Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,959 times

Advertisements

Huh, interesting! They did recently open an indoor water park at Greek Peak- Cascades Indoor Waterpark - Greek Peak Mountain Resort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr83 View Post
That is it. It looks like the plans have changed quite a bit. Good to see they haven't given up the dream.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:58 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr83 View Post
Think this might be it? I'm kind of surprised i haven't seen this pop up on syracuse.com ...ever

Maya Indoor Water Park and Resort - Syracuse, NY
The Maya Indoor is part of the Action Sports Park planned for Van Buren. I don't think this is the one posted by Becca.

Speaking of Maya, didn't the Mayan's predict the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle that is supposed to end on December 21, 2012? The web-site says construction to begin 2012 only to be destroyed by astronomical alignments...perfect timing!

Old 01-28-2012, 12:25 PM

New Armory Square welcome sign rolled out : News : CNYcentral.com

From what I can tell from my computer, I like it! As WSTM reports, it is very contemporary and bright that contrasts (positively) with the historic/eclectic atmosphere of Armory Square. My only queston is what the upper right orange circle is used for, advertising, bulletin board, events?..is it luminated at night (the whole sign for that matter)?

I am really looking forward to experiencing the Connective Corridor when it is completed. I have yet to walk the Creekwalk, but will do so next time I am up.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 01-28-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM

84 posts, read 124,967 times
I noticed today that the long vacant 444 East Genesee St. building in downtown has a sold sign on it. I also noticed that this week a number of dumpsters have been moved in and out of the parking lot behind the building with what appeared to be construction debris in it. I couldn't find any news on what is to be done to the building aside from a limited liability company being formed with the buildings address. I can only hope they do something positive with the site. I believe it was slated to be demolished for another project that fell through and honestly the building is very ugly and not worth saving. However, I would much rather a building be put in there before another parking lot is created in its place. The downtown Syracuse group still lists it as for sale, but I'm unsure if that website has been updated in a while.
Downtown Syracuse Development Showcase | Development Property Details

Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrosine View Post
I noticed today that the long vacant 444 East Genesee St. building in downtown has a sold sign on it. I also noticed that this week a number of dumpsters have been moved in and out of the parking lot behind the building with what appeared to be construction debris in it. I couldn't find any news on what is to be done to the building aside from a limited liability company being formed with the buildings address. I can only hope they do something positive with the site. I believe it was slated to be demolished for another project that fell through and honestly the building is very ugly and not worth saving. However, I would much rather a building be put in there before another parking lot is created in its place. The downtown Syracuse group still lists it as for sale, but I'm unsure if that website has been updated in a while.
Downtown Syracuse Development Showcase | Development Property Details
I found this on google, but it is from an old 2008 P-S article:

S&W Redevelopment - News -Want a Room with a View?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM

172 posts, read 847,182 times
The last I had heard, urbanplanner, that project was cancelled due to the impacts of the national recession. Rumor mill had been floating that 430 E. Genesee may still be redeveloped, and 444 E. Genesee may or may not be demolished.

Nothing about E. Genesee in front of the city's planning board...although the university is seeking preliminary approvals for a new 197,000 sq ft building. I don't follow things like I used to, but maybe you guys know something about that.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM

580 posts, read 1,174,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
The last I had heard, urbanplanner, that project was cancelled due to the impacts of the national recession. Rumor mill had been floating that 430 E. Genesee may still be redeveloped, and 444 E. Genesee may or may not be demolished.

Nothing about E. Genesee in front of the city's planning board...although the university is seeking preliminary approvals for a new 197,000 sq ft building. I don't follow things like I used to, but maybe you guys know something about that.
I think that's probably the new law building. They want to break ground this summer, so they'd probably be moving on approvals around now.

Hopefully the proposed demolition of 444 East Genesee was scrapped. It's an ugly building of limited utility, but there's no place for an empty lot at a major intersection across from an urban square. There's too much surface parking in that neighborhood as is. Perhaps the developer has a more creative repurposing in mind.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Inner Harbor to be discussed today:

Inner Harbor project to be discussed today - YNN, Your News Now

FOR THOSE WHO CAN ATTEND: The public is encouraged to attend today's meeting, which will take place at Syracuse City Hall. It begins at 10 a.m. in the Common Council Chambers on the third floor.

COMMENT: I appreciate Councilor Bey gesture and others on the council's to receive emails, but a 10 am weekday meeting is unacceptable. It is a well thought out great project (as is from my perspective), but the public needs to be heard and accomodated. True community buy-in requires a more convenient time for the public input, i.e. evening. Also, was there public notice? I get a little warm under the collar when this happens (it does happen elsewhere).

Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,622,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Inner Harbor to be discussed today:

Inner Harbor project to be discussed today - YNN, Your News Now

FOR THOSE WHO CAN ATTEND: The public is encouraged to attend today's meeting, which will take place at Syracuse City Hall. It begins at 10 a.m. in the Common Council Chambers on the third floor.

COMMENT: I appreciate Councilor Bey gesture and others on the council's to receive emails, but a 10 am weekday meeting is unacceptable. It is a well thought out great project (as is from my perspective), but the public needs to be heard and accomodated. True community buy-in requires a more convenient time for the public input, i.e. evening. Also, was there public notice? I get a little warm under the collar when this happens (it does happen elsewhere).
I'd suggest you read Khalid Bey's background for some perspective. That isn't his real name anyway. The man has written some controversial "books" that he probably printed off his home computer and belongs to the Nation of Islam. Bey has a penchant for using what he assumes to be "big words" but has trouble articulating his points which is quite obvious from the bizzare quotes in the YNN piece. The strange meeting time is probably just part of Bey's feebile attempt to attract as few taxpapers and members of the media to the meeting which will enable him to fly under the radar but still get on his soapbox. Appointing him as chair of of the Council's Economic Development Committee and as a member of the Syracuse Airport Authority was reckless considering the man has no business experience and lacks a college degree, despite spending twenty odd years floating between several colleges and taking numerous breaks in between writing controversial books and rap lyrics.

I noticed Miner's State of the State Address mentioned the COR Proposal would include "affordable" and/or "senior housing." I didn't see this language mentioned when the project was initially unveiled in December. Perhaps Khalid Bey is trying to make a name for himself and score some political points. COR has some low income housing experience with Maple Heights and a project under development in Watertown. Building subsidized senior housing at the Inner Harbor to replace the units that were converted to market rate at One Franklin Square by Anthony Fiorito last year would be a fair compromise. Any additional low income housing that is not age restricted should be flatly rejected by COR. The city is already riddled with low income housing and the blight and crime that comes with it. Adding more will only further increase the poverty rate of 32% which is already significantly higher than Syracuse's peer northeastern and midwestern cities sans Hartford. Creating a new neighborhood with upscale and modern amentities would give Syracuse one last opportunity to attract middle class and affluent folks that prefer lakefront living.

The Democrat party hacks in the city made a big mistake by effectively removing Pamela Hunter from the council and nominating Hudson and Bey. While there was much controversy on her appointment, which was riddled with politics. Hunter turned out to be a very competent and highly resourceful councilor, including managing the herculian task of resurrecting the Civilian Review Board. Perhaps she was too independent, smart and objective for a governing body that is best described a group of unsupervised adults with limited intellectual capabilities.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 02-01-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area