Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 PM

11 posts, read 38,226 times

Advertisements

Well - it looks like Tampa area may be a move for us. My husband's job will hopefully be at Tampa General Hospital

Our big concern is safety and schools. We have four children - ranging from 4 to 10 - with the 10 year old having high functioning autism - but in a regular school and regular class- so we are looking for a good school district.

Plus - we are coming from a major hick town in northern Michigan - so we would prefer more country life - hick like - with a drive of one hour or less for my husband to get to work. We looked at Plant City - but the crime looks terrible - worse than Tampa according to the calculator we used (our current town only has 500 people in it so there is no crime here)

Initially we would like to rent a four bedroom house - hoping for $1500 or less per month - and eventually we would like to purchase an old home with lots of character for $150-200k. We love homes in historic districts and aren't afraid of putting a little work into a home.

Are there any smaller towns around Tampa that fit this? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Florida is horrible for Autistic children...unless you can fork over $15,000+ a year for private schools! which you won't find in small towns.

I suggest reading through this threads...
//www.city-data.com/forum/special-needs-children/

Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
The programing for children with Autism in Pinellas county is fabulous, imo. I also have a high-functioning son with Autism. However, you will not find anything in Pinellas as far as tiny towns. You might like Dunedin or Oldsmar, but that's going to be quite a commute for your husband.

I don't know anything about the schools in other areas. I do know that most every state subsection on this website has people saying that the schools are horrible for special needs children, so that's something you'll have to look at and decide for yourself.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
[quote=Maggi07;16583539]The programing for children with Autism in Pinellas county is fabulous, imo. I also have a high-functioning son with Autism. However, you will not find anything in Pinellas as far as tiny towns. You might like Dunedin or Oldsmar, but that's going to be quite a commute for your husband. /QUOTE]

I agree with Maggi.

Oldsmar has the feeling of a smaller town. City of Oldsmar, FL - About Oldsmar

Oldsmar residents (a vast majority) attend East Lake High School which overall is the best high school in the metro area. East Lake High School

Oldsmar wouldn't be so bad of a commute (relative to most in the area). It's 21 miles and in "normal" traffic around 40 minutes, and in dead-on rush hour around an hour. I know many hospital positions are on shifts (7-3, 3-11, etc.) so perhaps your husband wouldn't be stuck in the usual morning/evening rush hour traffic. Bear in mind any smaller town is going to be of a similar (or longer) distance from the hospital.

Good luck!

**** (EDIT) Unfortunately, in terms of finding older historic homes to renovate in that price range (as well as being in a small town) you'd be looking at interior areas of the state quite far (2 hours or so) from the hospital, and completely lacking in quality educational opportunities.

Last edited by kyle19125; 11-09-2010 at 05:33 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
Plant City is safe...not sure why stats would say otherwise, but that area is fine as far as crime.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM

11 posts, read 38,226 times
Hmmm - I know Sperlings best places rated plant city close to Detroit as far as safety - looked like a cute city so I was kind of shocked - may it wasn't accurate. Thanks for all your comments - some of those northern communities look nice - plus the photos of Tampa make it look beautiful! And the thought of not having to drive in blizzards sounds wonderful!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Plant City is safe...not sure why stats would say otherwise, but that area is fine as far as crime.
I agree with this ^^^. It's just a little country town for the most part. Every place has some crime, you can't go by some dry statistics you read. Take a look, anyway, there are definitely nice, safe parts.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 AM

125 posts, read 504,966 times
Trinity area would be good. I think the Autistic program for Pasco is great. He can jump on the express to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay