Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM

36 posts, read 72,993 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, me and my wife are making the move to Fl with my current employer, and we were there last week from Tuesday through Friday. First stop was Lakeland, yes a little country, but my uncle lives there, and he loves it, quiet, no one really bothers you, plus we found a REALLY nice community off a golf course that we fell in love with, plus, the area by the mall is not that bad! We also made our way through Brandon, which was great, but too pricey for us. Found some really nice places in north Tampa/Wesley Chapel, and we're between Lakeland and Wesley Chapel. I know, big difference between the two, but I'd rather save some money and buy a house after a year, which is our plan right now. Loved the area! Met up with some close friends and we went to Channelside and had a great time! Looking forward to the move in August!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
I lived in Lakeland for a few years and personally like Wesley Chapel better. It's much easier to commute to jobs in Tampa from Wesley Chapel and it's a newer, nicer area with a lot more construction still on the way. I understand you want to rent for now and save money, but you should move to the place where you think you're more likely to buy a house.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
I like Lakeland more than Wesley Chapel, since the latter is nothing but pure suburbia. Where are you working?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM

36 posts, read 72,993 times
Well I will have a field job, where I will be traveling between Tampa, Orlando and sometimes even WPB. I think Lakeland is very central and really love that the apartment we're looking at is right by I-4....but....my daily duties will be mostly in the Tampa area, so yes, Wesley Chapel is closer, and nicer, but gosh darn that construction that they have going on where they're widening the roads makes rush hour a nightmare!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
I've never heard of Brandon as being "expensive"

Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampafromPhilly View Post
Well I will have a field job, where I will be traveling between Tampa, Orlando and sometimes even WPB. I think Lakeland is very central and really love that the apartment we're looking at is right by I-4....but....my daily duties will be mostly in the Tampa area, so yes, Wesley Chapel is closer, and nicer, but gosh darn that construction that they have going on where they're widening the roads makes rush hour a nightmare!!!!
Check out the southwest part of Lakeland near the Polk Parkway, lots of new apartments there, and would be much more convenient for you. Beautiful shopping center, Lakeside Village is right there along with other amenities. Lakeland is a very nice place to live, it's an actual city rather than a suburb. I like it a WHOLE lot more than Wesley Chapel.

JMO

Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampafromPhilly View Post
The traffic won't be there forever. Like you said, they are expanding the road. I know a lot of people that live in Lakeland and can tell you that they leave Lakeland for just about everything other than grocery shopping. They do a lot of their shopping in the Tampa and Orlando areas, as well as family/children activities on weekends.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
The traffic won't be there forever. Like you said, they are expanding the road. I know a lot of people that live in Lakeland and can tell you that they leave Lakeland for just about everything other than grocery shopping. They do a lot of their shopping in the Tampa and Orlando areas, as well as family/children activities on weekends.
Like what? I lived in Lakeland for 2 years and never had to go out of town for shopping. Unless you mean really high end stuff. Lakeside Village and the mall north of town has all the basic mall stores. And then there are Walmarts and Supertarget, big, beautiful Publix stores and on and on. There is way too much traffic in Wesley Chapel (used to live just north of there), to me it's horrendous. Wesley Chapel has nothing that Lakeland doesn't have except more traffic. My husband used to commute every day from southside Lakeland to Tampa via Polk Parkway and I-4, and it was pretty easy. Plus, Lakeland is midway between Tampa and Orlando, perfect for the OP. He definitely should check it out and compare.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
That road widening won't solve anything. Once the market turns up again, you better believe that the developers aren't finished with the Wesley Chapel area yet.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
That road widening won't solve anything. Once the market turns up again, you better believe that the developers aren't finished with the Wesley Chapel area yet.
Yep, all the new residential and commercial/retail developments will come to Wesley Chapel, not Lakeland. But it will be a long time before the road needs to be expanded again.

The old Lakeland mall in the north started going down hill when they opened Lakeside Village- and Lakeside Village is far from a real mall. There's one decent movie theater in all of Lakeland, maybe an old bowling alley or two, and nothing else. I lived there for 3 years and everyone I knew wanted out. I guess it depends on the OPs age, since I am referring to younger people in their twenties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay