Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,631,621 times

Advertisements

Here's another positive. I'm actively seeking employment out of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,134,578 times
Yeah sorry. I didn't expect this to get rid of the positive.

I was just making a point that I made decisions and I knew possible consequences from those decisions. I gambled. Now just because my gamble went wrong doesn't mean the government or employers should come to my rescue. Nor is it Florida's fault. Things would be worse if I wasn't in Florida.

Problem with society today is that we feel too entitled. We want lower taxes and we want cheaper products. But we want to be paid well, want everything made in the USA and want the Government to pay for our healthcare.

Somehow, supposedly, Florida Employers under pay and take advantage of people that live here. Well, I don;t think I am being taken advantage of at all. I get paid a lot in my paycheck because they don't pay for benefits. It makes sense. (ie; say I get paid 100K as a contractor. But as an employee I would be paid $75K because the benefit package they provide costs them $25K)

This isn't unique to Florida. And really? Florida is the only state that pays retail, fast food and other unskilled labor minimum wage? I don't think so. If you don't want crap pay, learn a skill that is in demand. If you love being a photographer, that's great. Just realize, very, very few photographer's make much more than crap pay over the entire year. This is not unique to Florida.

There are a dozens of other jobs I would love to have than what I have now. I would love.... to love my job. But guess what. I took a job that pays, not one that I love. It's called making a sacrifice to make more money to provide my family with more opportunities. Guess what. I would love to have a commute that is less than one hour each way.... but I chose this commute because this job pays well. I could have a 15 minute commute ....but make 50% - 70% less.

Some people on here sound like they think everyone should make the same wage, regardless of what kind of work they do and the government should provide everything they need. I believe that is called Communism. I could be wrong, not really into Politics.

Now let's face the facts. If I hadn't moved to Florida I would probably be unemployed or working for my brother's carpet store in Alaska..... starving. Instead I moved down here, ended up getting laid off and 1.5 months later I landed a job that doubled my salary. Sure, if I was a retail clerk I would be making less here than I would have made in Alaska. But, I'm not.

And don't even get me started on how much cheaper it is to live here than from where I came from.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 AM

35,755 posts, read 21,113,936 times
Costs money to get a better job-- ask how many kids now have over $50K in debt with student loans... The stats say only 4% of the population is a sit on your butt on drugs or lazy etc. who do not want to better themselves. ONE can only speak in part from one's experience, but not for all- so what did you do those months laid off? Many but many be at the homeless shelter- be glad you were not one of them- but do not look down of folks, who have NO alternatives. And for someone NOT into politics, you run a good line. 1929 it was the goverment who picked this nation back up and we ARE not communists! MANY families who are serving our nation today!- are on food stamps because the pay is not so great, not to speak of the men n women who return back home to find NO jobs,,, please--- !!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM

877 posts, read 1,915,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Yeah sorry. I didn't expect this to get rid of the positive.

I was just making a point that I made decisions and I knew possible consequences from those decisions. I gambled. Now just because my gamble went wrong doesn't mean the government or employers should come to my rescue. Nor is it Florida's fault. Things would be worse if I wasn't in Florida.

Problem with society today is that we feel too entitled. We want lower taxes and we want cheaper products. But we want to be paid well, want everything made in the USA and want the Government to pay for our healthcare.

Somehow, supposedly, Florida Employers under pay and take advantage of people that live here. Well, I don;t think I am being taken advantage of at all. I get paid a lot in my paycheck because they don't pay for benefits. It makes sense. (ie; say I get paid 100K as a contractor. But as an employee I would be paid $75K because the benefit package they provide costs them $25K)

This isn't unique to Florida. And really? Florida is the only state that pays retail, fast food and other unskilled labor minimum wage? I don't think so. If you don't want crap pay, learn a skill that is in demand. If you love being a photographer, that's great. Just realize, very, very few photographer's make much more than crap pay over the entire year. This is not unique to Florida.

There are a dozens of other jobs I would love to have than what I have now. I would love.... to love my job. But guess what. I took a job that pays, not one that I love. It's called making a sacrifice to make more money to provide my family with more opportunities. Guess what. I would love to have a commute that is less than one hour each way.... but I chose this commute because this job pays well. I could have a 15 minute commute ....but make 50% - 70% less.

Some people on here sound like they think everyone should make the same wage, regardless of what kind of work they do and the government should provide everything they need. I believe that is called Communism. I could be wrong, not really into Politics.

Now let's face the facts. If I hadn't moved to Florida I would probably be unemployed or working for my brother's carpet store in Alaska..... starving. Instead I moved down here, ended up getting laid off and 1.5 months later I landed a job that doubled my salary. Sure, if I was a retail clerk I would be making less here than I would have made in Alaska. But, I'm not.

And don't even get me started on how much cheaper it is to live here than from where I came from.
CD says I need to spread some reputation around before I give you more but this is a terrific post and I agree 100%!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Back to original thread- it is the people who make Tampabay what it is-- or is not,,,and mostly not.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
When you have many coming to Florida thinking they are just going to sit under palm trees on a beach all day reality usually gives them an ooops moment after they have arrived.Many come down to escape winter only to discover Floridas summers are harder to deal with than the winters they tried to escape...ooops I can see why some might be a bit grumpy or irritable when all the dreams they had of Florida turned out to be not what they had in mind..

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,164,239 times
I would think those without a plan are a minority. To do that, one must either be pretty much out of choices or simply nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When you have many coming to Florida thinking they are just going to sit under palm trees on a beach all day reality usually gives them an ooops moment after they have arrived.Many come down to escape winter only to discover Floridas summers are harder to deal with than the winters they tried to escape...ooops I can see why some might be a bit grumpy or irritable when all the dreams they had of Florida turned out to be not what they had in mind..

Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
There certainly are many that post and appear to have no clue about Florida, they have no idea what part of Florida they should move to or what they are going to do for work or schooling, the only thing they know for sure is they've had it with the cold and now want to live on a beach,,

Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM

477 posts, read 1,407,679 times
I have to agree with other posters that say when people move to Florida expecting to be at the beach every day and have daily life be like vacation, then they are going to be disappointed. I will also add, that like anywhere else, if one moves to Florida expecting it to be like where they came from and its not, then they are unhappy. My fellow NYer's are often guilty of this, and its nobodys fault but their own. Also, if one comes down here without a job or any $ and is not living as they want to, then yeah, they aren't going to be happy.

That being said, I am a soon to be St. Pete resident, moving down mid-November. I am looking for warmer weather, nicer people, and a slower pace of life. I am fully aware that St. Pete and Tampa are not NYC, but for myself, I have lived in the city and I work in Brooklyn and as much as I enjoy them, I am over the rat race in Manhattan. It was fun when I was 24 but I'm over that now.

Lucky for me, I landed a great job, a great apartment, and am starting to pack and get everything ready for the move. Looking foward to making new friends and enjoying what St. Pete has to offer!!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 AM

I am a native and love Florida, prefer the big city feel of S Fla, but enjoyed northeast Florida for years that was southern living to me and I did enjoy it. Circumstances make you move at times, and I picked Tampa as I thought it was an in between place of family. I ahve never lived in west Fla so I cannot speak about them, except for some fam I have there. Of all the places I have been- Tampa is the coldest people wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay