that $350,000 Onondaga house would sell for at least twice that on the Island. All in all, we all pay far too much.

Momix5, we are in Pompey, southeast of Syracuse and quite rural, and we love it!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 16,418 times
We relocated to South Carolina 3 years ago and are now actively looking to get back to our hometown - Syracuse! We miss it soooo much. Having beautiful weather is great and all but NOT enough. We also miss the schools and the level of education that CNY has to offer. My husband is in medical sales and is currently seeking employment in the Syracuse area. Anybody have any leads?????????? Appreciate it!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,378 times
Have him look into BoundTree Medical Supplies....good Luck with the relo back home. I made my move last August from Fl. Couldn't wait to get back!!! And haven't looked back yet.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 16,418 times
Cuse - Thanks for the lead! Appreciate it!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse View Post
Have him look into BoundTree Medical Supplies....good Luck with the relo back home. I made my move last August from Fl. Couldn't wait to get back!!! And haven't looked back yet.

cuse - I am so happy for you!! I long for NY every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area