Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM

94 posts, read 155,107 times

Advertisements

MAGGIO7,

Thanks for the link

Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,074 times
My husband and I just moved to Old Southeast!! We spent a year looking, visiting the neighborhood, hanging at Lassing Park.......We bought a 1945 Bungalow for $60,000!! I have to admit, buying a short sale house was a very stressful process.....but thank God it's over and we are here! We LOVE it here!! The best of both worlds....urban living within a beautiful old established neighborhood.....I moved here from out of state (Louisiana)and I have lived in urban, rural, and mid-size cities all over the place, so I had no preconceptions of South St Petersburg.....but my husband did!! he was a Tampa man and remembers the riots of 1996......so I had some convincing to do.....he loves our neighborhood now ......we are not blind to the crime and we are careful but not paranoid.....we are in our mid 50's empty nesters love to ride our bikes and walk......If you want an awesome neighborhood close to downtown and the water Old southeast is awesome!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 PM

I think that the ROBBERS from the south side ROB out side of there HOOD,

We just spent 10 days in a rental car looking for the winter home between North St Pete and Fort Myers
Although Ft Myers is cheaper that St Pete we just feel like the south side St Pete is home. (If interested read my earlier post) Old south east was our #1 spot and looked a 1926 house there , but at $185 G not interested. And I just don't have interest in SHORT SALES/BANK REPOS/REALTORS. We did find a small dead end street to the bay that we like,a little to the south. The Hood is only 3 blks away ( and it comes with "Girls Of the Night" But after living in Anchorage for 38 yrs it does not scare us. I think south St Pete had more crime in the 70S that it does today

Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Can't recall anyone stereotyping Black people like that .
Do you mean the "girls of the night" comment? I think he was referring to prostitutes. I know we saw our share of them in the middle of the day during our short stint in that area.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Nevermind

Old 10-02-2013, 06:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan adventurer View Post
Really? What the **** is your problem? Not sure of the girls color, to busy looking at the T&A,

The poster is responding to a post of mine which was deleted hence your probable confusion.
I was agreeing with your post and suggesting that it helps not to have a sterotypical image of black people when considering property in South St Pete.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The poster is responding to a post of mine which was deleted hence your probable confusion.
I was agreeing with your post and suggesting that it helps not to have a sterotypical image of black people when considering property in South St Pete.
Sorry for the confusion.

Cool -

Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM

120 posts, read 154,897 times
Hello Tampa Bay city-data folks! My name is Paul...first time poster - long time lurker.

I have made the decision to re-locate to the Tampa Bay area. I'm 51 years old, fit and very active. I'm looking
for a dense <Tampa Bay dense> diverse, walkable/bikeable, friendly, liberal, urban environment...on a budget :-)
I'm a retired police officer <Detroit> and have lived in major downtown neighborhoods. I well understand the
cost/benefits that come with urban living...and am actively seeking out those areas. Ideally, I would like to find
a 2 bedroom/1bath bungalow for $100,000.00 or below. With a relatively tight budget, I understand that some
of the premier neighborhoods will most certainly be out of my reach. However, two seem to be within my budget
and offer most, if not all, of my requirements. The first is Ybor City in Tampa. The second is the United Central neighborhood of St. Petersburg. A few questions if I may...

1) Can anyone compare/contrast Ybor City with United Central <or any close, in-town St. Pete neighborhood?>

2) Would it be fair to assume that I would find more single people my age in St. Pete? Ybor City? Tampa?

3) And lastly...and quite honestly the main point of the post...I found a home that I like, is affordable and seems
to be in a good location for what I'm seeking...walk/bikeable access to restaurants, cafes, live music, dive bars and
the sort. It's on 3rd Ave. South, between 36th and 37th streets. I know, it's BELOW Central! However, I've google
<view> mapped the neighborhood and surrounding areas and it seems quite nice. The crime reporting websites
for the area also come back benign. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the area...good or bad...and
would be willing to help me out? I'm fully aware it is an urban neighborhood...crime does, and will occur...and taking
a common sense/city approach to daily living is required. And even with all that, there are NO guarantees. However,
I don't want to be gambling with my life and limbs every time I set foot out of the house after dark either.
As a reference, I lived in the French Quarter of New Orleans for 2013...walked on foot ALL OVER...including the
surrounding neighborhoods...at ALL hours of the day and night...without fear or incident. I'm VERY comfortable
with that level of threat...surely, this block in United Central is not worse...or is it???

Thank-you in advance for any assistance you can provide...ALL ANSWERS ARE TRULY APPRECIATED!!! I look
forward to participating in this forum in the future and sharing my journey with any interested readers as it
unfolds!

Paul

Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM

528 posts, read 867,114 times
In all my experiences in South St Pete, I never seen anything bad go on. Theres obviously sketchy parts and yes I have been in Price Buster before. Some people do need the rent lower and I am not 100% for gentrification either so.. the reality is I may need a lower rent place one day regardless of who lives there and I will just have to take precautions and see where it is I am going to be moving to.. that's it and that's all.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-05-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 11:52 AM

120 posts, read 154,897 times
Thank-you for your input GoldCountry!

Anyone else have anything?

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay