Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 05:21 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,828 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Syracuse for the past six months, and I've hit one of the worst streaks of bad luck of my life: I've been out of work for the past two months, and as a result I'm being evicted from my apartment, and I've managed to stave off having my car repossessed. I am moving to Tallahassee since I have family there; if I like it there, great, if not, I'll likely look at Tampa or Jacksonville once the economy begins to recover (I wish I would've known CNY is almost as bad as Detroit right now).

My question is I am a 31-year-old single male with an MBA. Will I like Tallahassee? I've been there visiting family, but I've never got to experience the area. I like to have a good time and meet new people, so will I be able to do these things there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Tallahassee is a great town. Beautiful trees and buildings, rolling hills, and great weather.

It's probably not ideal for a 31-year old single guy (more geared toward college students and families), but if I were you, I would be much more concerned about finding work than having a good time and meeting people.

It might be good for you to spend some time there to get back on your feet, but it's not the best market for an MBA looking for work, since MBA's are a dime a dozen in a college town. You might be able to find a job with the state though if you look hard enough.

Again, your #1 priority should be finding work, not having a good time.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
An MBA will not guarantee you employment here...although unemployment is better here than just about anywhere else in the state, thanks to the state government and associated services.

IF you lined up a job, you would find Tallahassee quite nice...especially if you are a heterosexual male.
This place is full of attractive females whose college romance/first marriage didn't work out.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,828 times
Thank you, Strel. That's a really good take on it. I've been there before, so it's not like I'm coming in cold.

As far as MBA guaranteeing employment, I know that is definitely not the case. I found my degree can both help and hurt me (at least up here in CNY). On the one hand, it's a great degree to have, but at the same time it can make potential employers see me as overqualified or fear that I am going to leave quickly. I've been looking for work for the past two months, and for certain jobs I purposely omitted any mention of my MBA; problem is my experience suggests some type of advanced education. I think once I get down there I'm going to meet with a career counselor; I know what I want to do (marketing and/or customer operations), but I could use some direction.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
^^ I lived in Tally, while I went to college, so a little different than when you are there at 31. I loved it! I have friends (all male actually) there now, close to your age and they all love it! So you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee