Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,821 times

Advertisements

Some Campus Hill updates: getting around west of the Dome'll be a bit tricky this summer. The Hayner Hoyt project along Henry Street is set to be finished in August; construction on Dineen Hall (currently the Raynor parking lot, between Sadler Hall and Irving Garage) is to begin this summer. Housing in the adjacent block to Sadler (to the west) is to be demolished this summer in preparations for a land swap to allow the construction of the ESF Academic Research Building that was announced a little while back.

Apparently, Upstate is also planning a new building behind Weiskotten Hall but don't have much detail-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Housing in the adjacent block to Sadler (to the west) is to be demolished this summer in preparations for a land swap to allow the construction of the ESF Academic Research Building that was announced a little while back.
Demolished, or deconstructed? I know there was popular demand at ESF to salvage most of the materials from those houses, but the college (or maybe their foundation) was concerned about the extra cost.

Also, do they plan to break ground on the new academic research building this summer? The fall football tailgating could be hairy for some people this year (no complaints here; building out those lots is a great thing, and tailgating on the Quad is far superior to Stadium West).

Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Demolished, or deconstructed? I know there was popular demand at ESF to salvage most of the materials from those houses, but the college (or maybe their foundation) was concerned about the extra cost.

Also, do they plan to break ground on the new academic research building this summer? The fall football tailgating could be hairy for some people this year (no complaints here; building out those lots is a great thing, and tailgating on the Quad is far superior to Stadium West).
The document I got that from said demolished, but it was in the minutes of a SU meeting. Not sure which route they're taking.

Purportedly, they're planning on starting construction in the summer sometime, but that's probably still dependent on the land swap with SU. SU still owns the land and the ESF foundation still owns the houses, if memory serves.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Some Campus Hill updates: getting around west of the Dome'll be a bit tricky this summer. The Hayner Hoyt project along Henry Street is set to be finished in August; construction on Dineen Hall (currently the Raynor parking lot, between Sadler Hall and Irving Garage) is to begin this summer. Housing in the adjacent block to Sadler (to the west) is to be demolished this summer in preparations for a land swap to allow the construction of the ESF Academic Research Building that was announced a little while back.

Apparently, Upstate is also planning a new building behind Weiskotten Hall but don't have much detail-wise.
"Dome'll"?

Dineen Hall (College of Law): I am not thrilled with the design, it is one big block of brick and mortar. It reminds me of similiar structures on the SUNY Buffalo north campus in Amherst. To see renderings, open link, scroll down, click "Projects", click "Institutions", then "Syracuse University College of Law".

Gluckman Mayner Architects

Campus West (Hoyt): I can only go by the rendering (if final). It is not a bad design, but I think it is lacking compared to Centennial Hall in both in warmth and character. It looks like a dorm.

Campus West – The Reel Life (http://www.campuswestsyracuse.com/photoAlbum.php?name=ArchitecturalRenderings - broken link)
SUNY-ESF: Centennial Hall

I am very impressed with the design of ESF Academic Research Building that we talked about a while back.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 02-20-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
"Dome'll"?

Dineen Hall (College of Law): I am not thrilled with the design, it is one big block of brick and mortar. It reminds me of similiar structures on the SUNY Buffalo north campus in Amherst. To see renderings, open link, scroll down, click "Projects", click "Institutions", then "Syracuse University College of Law".

Gluckman Mayner Architects

Campus West (Hoyt): I can only go by the rendering (if final). It is not a bad design, but I think it is lacking compared to Centennial Hall in both in warmth and character. It looks like a dorm.

Campus West – The Reel Life (http://www.campuswestsyracuse.com/photoAlbum.php?name=ArchitecturalRenderings - broken link)
SUNY-ESF: Centennial Hall

I am very impressed with the design of ESF Academic Research Building that we talked about a while back.
The sad thing is Campus West is selling itself as apartments - it's not a dorm. Not sure what the appeal is but not going to complain about added density over there.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The sad thing is Campus West is selling itself as apartments - it's not a dorm. Not sure what the appeal is but not going to complain about added density over there.
Ya, they are apartments. I should have been a little more clear, I was trying to say that the design makes it look like a "dorm" (to me) compared to Centennial Hall. I agree, I like the added density.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM

84 posts, read 124,967 times
The Syracuse planning commission and zoning board are now uploading all proposals onto the city website so that citizens can review them. Tomorrow's planning board agenda is up with all of the proposals available for review. Previously, only the agendas were online.
Planning Commision
On tomorrows agenda is a new PriceRite that is to be built on Erie Boulevard. The location that they're redeveloping is a very rundown old lot, so a new building will be an incredible improvement, even if it is just a big box store. Hopefully with the new construction the city will also repair that section of the road which is one of the worst sections on Erie Boulevard. I glanced over the application they submitted and they quote the new Kennedy Square redevelopment and the Connective Corrider as reasons for building. Its nice to see that these projects are already having an impact on the city.
Also they have the plans for the new Dineen Hall project. I'm a little dissapointed with the dark colors they're using for the exterior. However, the proposal states that significant roof gardens will be on the building which is a great idea.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
The Syracuse planning commission and zoning board are now uploading all proposals onto the city website so that citizens can review them. Tomorrow's planning board agenda is up with all of the proposals available for review. Previously, only the agendas were online.
Planning Commision
On tomorrows agenda is a new PriceRite that is to be built on Erie Boulevard. The location that they're redeveloping is a very rundown old lot, so a new building will be an incredible improvement, even if it is just a big box store. Hopefully with the new construction the city will also repair that section of the road which is one of the worst sections on Erie Boulevard. I glanced over the application they submitted and they quote the new Kennedy Square redevelopment and the Connective Corrider as reasons for building. Its nice to see that these projects are already having an impact on the city.
Also they have the plans for the new Dineen Hall project. I'm a little dissapointed with the dark colors they're using for the exterior. However, the proposal states that significant roof gardens will be on the building which is a great idea.
Great information, nice to see attachments posted for each item. I see the Kinney Drug Store at James and Midler is on the agenda. It is really going to improve that intersection.

I agree any development at the corner of Teall and Erie will make a huge difference. I am impressed that the applicant located the PriceRite store contiguous to the street with parking in the rear, unlike many (if not most) "big box" developments that locate parking in the front of the building. It will "fill-out" that intersection and provide for a more urban feel.

The density around the Dome is going to be amazing, i.e. Dineen Hall (I agree, I am not crazy about the colors or the design), ESF Academic Research (awesome design), Centennial Hall, Campus West, Gateway, etc.

Thx!

Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
The PriceRite is dreadful. Look again; the Erie and Teall exposures are both blank walls. The store entrance is on the northwest corner of the building, facing the parking lot. It's another anti-urban building. Like the Midler Price Chopper, only with the entrance even more removed from the sidewalk.

Nice, though, that the planning commission has upgraded its site (at the same time as the Common Council has stopped posting its agendas). Might prompt one of us to attend the next meeting.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
The PriceRite is dreadful. Look again; the Erie and Teall exposures are both blank walls. The store entrance is on the northwest corner of the building, facing the parking lot. It's another anti-urban building. Like the Midler Price Chopper, only with the entrance even more removed from the sidewalk.

Nice, though, that the planning commission has upgraded its site (at the same time as the Common Council has stopped posting its agendas). Might prompt one of us to attend the next meeting.
To be fair, it's more urban than the Mobil gas station that used to occupy the space. And that area is currently mostly a walkability nightmare with little foot traffic. Is it optimal for a design? Certainly not. But it's a fair shake better than most structures built on that end of Erie in the last few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area