Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 PM

93,448 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
The sad thing is she should know better. She's a city resident (owns one of the beautiful old homes in the Berkeley neighborhood near SU).

I rather vehemently object to just about the entire piece, though I recognize there's a not insubstantial part of the Syracuse area that agrees with her. That same block of people, by and large, would also not come downtown if her plan was executed, for some vague crime fear or other nonsense. In other words: it's the sort of plan that would appeal to the same audiences who'd never really consider coming downtown in the first place. Are there some ugly buildings on that block? Sure. But the wait-and-see turn-to-parking and hope for a development plan that she says succeeded with the Marriott being built... well, that took about 40 years. I don't think Warren Street has that long...
Your first part of this post was what I was thinking. As a city resident, she should know better, but some people do not understand the positive aspects of density.

I also think that it is a matter of time that the Warren Street part of Downtown gets developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I appreciate Urbanplanner's more diplomatic take, but I'm fully in with the ad hominem on this one. She's an ignoramus.

Her takes on urbanism are truly some of dumbest things I've ever read. Tales of house-sitting for friends in suburban Maryland and driving into this urban wonderland that is Bethesda; the main flaw of the Onondaga Creekwalk (lack of parking); and now this: opining that half a block should be demolished for a parking lot for suburban visitors. This is a block with two parking garages, fewer than ten buildings, and a large vacant lot.

The role of the op-ed is a valuable one; ostensibly knowledgeable people put forth ideas for public enlightenment or debate. She's hit the latter. Thankfully her wrongheaded take on urban policy is apparent to the crowd on here. Hopefully more people recognize this for what it is - an ignorant woman whose experience is limited by a life in Central New York. If views like hers represent the future of Syracuse, everyone might as well give up.
LOL ("diplomatic take")...Yes, I was keeping my composure trying to keep my "chakras in alignment with the universe" when posting. All I can say is "wow"! For someone who professes to be an "urbanist", she is off the mark with this article!

I also agree with you, my jaw dropped when she commented on the lack of parking along the Creekwalk. She did make some good suggestions regarding the creekwalk, i.e. signage, plantings, public arts, recreational elements, etc. along the creekwalk. Mayor Minor mentioned in her state of the city address (I had time on my hands ) that the City secured a half million dollars to furnish those items. See page 4 of State of City address below, end of first paragraph: (I am the City was seeking those funds well before Maureens "Creekwalk" article).

[SIZE=3]http://www.syracuse.ny.us/uploadedFiles/City_Hall/Mayors_Office/Content/Press_Releases/Mayor%20Miner's%20State%20of%20the%20City%20Addres s%202012.pdf[/SIZE]

To be fair, Maureen did open her article with: "if as many as five other people agree with me, I will be shocked" I am sure she is right, except for those commenting on the (Warren Street) article in the P-S. I believe they are a dying breed.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 03-05-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM

382 posts, read 1,531,760 times
At first I thought the article was from the Onion. OMG

Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's not actually new - that was proposed several years. Supposedly, it's still planned, but financing and such has been on hold for awhile.
Your right ack, I sent an e-mail to Cameron last fall asking for T5 status. To their credit, I did get a reply. Cameron intents on moving forward, but financing is an issue due to the markets. Thus, they were non-committal regarding time frames for that reason. On the positive side, they did update/produce the video, site plans, demographics, etc. which shows it is still a work in progress.

btw, I think they made some changes to the original design. Based on the video, it seems a little less "lifestyle center" and more of a "shopping center", i.e. Town Center in Fayetteville. In any event, its a nice design and perfect for Camillus.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 03-05-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Also, the same developer, Cameron group, plans on constructing a Syracuse University bookstore and fitness center. Lets hope this goes through as well!
Thanks for the T5 link! See my post to acknight, I had sent an e-mail to Cameron regarding the status of T5 last fall.

Here is the Cameron link to the proposed SU bookstore and fitness center: University Hill, Syracuse, NY | Cameron Group LLC. I am curious about the "University Hill Redevelopment" area (bordered in red) shown on the aerial? I am assuming the bookstore and fitness center will be located within that area, but is there something on a larger scale proposed for that area, i.e. overlay district? The pdf mentions something about a "Stadium Anchored Mixed-Use Center".

Thanks again!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 03-05-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Thanks for the T5 link! See my post to acknight, I had sent an e-mail to Cameron regarding the status of T5 last fall.

Here is the Cameron link to the proposed SU bookstore and fitness center: University Hill, Syracuse, NY | Cameron Group LLC. I am curious, what is that "University Hill Redevelopment" area bordered in red? I am assuming the bookstore and fitness center will be located within that area, but is there something on a larger scale proposed for that area, i.e. overlay district? It mentions something of a "stadium anchored mixed-use center".

Thanks again!
I'm curious too - the bookstore's in the bottom right-ish of that outline. SU owns several of the lots in there, but so does Crouse - and there's a few private buildings in there too. There's a patchwork of under-developed land in that area.

The stadium-anchored part seems to be referring to the Carrier Dome if I'm reading it right. I do find it interesting that the Aerial Image tab and the showcase graphics both refer to seemingly much more extensive development, while everything else refers to just the rather meh bookstore plan.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I'm curious too - the bookstore's in the bottom right-ish of that outline. SU owns several of the lots in there, but so does Crouse - and there's a few private buildings in there too. There's a patchwork of under-developed land in that area.

The stadium-anchored part seems to be referring to the Carrier Dome if I'm reading it right. I do find it interesting that the Aerial Image tab and the showcase graphics both refer to seemingly much more extensive development, while everything else refers to just the rather meh bookstore plan.
To me "stadium-anchored" sounds like an overlay district with the dome as the central theme, but I don't know. I agree with your reference to the design. I like contemporary and modern when appropriate and done right, i.e. Washington Station, "your" ESF Academic Research Center, etc. I am sure the scale is fine, but it does not excite me. It looks like something proposed for south Florida.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM

Planner: Syracuse streets are not meant just for cars, trucks | syracuse.com

Great article on “complete the streets” to make roads safer and more accessible. I would have to see the final product, but this is good for Syracuse (or any community). I appreciate Common Councilor Bob Dougherty comment that “Change is hard,” but he is not necessarily correct when he says “(In) other places people are used to that stuff.” Come here to Florida, esp. south Florida who are as short-sighted as they come. It is literally "sport" to knock a cyclist off their bikes while they are in a designated bike lane (granted, the lane is striped). There are no plans to move in the direction Syracuse is taking.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
The DO has a piece on the Armory Courtyard by Marriott: Two hotels to be constructed on same property in Armory Square - News - The Daily Orange (http://www.dailyorange.com/news/two-hotels-to-be-constructed-on-same-property-in-armory-square-1.2812707 - broken link)

Their metro reporting is often pretty derivative, so take this with a grain of salt, but they mention 15,000 square feet of retail. Don't know if they lifted that from an outdated story or if that's actually planned.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
The DO has a piece on the Armory Courtyard by Marriott: Two hotels to be constructed on same property in Armory Square - News - The Daily Orange (http://www.dailyorange.com/news/two-hotels-to-be-constructed-on-same-property-in-armory-square-1.2812707 - broken link)

Their metro reporting is often pretty derivative, so take this with a grain of salt, but they mention 15,000 square feet of retail. Don't know if they lifted that from an outdated story or if that's actually planned.
Not a bad article, better than some P-S articles I've seen. Jean Kessner shed some light on the need for more hotel rooms downtown. "Jean Kessner, Syracuse councilor-at-large, said downtown Syracuse is often criticized for its lack of hotel space." I found this quote to be interesting and encouraging, "If they (hotel guests) are looking for housing, they will like living downtown," she said. "They become prospects for the very innovative housing projects that are being planned." Sounds like they have a plan to market downtown to those outside the region who consider a move to Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area