Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM

439 posts, read 1,749,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Say WHAT? Tallahassee is one of the most liberal cities in Florida. It is one of the Democratic party's strongholds in Northern Florida. If you look at the red/blue map from the last few elections...Tallahassee is a blue dot sitting in a wide red area....
I was thinking the same exact thing. But I think the higher liberal population is somewhat directly related to the colleges.

And I think it's one of the only democratic strongholds in N. Florida. The other one would possibly be Jacksonville--and that's a stretch!

My sister has lived in Tallahassee since 2002. Once she's done with school, she's looking to leave. I think she decided a long time ago that it wasn't the place for her. She toyed with the idea of moving back to S. Florida but I told her don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
Tallahassee winters is too cold for me. It gets freezing up there.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
[quote=kit_kat;3615021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Just this week the house voted to essentially permit teachers to discuss intelligent design in science classes. This is a religious matter which should not enter science and this sort of thing is damaging the education of Florida's young people. I find this very upsetting. I also teach and on many occasions students have commented to me that they don't believe in evolution.
I also find that upsetting!

But what does that have to do with the City of Tallahassee or its school board?

Evolution is and has been taught in public schools here...the people pushing that bill were not from Tallahassee, but NE Florida and Valrico, near Tampa (Rhonda Storms, etc.).

Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
All i have to say is come here and see for yourself. you won't be disappointed.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
F$U is there

Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 33,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
All i have to say is come here and see for yourself. you won't be disappointed.
Hmm...I'm here...I'm seeing...I'm not very satisfied. It's a college town with college mentality. The adults act like college kids, the drivers are always in a hurry (tailgating drivers is fun to them and going 20 over the speed limit is common - I don't get it ). I see cops (sheriff's if you will) but they're never doing anything but driving around. You'll really freak out on your first few weeks because if you've even been to Florida, you'll quickly become disappointed. It isn't Florida...it's Georgia.

If you move here, enjoy the sun, the cool winter weather, stay away from Walmart and the FSU area and you just may survive the Tallahassee area for a few years.

And here come the angry masses on why Tallahassee is everything I just told you it isn't....do research and visit the place...you'll see I'm right.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 46,068 times
Default May Move....

Hi. My mom and I may move to Tally area but unknown when yet (for financial reasons). I mainly want to go to FSU as they have a program there that I want to do (working/teaching blind kids degree program). However, we need to rent (with three cats and a dog) for no more than about $1500/month. My mom is a LPN and we currently live in southern NJ but we heard that LPNs make less salary/money in FL than in NJ (so we may need to pay less than $1500/month depending on her salary and stuff). Also I don't drive and need to rely on public transportation. So I worry about that and am worried about how safe it is to travel on bus and walk in the streets by myself and stuff. My mom and I LOVE the country too, but we need the public transportation. Are there any places to rent that are in the country and are within walking distance to bus stops???? I do have a friend that lives in Monticello, FL but don't know much about the area. She said it's mosty trailers (guess she means mobile homes) in that area and she said it's low income. We don't have any kids so don't need to worry about schools. If anyone has any more info they can give me, I'd greatly appreciate it. You can email me at ladyhal@yahoo.com (in case it doesn't show up ladyhal at yahoo dot com). Thanks in advance.
Heidi

Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Dude, you shouldnt have any problems, we need nurses here, and the cost of living is definately lower than new jersey.. We have a city bus system called Star Metro that you could ride..

Come on down

Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
phy

34 posts, read 150,703 times
I moved here from Georgia--Had a dream home on the market for 275,100 which would be 450,000 are above here. Most of the Northwest Tallahassee home are old and not energy efficient. Also, we've been told they do not reevualate property here. So if you go out and buy the exact same house as a neighbor which has lived here 10-20 years your taxes may be 3-7 times higher.
Cannot find a home to rent least than 1200-2000 dollars a month.
Utilities are high.
Traffic is awful.
Some friendly people, some not at all especially the Walmart on Tennessee St.
Enough said, if it wasn't for my husband's job, I certainly will be back in Milledgeville, Ga.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,293 times
I've been around the state. I lived in Orlando and my sister used to live in Tampa. One problem is the young professional dating scene is very incestuest. It is a pretty small pool and after awhile, you know someone who is friends with, or dated that person. It can work in your favor, seeing as you can know a little about someone before you date them.
Because of the Universities, and the young age here, we do get more than our fair share of shows coming to town. The bad part is they are usually on a weekday night as the bands are driving through to bigger cities.
If you like college sports, this is the place to be. Between football, baseball, and basketball, there is a lot to do. You can spend nearly all year tailgating for something or another. But if college sports don't do it for you, and you like the Pro's, you're SOL. Jax is over 2 hours away, with Tampa, Orlando, and Atlanta all about 4 hours away.
The resturants are hit and miss. I wouldn't plan on going out for breakfast on the weekends, as the wait time can get crazy. We don't have a Dennys anymore, with still seems weird to me. (same as not having any 7-11's)
I rarely have problems with trafiic. Growing up in Orlando and having worked in ATL for a few months makes the problems we do have seem downright quaint. Barring an accident, the traffic is always at the same places at the same times. Changing the time you leave your house by as little as 5 minutes you can hardly hit traffic at all.
I'm not a fan of the Killern area. To me it is the suburbs. There are plenty of nice places right in town, lined with Live Oaks, that are superior. I've lived in the Midtown area for over 5 years now after living on the 'college side' (westside). It is in walking distance of many resturants and bars and a cheap cab ride to most everything else.
We have as much of the 4 seasons as anywhere in Florida, so it is kinda nice. But in the summers, it tends to be hotter than the places farther south because we don't get the winds across the pennisula. The beach is pretty far, having to drive about 2 hours to get to St. George Island in the gulf of Mexico. While the coast is being built up, it looks nothing like the east coast with their condos and hotels on the water. But we have a spring and it is worth putting up with the summers for. There is nothing better than grilling out a few hours before a FSU basball game in perfect weather. Every year, I find myself in a moment of reflection on how great everything is.
You can drive from one side of town to the other in about twenty minutes. Which is good, because there is only one of a lot of things (Olive Garden, full mall, Best Buy) .
There is a lot more museums, art, and culture here than most cities this size. The Education levels are higher than a lot of place because of the Unis, and the capitol being here. It can cost less to live here, but pay can also reflect that. The bigger the city, the more money, but the higher the cost of living. Menial jobs are near min. wage because there are so many college kids to refull the postions. I've seen problems with the trades because a town this size needs only so many plumbers and tile setters that it drives down the wage. Again, it seems to work out in the end of the month after the bills have been paid.
-personal note- The trash service has declined in recent years. They don't come and get the cans to bring them down to the street anymore and have gotten pickier about the bulk trash (water heaters, shingles and whatnot) they want to pick up. Then I go home to see my parents down in Orlando and become greatful how good the trash service is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee