Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,761,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I don't know about out here, but in Vegas, their tracks do not go to the airport. I am told that the Transportation Authority would have a fit as it would cut down on the use of taxis, buses, shuttles, and parking fees. It would be a great option for the customers, but you would make a lot of enemies in the process and most likely cut a lot of jobs.

I am assuming that is why the subways in NYC don't go to the airports, but I could be wrong.
INefficiency results in waste. Always. People need to be open to adapt to ever-changing markets.

I concede that taxi-drivers won't like it... but maybe they wouldn't mind if it didn't cost an obscene amount of money to qualify for a position in an industry that consists of skills that People-with-Cars use all.the.time. That's paring it down quite a bit, of course- but really, if you can drive, have street smarts and can provide a good service... why shouldn't you be able to do it? (Tangent, again. Sorry.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
$1.4 million DeWitt youth center eyed | Eagle News Online

The town of DeWitt has plans for the park donated by Carrier Corporation in 2010 to turn it into a $1.4 million youth sports mega-complex to be used to bring youth tournaments to the area and to also help stimulate DeWitt’s economy. My only objection is they (I believe) they want to name it "Willis Carrier Recreation Center". I wouldn't name anything after Carrier, since they are no longer a major employer in the area short of their engineering staff.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I wouldn't name anything after Carrier, since they are no longer a major employer in the area short of their engineering staff.
They did donate the property, after all

Old 03-18-2012, 03:31 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times
Regarding Carrier, I know nothing about them, but met someone the other day that works for them here. They still employ around 1500 people in the Syracuse area from what they told me.

Also, drove through Manlius and there is STILL absolutely NO development on the Madison Row project. It's a completely empty lot with no activity whatsoever.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
They did donate the property, after all
true, but after closing all their local manufacturing. Other than engineering, there is not much of a presence.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
true, but after closing all their local manufacturing. Other than engineering, there is not much of a presence.
Their engineering division is still pretty large. Pales by comparison to what it used to be, but they employ quite a few people over there.

Outside of Bristol Myers-Squibb, I'd be hard pressed to name many larger Town of Dewitt employers. Carrier engineering's probably more than what's left of Magna NPG, and I don't know that Anaren or anyone else is quite that large.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 PM

84 posts, read 124,967 times
Syracuse.com reported that the Madison Row project is delayed about six months. Apparently the poor economy is still the excuse that is being thrown around for delayed projects.

Also, Cameron Group LLC is still pushing for the new SU bookstore to be tax exempt. I'm worried that the city is willing to do anything for progress. I'm for new developments and stores, but the city does need to collect tax money.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM

288 posts, read 510,566 times
No way, lets hope the city approves SU's new facility because either way that land is owned by SU. So they'll make more money if they approve it and will add a new nice building in the university hill area; why not approve this project? Plus, the more new construction and development we see in Syracuse, the more it will help younger kids stay in Syracuse, and think of it something nicer than an eyesore.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 AM

84 posts, read 124,967 times
I tend to agree with you. The current parking garage does nothing to add to the area and if they don't approve it, the lot will just stay empty. It can be a bit frustrating though that so little tax is payed to the city by these institutions that own so much of the land.

The Syracuse IDA just released some notes for its upcoming meeting. Included in there is a request for a PILOT for Banker's Healthcare Group. They want to renovate the Dry Dock Grill and the adjacent factory into Class A office space and add 30-50 new employees. This continues the string of renovations that are occurring in the Franklin Square harbor. With the addition of the Inner Harbor development, that are should be booming with construction.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,622,137 times
There were two additional projects discussed during today's meeting at the Syracuse Industrial Development agency.

1.) Conversion of vacant Tipp Hill church building into 22 Market Rate Apartments
Hayner Hoyt requests tax incentives to transform St. Patrick's School into 22 apartments | syracuse.com

2.) Redevelopment of former Byrne Dairy Warehouse on Erie Blvd West
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/communications_company_cancels.html

Syracuse-based MAC Source Communications had planned to relocate its headquarters to Liverpool until the city's office of Economic Development got wind of the planned move and helped find a suitable building several blocks away on Erie Boulevard West. The company will renovate the vacant warehouse formerly occupied by Byrne Dairy and add 15 jobs over the next few years.

It's nice to see the city being proactive about retaining companies. The renovation of several blighted warehouses on Erie Boulevard West into loft apartments and office space could really provide a nice gateway into downtown and the near west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area