Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,251 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...need some opinions here. Myself and wife and 16 year old daughter are going to give Florida a shot to see what it's like. I want to be reasonably close to the ocean...don't have to swim in it just love looking ..preferrably within a 5 or 10 minute drive. I also need a good airport. I have pretty much decided that a cool area to be in Tampa, with lot's of things to do and hub-bub is the Hyde Park area. Also think it seems like Grant High school should be good for my daughter. I think popular areas like westchase or carrolwood may lack the scenery, and be a little spread out, and too much hassle to drive to downtown Tampa??... although much cheaper to live. On the West Coast...I like Delray or Boca...both again seem to have hub-bub and safe areas. I guess I have more entertainment value in Tampa and a better airport, while Delray has a town and restaurants right around the beach. Leaning to Delray vrs Boca because of reviews of Atlantic high school. Weather wise, east vrs west, I'm guessing the same or not much of a game changer? Is West Palm airport any good? Older crowd in Delray....will we get bored because all there is is shopping??? Any thoughts between the 2 different areas, maybe by anyone who has lived in both is really appreciated.

Last edited by pmcdowell; 07-26-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times
Well, pmcdowell, I haven't lived in both places, BUT I have lived in Tampa since 1968.
If you really want to be able to drive to the "ocean" in 5 to 10 minutes, south Tampa (Hyde Park) will not do it for you. Depending on what your employment needs are, you may want to consider Pinellas County. It is actually located on the Gulf of Mexico and you could definitely get to the water within 5 to 10 minutes...

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM

I guess I meant to really see the ocean...I understand there are no beaches in tampa, but it seems like there is a lot of shopping, restaurants and entertainment with views of the various harbors

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM

16 posts, read 37,397 times
Hyde Park is nowhere near the ocean. It borders the Hillsborough Bay, however.

PBI (the West Palm Airport) is much better than the Tampa airport.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
south Tampa (Hyde Park)
You all are mentioning "Hyde Park". What kind of area is this in Tampa~? Soon, I will be vacationing in the Tampa area and maybe I might pop over to see this area if I knew more about it.

I've been to Delray Beach twice and l-o-v-e-d it~! There is so much to do on Atlantic Avenue and always something going on there in "School Square". Seems like people my age in most of the night club establishments, but a variety of ages in the restaurants. It was so easy to find my way around, which amazed me. I got really comfortable there but soon will try the other side of the ocean. A lot of people from up east go to Delray Beach and that side of the ocean I have found out. I'm from Kentucky and I am told people go to the Gulf side of Florida from Kentucky and mid-western states.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 AM

Ok....Historic North hyde park....has a view of not the ocean but tampa bay and all the shopping, restaurants and entertainment seem to have a view of the bay also, unless there is a gigantic berlin wall blocking everyone's view. Interesting that west palm airport is better than Tampa's....r u referring to the amount of available destinations or the general appearance of the airport?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
North Hyde Park is a different neighborhood. You want regular Hyde Park, which is south of Kennedy Boulevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: