Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshopsalot View Post
I know it;s too far for you, but we go to Plant City's Farmers Market and buy where the restaurants and fruit stands buy. It's not all local, but a lot is.

I am in a group of 12 families. We each pitch in 15$ every other week. We take turns going to the market and pciking up as much as we can buy.

We go home and sort it into labels laundry baskets and members come pick it up. This works really great for us. Sometimes those baskets are so heavy I can hardly lift them!!

Now, if we could just go organic - I would be in heaven.
Try a CSA, which stands for Community Supported Agriculture. CSAs are awesome and are a great way to get local organic produce and support small local farms. The premise is people buy equally divided shares of a farm's harvest each year. There is a weekly pick-up of product during the season, in Florida usually October through May. There is usually an upfront charge for all of the weeks (about $500), though some allow for shorter periods of time. One can also split a share with someone else and pay half. Steed Farms in Plant City has a CSA which produces all organic. LocalHarvest - CSA Details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
gypsychic - Thank you so much!!

I found
Organic Black Angus & Prime Wagyu Beef, and Organic Pork!!!!

I'm already in a veggies and fruit buying co-op, unfortunately it is not organic. Hopefully I can get them into the meat. If not I'll look on here or Craigs List to start one.

Buying meat by the whole pig or half a beef just makes sense - the prices are really not that much more than store prices. I'll have to drive to the farm to get it, but wow - it does not get any fresher than that!!

Anyone interested?
Once again, I would recommend checking out Local Harvest. (I don't work for them, lol!). It's just an excellent source for locating locally produced, organic items.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:19 PM

26 posts, read 91,892 times
Kyle,

Thanks - I have contacted the place in Dover, he is just starting up, and I am very interested in supporting someone like him especially being so close to us.

My dillema is in our fruit and veggie co-op, we simply split up everything into baskets equally and take it home. How will I split up equally a half or whole beef? And then there will be those who only want certain parts. Obviously, some cuts are more expensive than others. So, I am trying to figure this out. So far I have 4 families willing to do this with me and hoping for more.
Thanks again, you folks are a wealth of information!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Well, after reading this thread and the one on the Sarasota forum, I am getting myself a freezer and ordering from these folks:

THE DAM RANCH

You only have to order 1/8 section from them. I just placed an order, but not confirmed yet. Beef will be ready in September!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,897,666 times
How about somebody to split this half or whole beef equally among all of you? The more expensive cuts could be divided in diff turns for each and everyone of you, every time, but somebody has to be in charge of that.
On the other side I do know somebody who buys local pork and butchers it at home and smokes it and sells it. Guess he could sell it to you without the smoked process. Private message me if you would be interested.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, after reading this thread and the one on the Sarasota forum, I am getting myself a freezer and ordering from these folks:

THE DAM RANCH

You only have to order 1/8 section from them. I just placed an order, but not confirmed yet. Beef will be ready in September!
It looks great, though are their cows grass-fed? I don't see any mention of on their website.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Kyle,

Thanks - I have contacted the place in Dover, he is just starting up, and I am very interested in supporting someone like him especially being so close to us.

My dillema is in our fruit and veggie co-op, we simply split up everything into baskets equally and take it home. How will I split up equally a half or whole beef? And then there will be those who only want certain parts. Obviously, some cuts are more expensive than others. So, I am trying to figure this out. So far I have 4 families willing to do this with me and hoping for more.
Thanks again, you folks are a wealth of information!!!
Glad the place in Dover worked out. It's rewarding to be able to support a small farmer while doing something better for yourself. In terms of the beef, as Annie pointed out, I too would suggest simply splitting the yield. You can divide up the various cuts and perhaps determine maybe someone wants all of the short ribs but not t-bone steak, etc. It won't be an exact science but you can also tweak the cost ratio if someone winds up with more steak than ground beef.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
How about somebody to split this half or whole beef equally among all of you? The more expensive cuts could be divided in diff turns for each and everyone of you, every time, but somebody has to be in charge of that.
On the other side I do know somebody who buys local pork and butchers it at home and smokes it and sells it. Guess he could sell it to you without the smoked process. Private message me if you would be interested.
ooo, Annie do tell! Love Pork!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:25 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It looks great, though are their cows grass-fed? I don't see any mention of on their website.
Yes, it is mentioned, you probably just overlooked it. You have to click on the "beef" link, and they tell you all about it. They are unofficially organic (no certification) - raised all natural and grass-fed. I talked to the guy, too. This is also the best price I found. Can't wait to try it!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, it is mentioned, you probably just overlooked it. You have to click on the "beef" link, and they tell you all about it. They are unofficially organic (no certification) - raised all natural and grass-fed. I talked to the guy, too. This is also the best price I found. Can't wait to try it!
Awesome, can't wait to hear about it. I look forward to it myself once I'm permanently settled there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay