Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That will never happen I can't believe there is even a debate.
Its already happened in a sense. If we go back in time to 25 years ago we will find computers that were RAM and ROM based. They had their own OS's and no hard drives. ROM ran the programs and RAM was the space it ran on. Back then a floppy disk was for storage as a thumb drive is now. An Ipad is a computer in a sense, but programs are now called apps (and of course you do do know apps means applications and applications are what - Programs).

Look up SSD, their capacities are growing exponentially and their prices per GB are coming down.

The nay sayers said the same thing about cell phones. 25 years ago a portable phone weighed 14 pounds. And now we cant live without one.

Apple has laid the foundation for the future. And just in case you dont believe it, scan your harddrives for a the GUI that is in every PC and its made by Apple (the Apple icon actually comes up).

Apple may not be on the forefront of creating new technology but they are the first for many things we take for granted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_(computing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

719 posts, read 1,554,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Actually if I could get MS Office on my IPad and add thumb drive accessability, I'd stop carrying my notebook. If you took out the gaming aspect it could replace a windows based pc. Think about it. Its instantly on. You tap an icon and it instantly connects. The only thing you need to learn is hand motions.
If you work for a company that uses Citrix software for publishing corporate apps, you can run MS Office, IE, PDF, whatever you want. I have used it on my iPad and it works awesome.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
About two years ago I bought my wife a netbook, an Acer Aspire One, for Christmas. With two little kids and one on the way, it was hard for my wife to dedicate time to sitting down at the desktop to check her e-mail, Facebook, etc. The little netbook served its purpose and she could easily sit anywhere in the house or out in the backyard and do what she needed to do. I see an iPad as a more elegant device that can replace a device that is being used for the reasons I stated above. I would actually consider buying my wife an iPad, but am waiting to see where the tablet market is headed.

So, I don't see them ever replacing a "real" computer in the home. However, they could easily replace netbooks and laptops for the casual user.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
It will never replace my desktop computer since I like to play games that require a dedicated video card and a sizable monitor. However, I do plan to eventually replace my aging laptop with a tablet as I only use it for browsing the internet and email.

I can see a tablet computer as being sufficient for many casual users.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,716 times
for personal use or business applications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets