Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 PM

941 posts, read 3,920,501 times

Advertisements

Hello, all:

I've been wanting an environment change. So I'm up and moving somewhere else.

I'm considering the Syracuse area because 1) It's close to Ontario, Canada. 2) Less populated than where I currently reside 3) I like winters...a lot. 4) It's not stupidly expensive.

A few basics.

1) How is the job market, and what types of jobs are available?
2) I know taxes are expensive in NY, but how expensive and different from say the D.C. area?
3) Will I, a single young guy, be bored all the times? I rarely interact socially. I like nature more than people.
4) What's the housing like? Is there affordable country/rural areas around/outside Syracuse?

I currently live in the Washington, DC area...how does Syracuse compare? is it vastly different? I don't like DC and want to get away.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 PM

6 posts, read 23,762 times
Default My thoughts exactly...

Thank you for that question!! After reading the forums about Syracuse I was beginning to wonder "Where are all the single people?"

My job may take me to Syracuse, being a 24 year old single female I was becoming apprehensive about the city. Is there an area where more young professionals live than others?

Please advise =-)

Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 PM

3,572 posts, read 9,461,699 times

Good paying jobs are hard to come by in the Syracuse area. New York State is so anti-business (downstate politicians don't care about creating jobs Upstate…especially in the Syracuse area) so many companies avoid locating in New York. Since jobs are so few, local employers only desire employees that have years of work experience in that field of work. Therefore, good entry level jobs are very few and far between. That's why there has been a mass exodus of young adults from Upstate NY since 1994.

Most available good paying jobs are in health care.

2) I know taxes are expensive in NY, but how expensive and different from say the D.C. area?

I'm not familiar with property taxes in Maryland, but I imagine that property taxes are probably double or more depending on location here in New York State. That is another reason why many families and young people leave Upstate NY...the high property taxes that are mandated by programs set up to help Downstate politician's social programs...especially Medicaid.

3) Will I, a single young guy, be bored all the times? I rarely interact socially. I like nature more than people.

No, I doubt you will be bored at all times. There are many different places to go and things to do year around...especially during the summer months. There's Armory Square in downtown, Carousel Mall... which is currently undergoing an expansion that will make it the 8th largest mall in the US, there are many bars that play live music, clubs, many great parks, seven large nearby lakes, over 30 large festivals, and events year around.

4) What's the housing like? Is there affordable country/rural areas around/outside Syracuse?

Affordable housing is one of the major advantages of the Syracuse area. The average price of a home in the Syracuse market is about $120,000. It is still possible to buy a smaller nice home in a safe neighborhood for around $80,000 here. There are many affordable rural towns around Syracuse. Housing here is similar to any metropolitan area. The homes built before 1940 are located within the city limits. Most of housing in the suburbs were built between 1945 and today. Most rural areas around Syracuse have older homes pre-1970, but if you look hard enough there is some new construction.

I currently live in the Washington, DC area...how does Syracuse compare? is it vastly different? I don't like DC and want to get away.

I'd say Washington DC is very different.

-The Metro population of Washington DC is roughly 5 million. Syracuse's metro population is only 650,000

-The Washington DC area has been growing or rather booming in population for past 40 years. The Syracuse area hasn't grow much since 1970...so there is much less new construction in the city and suburbs.

-Due all the good paying entry level jobs in the Washington DC area, young people have been flocking there for decades. On the other hand, due to the lack of job growth in the Syracuse area, young people having been moving away since the mid-1990s....especially people in the 23 to 40 year old age group.

-The population of the Washington DC is transit and most people aren't very friendly I've heard. On the other hand most people in the Syracuse have roots here and are for the most part very friendly.

-Crime is bad in Washington DC. Syracuse's crime rate isn't that bad and most of the crime is limited to a few run-down hoods in the City of Syracuse. Most of the suburbs are very safe.

-Washington DC has terrible traffic. The traffic in the Syracuse area is almost non-existent.

Hope this help a little!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:09 PM

3,572 posts, read 9,461,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakers View Post
Is there an area where more young professionals live than others?

Please advise =-)
The only place I can think of is Downtown Syracuse....maybe Franklin Square?

There aren't a huge number of young professionals in the Syracuse area....guessing probably only 30,00 to 50,000... so most are spread out all of the city and suburbs.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 AM

94,162 posts, read 125,007,476 times
Default I'd say......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
The only place I can think of is Downtown Syracuse....maybe Franklin Square?

There aren't a huge number of young professionals in the Syracuse area....guessing probably only 30,00 to 50,000... so most are spread out all of the city and suburbs.
or include the Westcott area by SU, Liverpool due to the many apartment complexes and maybe Eastwood due to being a village within the city. Tipperary Hill on the Westside is known for having some younger people in the area as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Just to add........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Good paying jobs are hard to come by in the Syracuse area. New York State is so anti-business (downstate politicians don't care about creating jobs Upstate…especially in the Syracuse area) so many companies avoid locating in New York. Since jobs are so few, local employers only desire employees that have years of work experience in that field of work. Therefore, good entry level jobs are very few and far between. That's why there has been a mass exodus of young adults from Upstate NY since 1994.

Most available good paying jobs are in health care.

I'm not familiar with property taxes in Maryland, but I imagine that property taxes are probably double or more depending on location here in New York State. That is another reason why many families and young people leave Upstate NY...the high property taxes that are mandated by programs set up to help Downstate politician's social programs...especially Medicaid.

No, I doubt you will be bored at all times. There are many different places to go and things to do year around...especially during the summer months. There's Armory Square in downtown, Carousel Mall... which is currently undergoing an expansion that will make it the 8th largest mall in the US, there are many bars that play live music, clubs, many great parks, seven large nearby lakes, over 30 large festivals, and events year around.

Affordable housing is one of the major advantages of the Syracuse area. The average price of a home in the Syracuse market is about $120,000. It is still possible to buy a smaller nice home in a safe neighborhood for around $80,000 here. There are many affordable rural towns around Syracuse. Housing here is similar to any metropolitan area. The homes built before 1940 are located within the city limits. Most of housing in the suburbs were built between 1945 and today. Most rural areas around Syracuse have older homes pre-1970, but if you look hard enough there is some new construction.

I'd say Washington DC is very different.

-The Metro population of Washington DC is roughly 5 million. Syracuse's metro population is only 650,000

-The Washington DC area has been growing or rather booming in population for past 40 years. The Syracuse area hasn't grow much since 1970...so there is much less new construction in the city and suburbs.

-Due all the good paying entry level jobs in the Washington DC area, young people have been flocking there for decades. On the other hand, due to the lack of job growth in the Syracuse area, young people having been moving away since the mid-1990s....especially people in the 23 to 40 year old age group.

-The population of the Washington DC is transit and most people aren't very friendly I've heard. On the other hand most people in the Syracuse have roots here and are for the most part very friendly.

-Crime is bad in Washington DC. Syracuse's crime rate isn't that bad and most of the crime is limited to a few run-down hoods in the City of Syracuse. Most of the suburbs are very safe.

-Washington DC has terrible traffic. The traffic in the Syracuse area is almost non-existent.

Hope this help a little!

As far as jobs, you might want to try the University; and companies like Syracuse Research Corporation, Sensis, Time Warner, AXA, Excellus and Bank of NY, among others. Here are a couple of places to look:Local Employer Listings - CNY Works - Works for All of Us

Central New York Jobs

daVincijobs - Job Search

Try the company websites as well.

As far as affordable communities outside of Syracuse, try Mattydale(town of Salina/North Syracuse SD, Nedrow(town of Onondaga/Onondaga Central SD, East Syracuse area(inc. Park Hill/Parkwood/Franklin Park/town of DeWitt/East Syracuse -Minoa SD), Solvay(within town of Geddes/Solvay SD), Galeville(town of Salina/Liverpool SD), North Syracuse area and parts of Fairmount(town of Camillus/West Genesee SD), Westvale(town of Geddes/Westhill SD) and the Baldwinsville area(the village(split between towns of Lysander & Van Buren) and Seneca Knolls(Van Buren). Baldwinsville has it's own school district. Some of the neighborhoods in the these communities are hit or miss due to the way the houses are kept up more than anything else.

Actually, Cayuga County is added to the Metro area and that pushes it up to about 740,000 and if you add Cortland Couty, which isn't in the metro by is adjacent to Onondaga County, that goes up to about 790,000.

As far as nature, you might like going to places like Beaver Lake in the Baldwinsville area, Baltimore Woods in Marcellus, Highland Forest in Fabius and some others in the area. Here is a guide to places you might be interested in going to: Onondaga County Parks, Beaver Lake Nature Center (http://onondagacountyparks.com/parks/beaver/ - broken link)
Just click on the parks to the left and here's Baltimore Woods info.:Centers for Nature Education - Home Page. Don't forget about the close proximity to the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks and the North Country, as well.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM

941 posts, read 3,920,501 times
Wow, this was the most help I've ever gotten on here...looks like Syracuse is the place to be

Thanks for the links! I'll read up and come back with questions.

One for now; I plan to go back and finish college. any good community colleges/universities around there?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Definately, there is Onondaga Community College, which is located on Onondaga Hill:Onondaga Community College

There's a CC in Auburn by the name of Cayuga CC, and SUNY-Morrisville has 2 year programs:http://www.morrisville.edu/

Cayuga Community College : Home Page

Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 PM

231 posts, read 628,188 times
Default Job Market

Ok, so the job market isn't so hot in genaral. Any idea when it comes to teachers? My g/f is going to school to become a social studies teacher and I'm working on my law degree. Any future in syracuse for us?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 PM

39 posts, read 126,483 times
If you have an engineering background then you won't have any trouble finding a job, Lockheed Martin, Sensis Corp and several other companies are usually always looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area