Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
closing down hospitality program in the state of FL is a big deal

also...

The 21 programs include:
Anthropology
Apparel Design
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
Geological Sciences
Molecular Biophysics
Oceanography
Hospitality and Golf Management
Physical Education
Science Education (in the College of Education)
Geography
Behavioral Psychology
Software Engineering
Art Education
Ceramics
Sculpture
Studio Art
Recreational Management
German
Slavic Languages
Demography
Art Administration

I'd say that is quite profound. I had considered doing an International Affairs masters there with both geo/anthro at the core... so it is possible I would have been effected had I stayed, we will see though. I also know several people in the psych program..it is fairly big. If shut down, a lot of these are interdisciplinary and were part of classes you could take for other majors, so like I said before... many are down to just core basic majors with less specialization it seems. Which if they do this, and want to call themselves a tier 1 uni, probably not a good thing.

International Affairs program at Florida State University | Graduate Program - Graduate Approved Course List (http://www.coss.fsu.edu/inaprog/students/gcourselist.html - broken link)
bye bye...

You act as if the Legislature gave them a choice or something.

This is not FSU's fault. We have the worst Legislature in Florida history screwing up every public program in the state right now.

Thanks a bunch, Republitards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
You act as if the Legislature gave them a choice or something.

This is not FSU's fault. We have the worst Legislature in Florida history screwing up every public program in the state right now.

Thanks a bunch, Republitards.
lol wasn't trying to come off saying like that, I am PRO fsu, I went there, but being real here... it sucks what might happen, thus the warning to somebody potentially going here for a grad program which is usually 4-7 years. Yeah FL went dem last election, but the house and senate are filled with republicans.

Did you see the paper headlines today? ARMAGEDDON!

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...33/1010/news01

Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol wasn't trying to come off saying like that, I am PRO fsu, I went there, but being real here... it sucks what might happen, thus the warning to somebody potentially going here for a grad program which is usually 4-7 years. Yeah FL went dem last election, but the house and senate are filled with republicans.

Did you see the paper headlines today? ARMAGEDDON!

House proposal would slash $95M from FSU, FAMU combined | tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat

Unfortunately I just came back from the Capitol and not in the best mood.

Those idiots are not going to get a budget together by Tuesday and we are looking at an extended session.

More time for them to screw up more stuff.

WORST
LEGISLATURE
EVER

Old 04-24-2009, 01:09 PM

58 posts, read 199,626 times
Ok now. Y'all are scaring me with all of this talk about program closures. If I decide to do my grad studies at FSU, I would like to be able to finish there. I have children so, I can't just pick up and move somewhere else to continue with my studies.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSvirgo View Post
Ok now. Y'all are scaring me with all of this talk about program closures. If I decide to do my grad studies at FSU, I would like to be able to finish there. I have children so, I can't just pick up and move somewhere else to continue with my studies.
It's all up in the air currently for every state university. I'd just keep checking the Tally paper daily.

tallahassee.com | Tallahassee Democrat | Tallahassee news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Tallahassee, FL

Old 04-24-2009, 04:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSvirgo View Post
Yeah it isn't to scare the crap out of you or anything, just to be AWARE that this is going on in Florida right now. You can do your own research on particular departments/funding you are interested in and then go from there. Yeah this is news NOW for a lot of it but my advisor I was working with had been mentioning this back in February saying they didn't know what classes were going to be offered for summer and fall and they were keeping their fingers crossed.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 PM

20 posts, read 88,487 times
Prettiness: Tallahassee is a very green place to live. Tallahassee is larger than lots of Florida cities and therefore has more green, and is famous for the large number of green spaces and parks. Tallahassee is also (lately) good about not permitting too many billboards, strip malls, etc., and the architecture tends to be red brick Southern gothic. Both towns have their not-so-nice areas. If I had to point out the significant difference, other than size, it would be that Tallahassee has hills, which add something to the scenery that you don't get in Gainesville.

Safeness: Tallahassee has had it's share of campus threats, sadly. My impression was that it was relatively safe around campus though. I wish I could say the same for UF/Gainesville, but the campus here is not in the best part of town. Again, size makes a difference. I live in a community on the northeast side of Tallahaseee, and crime is so low here that people often forget to lock their doors.

Family-friendly: Tallahassee wins this by knockout, I think. Gainesville for instance is pretty much 100% a college town, with all that entails. Tallahassee has a lot more going on that has nothing to do with FSU or FAMU, and I find it a very kid-friendly place. College-student stuff is pretty much restricted to a specific area in Tallahassee.

Walkable: Tallahassee does have a nice downtown these days, and they continue to improve and add to it. They also have lots of markets and festivals and that sort of thing downtown.

Charming: I'd say Tallahassee is very charming, in the nice areas.

Downtown: Tallahassee by far has a nicer downtown than lots of Florida Cities, but this may also be a function of size (tallahassee is much bigger than places such as Hialeah , Pensacola , Panama City , Gainesville , Ocala).

Schools: Tallahassee = AMAZING SCHOOLS - PUBLIC AND PRIVATE

Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM

58 posts, read 199,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeMan View Post
Prettiness: Tallahassee is a very green place to live. Tallahassee is larger than lots of Florida cities and therefore has more green, and is famous for the large number of green spaces and parks. Tallahassee is also (lately) good about not permitting too many billboards, strip malls, etc., and the architecture tends to be red brick Southern gothic. Both towns have their not-so-nice areas. If I had to point out the significant difference, other than size, it would be that Tallahassee has hills, which add something to the scenery that you don't get in Gainesville.

Safeness: Tallahassee has had it's share of campus threats, sadly. My impression was that it was relatively safe around campus though. I wish I could say the same for UF/Gainesville, but the campus here is not in the best part of town. Again, size makes a difference. I live in a community on the northeast side of Tallahaseee, and crime is so low here that people often forget to lock their doors.

Family-friendly: Tallahassee wins this by knockout, I think. Gainesville for instance is pretty much 100% a college town, with all that entails. Tallahassee has a lot more going on that has nothing to do with FSU or FAMU, and I find it a very kid-friendly place. College-student stuff is pretty much restricted to a specific area in Tallahassee.

Walkable: Tallahassee does have a nice downtown these days, and they continue to improve and add to it. They also have lots of markets and festivals and that sort of thing downtown.

Charming: I'd say Tallahassee is very charming, in the nice areas.

Downtown: Tallahassee by far has a nicer downtown than lots of Florida Cities, but this may also be a function of size (tallahassee is much bigger than places such as Hialeah , Pensacola , Panama City , Gainesville , Ocala).

Schools: Tallahassee = AMAZING SCHOOLS - PUBLIC AND PRIVATE
Thanks for that information. Tallahassee sounds quite lovely. I had a friend to graduate from FAMU and said that he loved the time that he spent there. I've been to Pensacola and Orlando and both were pretty nice. I must put Tallahassee on my list to visit before I make any decision on where I'm going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee