Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Anyone thinks the iPad's gonna kill the amazon kindle??

I just hate disruptive technology. I have already reserved an iPad with my Apple insiders. But they always say that the Gen II is always the best, so this is something I can retire to my mom or something.

I just dunno if I'll ever use the kindle again. I'm pretty sure very soon all our laptops will get ancient too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

I just hate disruptive technology. I have already reserved an iPad with my Apple insiders. But they always say that the Gen II is always the best, so this is something I can retire to my mom or something.

I just dunno if I'll ever use the kindle again. I'm pretty sure very soon all our laptops will get ancient too

LOL at "disruptive technology".

I still like my Kindle (which my daughter bought me, brand-new BTW). But as soon as I started using it I said " I wish it had.... a light, and some color".

I also thought about buying a netbook last year. Plus my cell phone is about 10 years old.

Soooo, the new iPad looks like it could fill my desire for an e-reader, plus a simple, light device for surfing the web and sending email/IMs. The only thing missing, in my mind is "voice". If Apple had included voice, thus making it a big iPhone, I'd be writing my che.....errrr I mean entering my CC number.

p.s. if this is true:

SDK Changes Open Door to VOIP Over 3G Networks... iPad Phone Calls Possible? - Mac Rumors

I can't really see any downsides ....

I do agree that I will probably wait for iPad II. Or wait til the second release and pick up the first generation for a low low low price.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,518 times
Whether the iPad kills the Kindle probably will depend on whether the Kindle's eInk is significantly easier on the eyes than the iPad's more conventional LED screen. I've never seen a Kindle in person, but I hear that eInk looks like conventional ink on paper. On the other hand, I stare at a computer screen all day at work, and I've gotten so used to it over the years that it doesn't strain my eyes any more or less than does reading old-fashioned ink-on-paper content. That being the case, I'd be more likely to buy an iPad because of the other stuff it does. But if the Kindle is a niche product (I don't know many have been sold, but I suspect it's nothing like what a typical Apple product sells), then there might be enough hard-core enthusiasts to keep it afloat -- at least until and unless Apple switches to a future iteration of something like the Pixel Qi screen, which can switch between eInk and backlit full color LED.

I'm an Apple fan, but I usually wait for the second or third generation of a product. For me, the first generation is usually, "Okay, this is kinda cool, but I don't really need one, and I can't justify spending money on it yet." The second generation is really tempting, and whether I buy depends on how much spare cash I have. By the third generation, I can't control myself any longer. I buy it, and it turns out to be something I can never live without again.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I just don't get the BIG deal about the ipad. It just doesn't appeal to me, its like a big i phone.

I'm not a apple user, so it may just be me. Usually apple comes out with the new idea. To me, this isn't a new idea, apples just making one for themselves.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
I'm an Apple person and a Kindle person.

To me, the iPad is large iPod Touch on which you can read books in addition to doing a lot of other things. I love my Kindle and don't really see the iPad as a substitute for that.

The greyscale screen and no backlight features of the Kindle may seem like old fashioned, low-tech, but the idea of the Kindle was to mimic the experience of reading a real book. It really does that. You get enveloped by the content and not flashy colors, backlights or what have you. I can read for hours on the Kindle; on a laptop, my eyes get tired pretty quickly and I wonder if that will happen on the iPad.

That being said, the bookreader on the iPad looks really nice and those who want the color and backlight will be very happy with that. I don't see it as a killer of the Kindle. I see it as just another device that's capable of reading books and the more the merrier. The more readers out there, the more willing publishers will be to offer books.

I just hope that at some point some standard is developed so all readers can view all books no matter where you buy them. Proprietary formats are a pain if a particular book you want is only available for Barnes and Noble's Nook and you have a Kindle or a Sony reader.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I just don't get the BIG deal about the ipad. It just doesn't appeal to me, its like a big i phone.

I'm not a apple user, so it may just be me. Usually apple comes out with the new idea. To me, this isn't a new idea, apples just making one for themselves.
Apple's genius is in waiting until a new technology matures to a certain point, and they they put a great new spin on it, and leave it open for future developments. When the iPod came out, it was "just" another MP3 player, but with the benefits of a big hard drive and an intuitive interface. A lot of people predicted it would fail. I wanted one, but didn't want to fork out the $500 or whatever the top-of-the line model cost at the time. But then they added the iTunes store, and increased the hard drive to a size that would hold my entire music collection, and dropped the price, so I bought one (3G). When that one finally died, I was grateful for the new features of the 5G: full-color photos and video. I still have that one.

Similarly with the iPhone: I thought it was cool when it came out, but my wife and I only used our cell phones (the cheapest Nokia model) to keep in touch with our family. We didn't care about custom ring tones and such. But then the App Store came out, along with GPS and other fnew eatures. Those, combined with the PDA features and web connectivity, finally made the iPhone a must-have for us.

I assume the same will be true for the iPad. Presumably they'll add a camera, multitasking, and other new features. In two and a half years, we'll probably see 256 GB flash RAM on the high-end model. People will come up with new apps that do things I don't even know I need yet. Some have said that it could make a great customizable control surface for Logic, Final Cut Pro, or other programs running on the main computer. I'd like to see Wacom compatibility -- it could make a great portable sketch pad for artists. (I'm anxious to see what kind of control you can get with your fingertip using Brushes, the art app they demoed). Eventually, I see an iMac and an iPad being a great combination, making a laptop unnecessary for many people.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
First off, I think it's way too expensive to compete seriously with the Kindle as an e-reader. If someone who already wants the PAD and is also inspired to use it as an e-reader, that's another matter.

Second, I think the display on the Kindle is okay, although it could be better. I wouldn't mind seeing it a little bigger and possibly clearer/lighter. Color is appealing, but I virtually never read a book published in color, so I don't consider it much of a loss--or I would consider the tradeoff for battery life worth it.

Third, in addition to thinking that e-readers need to get better before considering buying one (and I'd love to have one), I may be like many people who are waiting for the format standard to be resolved before buying one. I don't want to wind up with a Betamax e-reader.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
LOL at "disruptive technology".
My professor used that in engineering school. It sounded nice back then too.

In the late nineties, when Nokia and the like were ruling the world with their 2G mobile phones....... would these grasshoppers even have imagined wildly that some popular computer maker will put them out of frontline business??

That is disruptive technology.

The iPhone categorically put their mp3 players, mobile phones and the like into the coffin. Nobody wants to even house them in museums anymore.

I had one semester full of mobile communications with all sort of code and time division multiplexing, the GSM stuff and now I feel illiterate with 3G. I can draw a field effect transistor circuit on paper right now, that's about it. I'm over the hills

Old 01-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I had one semester full of mobile communications with all sort of code and time division multiplexing, the GSM stuff and now I feel illiterate with 3G. I can draw a field effect transistor circuit on paper right now, that's about it. I'm over the hills
See the hills in the distance in front of you? I'm over those! In the late 1980s and early 1990s, I worked for the Hayes modem company, based primarily on a couple of data-communicatons classes I took in engineering school. I can still remember that a Smith chart is round, that you use imaginary numbers in capacitance equations, and that you surrounded data packets with start and stop bytes. Beyond that... not much. I've been out of the high-tech industry for a long time.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:

It will kill it, but at the same time it will open the market to the competition. The bottom line is that all of this competition will benefit the consumers. The competition will have to try to outdo Apple. For example, Google has a "super iPhone-like" cell phone. Right now it costs around $500.00, but once other companies try to outdo both, lower prices will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets