Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:51 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,596,527 times

Advertisements

The capital region is indeed very nice, and has a "nicer" standard of living mainly due to the plethora of state government jobs. In terms of industry and non-government jobs it is really not much better off than the rest of Upstate (ballyhooed chip factories notwithstanding). On the other hand, it's damn hard to get around over there. Albany is kind of a traffic nightmare. You either have the interstates to deal with (90 and the very congested Northway) or you can take two-lane roads everywhere. When I had extended stays in the area, I was surprised at what a pain it was to get around.

One other thing about the capital region is that they seem much less prepared (logistically and psychologically) for winter snow events. Of course, they seem to get hit harder by stuff like ice storms and proper blizzards (Nor'easters) which result in disastrous road conditions. Yet I remember being there for lighter snow events and my God, you would think the end of the world was coming by the way they carried on! Being a Syracusan, I kind of felt like smacking some of them in the face and saying "Calm down, get a hold of yourselves..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 PM

70 posts, read 179,458 times
There is a huge difference in almost everything. One, it is not as diverse as D.C. mainly white people. Crime is a lot lower. Population is a lot lower, but still a metro of 650,000 people. Syracuse is going through a huge change right now, it used to be huge in manufacturing, well we all know those jobs have gone off to China. Now, jobs in Syracuse's is huge in Medical jobs, educational jobs, green jobs and soon to be biotechnology jobs. Good high paying jobs especially in a very low cost of living area. Everything is relaxed in this area. You have to be somewhere at 5, no worries leave at 4:40 and you can make it. Also, you like winters, well Syracuse usually gets over 100 inches of snow every year but most of the time it wont snow until December and usually ends in March. Last year, the last time we had snow was the second week of February. People definitely exaggerate how bad the winters really are up. Yes, it is cold from November to April. But overall, it is a great city to raise a family, work and still have a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area