Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,196 times

Advertisements

By IRA KAUFMAN | The Tampa Tribune
Published: December 17, 2010
Updated: 03:38 am

TAMPA - The calendar decrees that the NFL's regular season ends Jan. 2, but there's little regular about the 2010 Buccaneers. And they have every intention of playing well into January, if not February.

The league's youngest team was coming off a 3-13 season when training camp opened in August, with the Bucs predictably listed among the league's 100-1 long shots to reach the Super Bowl.

Those odds have shriveled throughout Tampa Bay's 8-5 start, including a 5-0 mark in games decided by three points or fewer.

"We're becoming impossible to ignore," Coach Raheem Morris said Thursday.

A favorable closing schedule has the Bucs poised to make a serious playoff run, beginning with Sunday's home matchup against the 3-10 Lions, who have lost an NFL-record 26 consecutive road games.

If the Bucs get past Detroit, the next test will be Seattle (6-7) for what almost assuredly will be Tampa Bay's final home game of the 2010 season.
"It feels good to be 8-5, but like our offensive line coach (Pete Mangurian) says, nobody is going to help us at all getting to the playoffs," said left tackle Donald Penn. "We've got to take it week by week, game by game, and that's what we've done a great job of this season. I think the Jets got ahead of themselves, losing two in a row. That's one thing I like about us — we're a humble team."

Tampa Bay hasn't lost to a club with a losing record all season, and by the time the Bucs enter the Louisiana Superdome on Jan. 2, the Saints could be locked into the No. 5 playoff seed in the NFC.

If that's the case, don't expect Drew Brees under center for New Orleans when the Bucs visit.

And should the Bucs improve by eight wins and finish 11-5, the odds are prohibitive Tampa Bay would qualify for the playoffs for the first time since the 2007 season.

"The reality of it is, we're not in the playoffs right now," said defensive end Stylez G. White. "Coach Morris does a good job of keeping us focused and we have to look out for the Lions Sunday. They held Green Bay to three points last week and they're coming to Tampa to win a game, whether they're going to the playoffs or not."

Even if the Bucs lose to the Saints, they would have a decent shot at the playoffs at 10-6.

The fading Packers are likely to drop to 8-6 Sunday night at New England, where Tom Brady simply doesn't lose. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is recovering from a concussion, and Green Bay's final two games are against the Giants and Bears, both 9-4.

If the Packers falter, Tampa Bay could be left battling the NFC East runner-up for the final spot.

The loser of Sunday's Giants-Eagles matchup will be 9-5, but the closing schedule doesn't appear particularly formidable for either club; the Giants face the Packers and Redskins on the road in the last two weeks while Philadelphia plays Minnesota and Dallas, both at home.

"I'm a firm believer of controlling your own destiny," Morris said. "I kind of prefer to go out there and do it our way. Don't let injuries, don't let distractions slip in the way and become an excuse."

All the injury-ravaged Bucs want is a chance to showcase their grit on a national stage in the playoffs. Among NFC clubs, only the Bucs, Lions and 49ers have failed to win a playoff game since the 2003 season.

"At our team meeting yesterday, we talked about how once you get in the show, anybody has a chance," said Bucs tight end John Gilmore.

When Morris first mentioned a "Race to 10" as Tampa Bay's goal, he didn't know for sure that a determined group of players would be poised four months later to make it a reality.

"These guys have played hard and practiced hard and it's paid off," Morris said. "They're sitting at the point where they're 8-5 and they're racing to 10 … maybe even more."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
They're poised for a letdown, imo. Of course, I predicted my team to go 2-14m, so what do I know?

I'll be out the this weekend. Sunny weather, 60+ degrees, blue skies. Looking forward to it. Detroit is a tough team, despite their record. Good weapons. Bucs are decimated w/ injuries that may finally catch up to them. We'll see.

If they do make it in the playoffs, it may be ugly (with a loss).

Once again, what do I know?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
I am very excited about the Bucs. But I just can't see them winning in the playoffs with all the injuries. They have a good chance of not even making the playoffs. We are still in the hunt, but there are other teams ahead of us.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I am very excited about the Bucs. But I just can't see them winning in the playoffs with all the injuries. They have a good chance of not even making the playoffs. We are still in the hunt, but there are other teams ahead of us.
I cant see them winning... at the rate they are going, all of their players will be in jail before the playoffs.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I cant see them winning... at the rate they are going, all of their players will be in jail before the playoffs.
Ha, good one

Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times
Bucs have done great this year, they may squeak into the playoffs, we'll see. They have several key injuries which is definitely not helping them. Freeman has done a good job calling out his teammates that have been getting in trouble over stupid things.... true sign of a leader right there.

I should be attending the Seahawks game, which will be interesting. Rooting against my old team with my new team. Should be fun. Bucs are fun to watch and always have interesting 4th quarters.

If they could get their O-Line together and get their secondary in check they would be very strong. Freeman could also use a top tier receiver to spread the opponents secondary.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
With Philly and the Giants looking like they will each go 2-1 over the last 3 and the Bucs having to play NO at NO the last game of the season with the Saints looking to lock up their spot I really don't see them making it in.
I will admit they did much better this year than I expected but they did have a pretty easy schedule. The teams they have beat have an average of about 3.5 wins each.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
We're pretty fortunate to have a team still in the playoff hunt almost the end of December. I remember that by the end of September last season, we were pretty much though (didn't win our first game until the 8th game last season). I didn't give this team a chance. Predicted 2-14. If you looked at how skiddish Raheem is/was, how inexperienced both he and Olson were (first full year at DC and OC), how bad our RBs were (no Blount yet), how inexperienced our WRs and DL were, and how bad our LB crew was, you can see why 2-14 was my prediction.

And I STILL don't have confidence in the team going forward- I've seen teams benefit from an easier strength of schedule and do what the Bucs are doing then stink it up the following year.

I guess I should just enjoy the season and let the chips fall where they may.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,619 times
How many winning teams have the bucs beaten this year... Detroit tommorrow...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:34 AM

26 posts, read 46,918 times
I think they make the playoffs. They should spank the Lions today and the Seahawks next week. Last game against the Saints, they can steal that one. 11-5, they're in. 10-6 they may need help. The Saints game could be a big one, especially after the Ravens slaughter them today. I'm in the fantasy football playoffs and hoping for a HUGE running attack and TDs from Blount today. Of course I'll have to figure out how to illegally watch the game on the internet or just deal with Redzone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay